• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Do you agree or disagree?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don O

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, might as well put in my 2 bits worth.

I've been playing a 1979 LA Benge MLP (Bb) for about 20 years and I find that, as Walter says, when I'm in good shape, I play in tune pretty well. This is a good horn compared to others I have played over the years. I can usually hear if my pitch is flat or sharp. And, also as said here, tuning up with the others in the beginning of a practice or performance, allows you to tune up before you start to play such that you shouldn't need to adjust slides except on the rarest of occasions.

Yes, the ear is all-important and all musicians, and musicians in process, should practice ear training prodigiously.

Don Olmsted
wildebrook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, find the first valve slide easier to use than the third. A lot of the time I use it on low D's and C# instead of the third. There have been a lot of good posts here. Each horn that I have played has had different intunation tendencies. I am not sure about the theoretical stuff, but I would recommend that we all use a good tuner to see which notes need adjustment on the horn(s) we are playing. Some horns simply have "quirks". And, besides the horn itself, we might have tendencies to lip up or down certain notes without regard to the proper pitch. So, theory being theory, the proof is in the playing. If you haven't gone up and down the scale with a tuner, you might be in for a few surprises!
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got an advanced trumpet, I thought the first valve slide was so awkward, but after playing with it for a while, I like it the best.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
sfenick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself use the first valve slide for just about anything that requires throwing a slide (D, C#, etc).
Also, in the aforementioned Geyer interview, he gives an anecdote about Bud Herseth, who told him the first time they met that "[he] played all of his A's third valve."
Just thought that was pretty interesting. I personally never use slides on 1-2 valve combinations, just rely on my ear.
Thanks for reading!
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: