• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

'In the bell' trumpet stands - safe?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone ever have theirs stick? The guy next to me in band gets his stuck in the bell all the time.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't use the K & M stand on my old Yamaha 2330 cornet. Apparently the bell flare was too tight so I had to take the stand and carefully sand the end of it (the stand that is) to reduce the diameter about 1/8". After that it was fine. No problems with the K&M flugel stand (5 leg) nor trumpet stand (3 & 5 leg) in any of the other instruments I've used them on.
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jophst"]As long as you don't forget it's in there when you take the horn out..........quote]

Joshua makes an excellent point, especially when using a gig bag. If you forget it's in the bell, there's a chance it'll dislodge when removing the horn causing the narrow end to slap up against the top of the bell. I have been forgetful a few times and fortunately got by without a ding, but no longer risk it.
VM Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpetplyr wrote:
Are stands of any type (but espically these, because i own them) safe for tuning bell trumpets (a la Kanstul Eb, a schilke style tuning bell)? Im worried that gravity will unduly stress the joint between the bell and the body and eventhall the valve block will plummet to the earth at 9.8m/s/s.

Stuart

That's only in a vaccuum. Where there is air, it should only hit at about 9.5 m/s/s.

To stay with the topic, I too have a K&M 5-leg stand and it is really great! Love it to death, very handy, but adds a lot of weight to the overall package. Nothing that a couple of curls can't fix....

- VM Trumpet
Kanstul BMV 1 1/2C/10, W3S/RZR, Yamaha 11B4
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point of objection, yer honors. "m/s/s" is a term of acceleration... literally "Meters per second squared". The object will hit at a particular velocity, "M/s", which is an integration of the previous term and is a function of the time (or distance) through which it falls (accelerating the whole time until it hits terminal velocity).

tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe it would help if i rephrase the question as such: Is the coefficent of static friction large enough to overcome the force of gravity? Or will my valve block come crashing to the ground?

Stuart
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on what kind of surface your valve block is resting when a force which would move it from its present location is applied.

Of course you realize that once the valve block starts moving, the coefficient of static friction is no longer applicable and you must use the coefficient of dynamic friction.

tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The valve block is being held onto the bell by two screws, and im simply wondering if it is safe to put a tuning bell trumpet on a stand...

Stuart
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedoggy wrote:
JackD wrote:

I wouldn't leave these things in the bell overnight though - even after a short time in the case I find there is a lot of moisture being held in by the stand.

Excellent point - thank you. I would likely have left it in there all the time and wondered why my horn smelled funny.

I have had the same thing with moisture.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest, I have never owned a tuning bell trumpet.

I don't believe I have ever heard of this being a problem however. I would think that you don't have anything to worry about unless you are slamming the horn onto the stand or you are in the habit of not tightening up the two screws that clamp the bell to the 1st valve ferrule and the bell to the valve block "slide"... and then you would have other things to worry about rather than the horn slipping off the bell tail. Still, it's a fair question. (as I was told by one of my old professors... "the only stupid question is one that is not asked")
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone use one for an Eb trumpet bell? What fits in it? I can't seem to find anything that will work.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Manhassett trumpet stand.
jtrumpet1983

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how common of a problem this is but it freaked me out. I have both a 5 leg K&M and a 3 leg. I was at a rehersal this summer and the music was at a passage that I did not play on for a while. I was sitting there kind of day dreaming when I noticed my horn was falling. I moved as fast as I could an caught it before it fell over. I picked up the stand (5 leg) and noticed that the grey piece of plastic that the legs screw into came off and the top of the stand fell. I still need to super glue the grey piece into the stand. That shook my confidence in the stand. Has this happened to any of you? All of my other K&M stands are of great quality.

Justin
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my stand with my tuning-bell E flat all the time. No problems at all. Sometimes the stand may not want to go all the way in the bell; you can either just let it sit like that or put a foam donut on the stand to take up the space. I've even been known to stick my piccolo on there from time to time -- wouldn't want to do it in a hurry, but I can't see that it's done any damage.

My stand does tend to stick a little in the bell of my C trumpet (229). This isn't unusual -- I know other people with the same problem, and some people with the same horn and same stand and no sticking whatsoever. Go figure. I just have to give it a little twist when I pick it up. My stand lives in the bell of my horn. If you're fanatical about keeping the horn shiny or grossed out by a little condensation it's probably not a good idea but otherwise I have never heard of anybody having a problem with it.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quasi funny story... One performance, I was using my old Bach 37 with (all) the slides pulled to put it into A. It worked well, and I got the idea from the principal who was doing it, so at least we were off together.

Flip put a strip of cork on the end of my K&M stand for me, to eliminate any chance of damage to my WT's bell.

You can see it coming... The bell flare isn't as open on my 37, and one time I pressed a bit too hard. I pulled the horn up and played, but it sounded funny and was waaay too heavy -- the K&M was stuck in the bell. As the other two trumpet players were laughing uncontrollably, the conductor said the passage didn't call for a mute, and why did mine have legs on it?
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used my 3 leg stand for a number of years and it has always done well by me. But about a month ago, in an outdoor gig, I stood to take a flug solo. I disrupted the grass around the tpt stand enough that it started to tip over. Luckily, I was playing alongside Tony D., a great player in the Philly area who also happens to have very fast hands. He grabbed my beautiful Callet just before it crashed. Thank you Tony. Avoid grass, other uneven surfaces, and slowhanded bandmates! - Kyle
music matters
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tootsall - I can't see anything wrong with the original statement saying it is plumetting to earth in terms of its acceleration, instead of its velocity as most people might say. I also have extreme doubts as to whether it would be dropped in normal circumstances from a height great enough to reach it's terminal velocity!!

Take care all with stands plummeting to Earth at terminal velocity......!
MM
By the way I have a 3 legged Kand M - I don't think it has reached terminal velocity as yet, but it hasn't toppled over at a gig yet either, these events I am sure are independent..but I am careful not to drop it from a great height! I have an Extreme Pro Pac case and it fits nicely in the outer pocket along with my metronome and other goodies such as my copy of Einstein's book entitled "The Study of Trumpets Travelling at a Speed Tending Towards The Speed of Light To Enable Inept Trumpeters to Practise The fast Twiddly Bits With More Time".
horndevil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 3 leg and 5 leg trumpet stands but only use the 3 leg for the cornet now because the trumpet bell is large and it can tip the 3 leg over if it moves around on the peg I don't store these stands in the bell as there is room in both cases. The 5 leg Flugel stand is also very good and always lives in the bell due to the lack of room in the case.

Ian Barnes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: