• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schools in Missouri

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jam_Man_Tpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be a senior in high school and i am looking for a college/university to go to that would be good for a jazz trumpet player who would like to make it in the field of performance. I have been really considering University of Missouri in Kansas City Conservatory of Music. Just a few names there in the jazz program are Hal Melia, Bobby Watson, and Mike Metheny. I had Hal Melia for an adjutacator (at a local high school jazz festival) and as a teacher/clinitician at my All-District Jazz thing. Does anyone else know any good schools in Missouri that i should look into.

Thanks,
Ben Love

P.S.
In case anyone was wondering, I currently take lessons from Barry Springer. He plays lead for the Kerry Strayer Orchestra.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ben! I 'm from MO! But, went to engineering school... Played in the jazz band one year, but they really wanted music students, though Picard was really great.

Anyway, I've heard good things about the KC Conservatory, but honestly know little about it -- maybe I can ask around. The "main" music school is on the Columbia campus, where I went. I thnk Springfield has a pretty good music school -- hopefully Donovan will chip in (you out there, buddy?) since he's down there now.

Sorry not to contribute much, but got excited when I saw another "show me" poster..

Toodles - Don
johnny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jam man, if you are indeed considering performance, i would like to ask if you are going to recieve bright flight. to me, at this point, this would be the only reason to stay in MO. if this is the case, then UMKC is your only real choice. Things at MU have not been especially top notch for the last five years or so. don't get me wrong, i've had my share of fun, and the jazz coordinator here is a hoot, but with all the work he himself has put into the program, he just doesn't get ANY support from the rest of the faculty. that being said, if you are considering music ed, then this may be the campus for you. i could go on and on about strengths/ weaknesses here (i've been is columbia for the last 11 years), but i'd rather give you info via email if you're interested. let me know if i can help. john.thaddeus@verizon.net
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UMKC is a topnotch situation.

Also, I don't know anything about the trumpet teaching, but the jazz studies folks at Webster are outstanding. Of course, it's in Missouri, but it isn't a state school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: