• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

History of the 7C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
topo3man
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: History of the 7C Reply with quote

What is the history of the 7C mouthpiece? Why is it that everyone seems to start out on this piece?
1939 Conn Cornet
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the 7C is a complete middle of the road mouthpiece. It's not too shallow, but not too deep. I actually would prefer starting kids out on something a bit less sharp, but that's just me. I know when I first started playing trumpet I attained an easy High C on it, but I think down the road it lead to some problems with excess pressure (not that it was all the mouthpiece's fault). Sometimes I wonder about starting kids on a 3C (large letters) instead, because I always found the 3C to be more "chop friendly", in my opinion. I'm not sure why. Also, from my experience, the large letter ones are much more comfortable than the small letter. Less bite, and encourages development more through the comfort. Again, simply my opinion from personal experience.
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a story that the 7C was Vincent Bach's mouthpiece of choice, and so he included it with the trumpets he made.

Not sure if that's true or not, but it is true that most off-the-shelf trumpets come with a 7C / equivalent these days.

I used to play on one, but can't stand the things now - they are way too sharp for me.
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Bachologist Roy Hempley and a very old (1924?) Bach catalogue, the 7C originally was a cornet piece, with the trumpet equivalent being the 7T.
Bachīs personal mouthpiece of choice was the #6 (no letter), AFAIK.
As to why the 7C has been chosen to be supplied with all Bach trumpets, I have no idea. Itīs a good mouthpiece, IMHO, but itīs pretty big in terms of cup volume, especially for beginners.

Martin
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And according to the Kanstul Comparitor the New York 6 is not a deep mp as the later number/no letter designations were. It's the NY6 that was Vincents' personal mp, not the MV6 or new 6. Or so I reckon...
HoltonMFhorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Right mpc for 10 year old.... Reply with quote

Wow....great topic to ask my question.....My neice started off taking lessons on cornet but the school district here is all trumpet.....I got a great deal on an Olds Ambassador which came with an Olds 7c. I use a Monette B6 which now she says she likes to use better than the 7c. I have no problem with this while she is taking lessons but the idea of her taking the $$$ mpce to 6th grade band next year does not sit well with me. I am encouraging her to use the 7c (mabey because when I was her age and even up till just recently the 7c was the Beginners mpc). If I remember the b6 is like a 3c I might be wrong though, would getting her say a bach 3c "solve" this problem? or is there another size she would be comfortable with that is close to a Mb6 or a 3c. Thanks for the help.

"If you practice an hour a day,you'll be like everyone else who practices an hour a day.If you want to be great , you be the one doing five hours a day" -Wynton Marsalis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: