• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Soul music for Trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet Trousers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Soul music for Trumpet Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and would like some help......

I have played Soprano Cornet in a Brass Band in the UK for the last 25 years and can play most things while the music is in front of me! I recently bought a trumpet to have a go at playing Soul/Jazz/Swing type music, but I am struggling to pick up playing by ear. The reason behind this is there are Jam sessions on a Sunday evening in my local pub where various musicians turn up and play and I want to join in!

I know this won't happen over night, but I could use some help to get started. Also, is it possible to get Tabs like guitar tabs for trumpet? I have seen various sites but non seem to have quite what I'm after.....

Any help would be very welcome.

Cheers
Allan
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I also had to learn soul music by ear and I can share a couple of things that worked well for me.
First, make sure you know your scales; major, minor, dominant 7th, and pentatonic. A great way to really get a feel for these scales is to play a scale, then improvise over that scale until it feels natural.
Second, find some recordings similar to what you want to play at the local pub. As you play back these recordings, play along with your cornet or trumpet. It will take some time, but this "technique" is fun and it helped my ear tremendously, so hopefully it will help you also.

-Atom
Trumpet Trousers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Atom,

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go, guess theres no substitue for hard work and practice huh????

Cheers
Trumpet Trousers
=8¬)
jazzfunk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen, listen and listen! That is one of the keys to jazzplaying and improvising. (at least for me) Get the feeling for how you should sound. For that mellow, warm sound Freddie Hubbard is still yet to be mastered (check out Herbie Hancock on Blue Note and the tunes Watermelon Man, Cantalope Island, Drifting... where Hubbard plays the trumpet). These are fairly easy tunes that are easy to play along. It was one of these Hancock Blue Note records that really got me started.

cheers!
Jupiter slide trumpet

SC1 (when I'm working on MSC)
Asymmetric 342 Lead (when I fall back to old chops)
Bach 1C, Weril 46W, Asymmetric 545 Opera, Denis Wick 4 FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: