• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who was Vincent Cichowicz?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, trumpet in CSO -- know that!, author of Flow Studies -- got that! But, I realized tonight that I know almost nothing about this other icon of the Chicago School. So, fellow TH members, what can you tell me about him? Where can I find out more? I recall a thread on TPIN a few years ago in which somebody discussed taking lessons from Vincent, and remember thinking "Wow! What a teacher!" I want to learn more, and refresh my (fading, if not failing, I'm afraid) memory.

Thanks!
Curious as ever - Don
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northwestern University professor is a former member of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Lyric Opera of Chicago, Houston Symphony, Grant Park Symphony, Fifth Army Band, and the Chicago Symphony Brass Quintet

ITG Journal Vol. 23 No. 2 (page 12)
What prompted the concept of "flow studies"?

VC: It was Clarke's contention that long-tone studies were potential dangerous. This brought me to the concept of flow studies. He dismissed long tones as being unimportant and wrote his Technical Studies, which in my opinion are somewhat misunderstood. While it appears to be a book devoted to finger dexterity, it really should be thought of as a series of long tone studies. The ability to move through different notes (first in simple patterns and then in more complex ones), has the rhythmic energy to encourage air to move through the instrument. Long notes can have a tendency to allow the air to become stagnant. His idea was to not only improve finger dexterity but more importantly, solidify the way we make sound.

ITG masterclass 1999:
In a masterclass at the ITG Conference in 1999, Cichowicz had all the participants work on the Technical Studies. Here is a quote from the masteclass: "The second warm-up Cichowicz asked Birnschein to do was the Clarke Second Study (a favorite one for his students). This is where the aspect of inhalation was addressed in depth. The "sticky" start of Birnschein's playing was a result of his initial inhalation. At this point, Cichowicz had Birnschein do air/wind patterns on the exercise. After several attempts, Birnschein produced the desired effect."

Go read Cichowicz on "Auditions"

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/3612/VC-Auditions.html

I'm not sure this is what you wanted though is it?

Yours Roddy o-iii<O http://www.R-o-d-d-y-T-r-u-m-p-e-t.cC

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Roddy, it's part of it, a very good part indeed -- thanks! I should have thought to check my ITG CD first -- duh!

I'd also like to hear personal stories from any students, masterclass participants, etc.

Don't stop now! - Don

p.s. When I saw Roddy had posted, my first thought was to see if there was a V.C. interview on his website...
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Don Herman, if anyone out there has had lessons from or attended masterclasses by V.C. - please share your knowledge and experiences with us.

Vincent Cichowicz retired from Northwestern University a few years ago, but I believe he has to be in the same league as teachers like William Adam, John Haynie, Clifford Lillya and Gordon Mathie etc.

Andrew Tomlinson

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2002-05-22 15:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2002-05-25 02:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2002-05-25 02:56 ]
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was Vincent Cichowicz?

The fact that someone had to ask this and the fact that there has been such a poor response to the request for V.C.'s students to share their experiences with us leads me to conclude that Mr Cichowicz's influence has not been as great as I had believed.

Andrew Tomlinson
sfenick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will tell you this.....not only was VC second trumpet with the CSO, he elevated that position to a level of respect almost equal to that of the principal chair. As for his ability as a teacher, I read an interview once that said that VC was not just a fine trumpet teacher, he would have been a great teacher of any subject. I really like the fact that one of the hallmarks of his studio is that he bred an atmosphere of COOPERATION, as opposed to COMPETITION. I think this is healthy, and really produces better musicians!
At any rate, he was fantastic as a trumpeter, and his reputation as a teacher is even better.
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am posting not because I have a wealth (or any, for that matter!) of information about VC, but because Mr. Herman suggested I relay a story that was posted in the (EGAD!) SuperChops forum.

My University Professor, Marcellus Brown, had the opportunity (and reason) to study with with some of the greatest teachers and players, including VC.

The reason was that Marcellus took a racquet ball racquet to the chops. (There is a dichotomy as to how this late 20's-early 30's student actually got the wounds, nudge nudge, wink wink, but the important bit stays true). I can't speak to exactly what went down in the lessons, but I can tell you that Marcellus told me he was known as a 'fixer' of sorts, when pertaining to embouchure problems or injury. He told me that if it weren't for VC, he wouldn't be playing today. (well, that was a few years ago...) I see that as high praise coming from him, as he studied with guys like Clifford Lillya, Armando Ghitalla and David Hickman.

Marcellus' biggest passion at this point is directing, and is a very in demand guest conductor and clinician, so I don't think he spends as much time as he would like with his trumpet.

David Mathie (Gordon's trombone playing son) also teaches there.

I'm sure there are a lot more interesting stories, with tons more information (hard not too!) about VC. So, let's be hearin' em!
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nick! Next? I know there are other great stories out there... If you're nervous about posting, you can always email them to me and I'll post them if you wish.

Toodles - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: