• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marching band and steroids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doublebuzz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello cats,
I was wondering how many of you are streroid users? Since my band director told me that would help my playing I have been an unable to stop. While it's true my upper register is better( I can really nail the double G's now!) but my low range sucks! My Mother says it is because I am lactose intolerant! What do you think? Barry Bonds does it so why can't I?
Later doublebuzz
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that some guys will go to great lengths to get better range, but I really hope that this is a joke.

Steroid abuse is bad. Just look at the pro wrestling community and all of the performers that are dead at around age 40 from complications coming from steroid abuse. If it takes drugs to do it, is it really worth it? I'm not talking about exercise supplements, because I use those, but steroids?!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So everyone in the sports community is juiced, guys don't get that big and strong naturaly and it's been going on for a while. But does that mean you should do it? If they all go jump off a building are you going to that too? Use your head music is all an important part of our lives, but it is just that a part, it isn't the whole thing, do really wan't to go to the doctor and find out your heart is the size of a soccer ball? Look at the comlications and risks and if you still want to do it, you need help. I hope this post was joke cause if it wasn't, that is the sadest thing I've read on this forum.

[ This Message was edited by: dwm1129 on 2002-06-11 11:48 ]
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this is a joke. If so, it's a pretty lame one. Although it is no joke in the sporting communities. And people around me wonder why I have little respect for big time athletics.
Larry Smithee
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this is a joke. If so, it's a pretty lame one. Although it is no joke in the sporting communities. And people around me wonder why I have little respect for big time athletics.
Larry Smithee
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Smithee
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drugs is bad.....mkay!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I think they killed Kenny
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Bastards!
trptmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steroids in the marching band community is not a joke and is growing fast. young students doing everything they can to obtain a better range will try just about everything to impress there fellow marching band members and teachers as well as find the quick fix for themselves. It is not a coincidence that these band players often times find themselves in the football locker room "just hanging out" or getting into slap the wet towel fights with the naked dude across the bench after practice. After they develop a relationship with these players the barrier has been let down and the steroids come out. It will add range but at what price? Please do not try this people. If you have your heart set on steroids and no amount of reason will stop you please consider using Creatine. You can find this at GNC.
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blue Devils from Concord, CA send MANY people to my high school band program and I must say that NONE of the Blue Devils that I have met use steriods. Once someone even asked some of our guys about it. If you are doing serious drill, while your playing may increase, your bp may increase as well, causing a risk of heart attack while marching. My high school performs DCI drill from the creator of the Blue Devils drill and I have to say from first hand experience that it is not easy and I can venture to guess that it will most likely hurt you.

If you have to use drugs to perform in a superior mannor, then how good are you, really? I mean, anyone can use drugs to get better but only a true musician can become better on their own accord.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
1935 H. N. White Co. Cornet - Denis Wick 4B
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to mention, creatine is still extremely dangerous if not used correctly (as everything is. Just be extra sure to use this stuff right. Its not like Ibeprofin where you can take a little more then it tells you too.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack

PS If you are in high school, most school systems are like mine in which if you are using these substances and someone finds out, the one who recommends you can get fired from their position if they work for the system and you can be barred from all physical extra-curricular activities.
1935 H. N. White Co. Cornet - Denis Wick 4B
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creatine is intended to help with short bursts of power as contrasted to overall endurance. Stay away from the steroids - they will hurt you in the long run. If you want to play better take it gradually and practice more.
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always tell which ones are the steroid users. They're usually the ones dragging their knuckles across the ground and grunt loudly for attention!!

"May the good sound be yours!"

"Always remember to blow into the proper end of the horn!"-circa. 1900 (Harry Gardoon)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to start any arguments but I've heard stories about blue devil memebers (some not all) have been seen taking weed and other drugs while on tour. They claim that it makes them perform better or whatever. I think that they are just crack heads. But taking drugs is just so stupid. Specially if you are going to use them to just gain a couple of notes. With time the range will come. I know that sometimes I wish I had a bigger range but that's what I work hard for everyday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Halfnote

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doublebuzz -
Let me first say how shocked I am that an educator would suggest such a regimen to help your playing. You should use your extra strength and aggressive tendencies to kick his ass. Then, you should get off that sh**, man. If you don't, your nuts will shrivel into raisins, your knees will crap out on you (see how much marching you'll do then) and you'll lose your hair by the time you're 25. Not to mention the potential risk of heart explosion! (that's right, you won't have a heart attack, your heart will simply explode!) There are some natural stimulants that could make a much better supplement to your diet and work out regimen. As already mentioned, though, make sure to use any such "enhancers" with care.

[ This Message was edited by: Halfnote on 2002-06-12 13:05 ]
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: dwm1129 on 2002-06-13 10:24 ]
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Blue Devils...when you are the best Marching Band in the world, people will say anything to discredit you. When I went from one of the worst trumpet players in the world to the second best in my school, you think all of the guys were like, "Oh wow, he must be good." Unfortunatly, the human tendency is to be jealous and that causes people to speculate why someone is so good.

If you have ever seen someone who has just smoked a join...there is no way they could marching in a straight line by any standards.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some side effects of 'roid usage:

Decreased sex drive
Testicular shrinkage
Decreased breast size in women
Irreversable increase in facial hair for women
Liver or Kidney desease
Cancer
Excessive Aggressiveness

All of these side effects were not near what I desired when I was in marching band. Check out the link.

http://www.steroidsinfo.com/effects.html

I would think long and hard before I would even consider steroid usage!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: