• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Bigger Mouthpiece??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: New Bigger Mouthpiece?? Reply with quote

My instructor has advised me that i might want to look into a bigger mouthpiece now that ive moved it up on my face and have more lip inside. But i play a 1.5C, and there's not much bigger than that. Anyway, should i look at a wider rim, a deeper cup, both, neither? Any ideas??

Stuart
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say bigger ... rim, cup, throat, backbore .... what??

Aren't you taking lessons w/ Kevin Lyons?? Ask him about that Parke-Merklo line ... I heard he plays a Parke-Merklo cup & BB with a Bach 1 rim. (2nd hand knowledge)
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bigger Mouthpiece?? Reply with quote

tpetplyr wrote:
But i play a 1.5C, and there's not much bigger than that.

Oh, sure there are.

There's the Bach 1. The Laskey 84's. The Schilke 20D2d. And the bathtub of all bathtubs, the Schilke 24.

If your instructor thinks you should get a bigger mouthpiece, in what direction does he think you should go? It sounds like he has something specific in mind.

Cheers,

Tom
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach 1/1x, laskey 84,

i love those mouthpieces. I myself play on an 84 md, and love it to pieces. Good rim, bath tub of a mouthpiece. I like it.

But try some out, possibly with your teacher.
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, Kevin plays a Parke but he told me to look around and see what I like. He just said bigger cup or rim. Not necesairily dealing with backbore's here casue the idea is to have more room for my chops to vibrate. He suggested I just go play some at Rich Ita's one day, and I was just looking for some input, espically if any of you have made hte same change i have.

Stuart
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be up front with you. Parke-Merkelo are far superior, to me at least, to most other mouthpieces I have tried. They are expensive thought ... I think around $200 - $250. The Parke-Merkelo seem to resonate better and have more 'clearness' to the tone production than the Laskey,Stork, and GR pieces I have used in the past.

But, mouthpieces are just like horns, you need to try a bunch of them to see which one 'fits'you. That is another reason I like the Parke mouthpieces .. they are three piece mouthpieces, rim, cup, and BB. So you can try a BUNCH of different combinations to find YOUR 'fit'.

BTW, check with Kevin, but Mrs. Parke told me they would be in ATL in November for GSU's BrassFest. You might want to try them out.

Looks like they are re-vamping the Parke website, so you may have to call directly to talk to Jeff or Dianne and get information.

phone (760) 365-5393
fax (760) 365-5696
PO Box 541
Yucca Valley, CA 92286-0541 USA
_Ford850
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a Bach 1 1/2 C as the standard try a 1 1/4 C this will be a little easier to blow and will be a lot brighterwith more room, the Bach 1C is a little brigherand will give you a lot more room for your face. Of the three I like the 1C best.
Getzen Renaissance
Conn V One C
Getzen 3850S cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: