• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 1 1/2 C with a 3C rim?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arsch Frisst Hose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Bach 1 1/2 C with a 3C rim? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a 3 rim on top of a 1 1/2 C underpart. If so, feelings about the piece, etc...would be appreciated.

I've currently got a 1 1/2 C with a full-schmitt set-up and love it - however the 1 1/2 rim is really too big for me, thus I keep switching back to my 3C. I'm not totally happy with the 3C though, as it's not quite the sound I want, but is close, and I'd really like the best of both worlds.

Anyone go through this before?

Thanks,

AFH
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a 3B?
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 5C underpart would also be a good choice. Deeper than the 3C.

romey
Arsch Frisst Hose

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes I've tried a 3B and I've also tried a 3B with a 3C rim - as they seem to be quite different. Not too crazy about the 3B for whatever reason - maybe it's the stock backbore that the B cups come with. Anyway, I like the clarity of the C cup a bit better than the Bs - just a bit more versatile for what I do.

I'm having the underpart threaded on the 1 1/2 C that I mentioned above and I'm also having a 5C worked on as well. I'll probably open it up to a 26 and get a 24BB. That way I can try my 3 rim on them both. Do you think I shouldn't mess with the bore of the 5C? Will it seem stuffy or small without an alteration? Or should I send them two? Dunno....

Any thoughts on that?

AFH
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the farthest I've ever gone with alterations is simply having the bore enlarged. I haven't messed around with different underparts (or underpants... <g>) either. That said, I've tried lots of stock pieces with altered bores... You might try one of the other sizes in between, like the 2 or 2 1/2.

The only reason I advocate finding the right stock mouthpiece (bore size aside) is that if you lose a mouthpiece made up of various screw rims and underparts, it's a lot harder to replace than simply buying a new stock piece and having it opened up.

One other thing... there are mouthpiece makers out there (Vladimir at Dillon's, for one, or Chuck McAlexander at the Brass Lab) who can deepen a cup for you and work with you to get what you want...

Best of luck to you!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the setup I've been using for a few years now. My teacher often uses this setup and he knows several other sucessful players who have done the same when they decided that their stock 1-1/2C's were too much effort. The underpart I use has a 76 backbore. For some reason I like a little more backpressure.

I've used it for big band, symphony, shows, and quintets with favorable results. I really like the 1-1/2C sound but it takes me too much effort. Like you indicated, the 3C just doesn't sound as full to my ears. The 3C rim on the 1-1/2C bottom helps me noticably in this regard.

I've recently started working on a Reeves 43NM to help in the lead department (range and getting out front) but I doubt it'll ever sound as nice as the Bach. To my surprise switching back and forth hasn't been difficult.
stef
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, when i was doing the conservatory i was playing a bach 1.1/5C. But when i stop it, for jazz and funny play a tried to found a smaller piece to help me, and the logical way was to go on a 3C. But the cup was too shalow for keeping a great sound as a 1.1/5C. Finally i found with a Curry 5C, a good alternative. The cup is similar as a 1.1/5C with a small diamter for great endurance.

But next week, i'll try a stork model, i heard good things about it.

Also Curry can do that: http://www.currympc.com./v.php?pg=456

good luck, stef.
dominicano224
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried the curry 3BC. It has the 3c rim but with a b cup, schmit backbore and 24 throat. it is way better then the 3B. it gave the same range as a 3c(after adjustment) and better sound.
stef
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,

Today im selling almost all my stuff, maybe this model can the model you're looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41398&item=3757593637&rd=1

I have also 2 others model, check it.

all the best
Ludlow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: 1 1/2 C rim on a 3C cup Reply with quote

Armando Ghitalla used a 1C rim on a 3C cup in 1954.
Arsch Frisst Hose

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your input. I'm having the work done now and am looking forward to the result. I've sent off a 1 1/2 and also a 5C to be threaded so I can put my 3 rim on them. Hopefully this will be a bit closer to what I'm looking for.

Thanks again,

AFH
DomCal9S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the ID differences in the two mouthpieces that wouldn't work without causing a "step-down" in the cup section.
Arsch Frisst Hose

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured there would be a bit of a difference, but just to try them out at first was the point. Then I can have things worked on further.
BStrad43
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a 1 C with a 23 throat and a 57 backboard to a stock 5B, and I am extremely amazed on how much more control I have with the horn. Bights are easy, darks are even easier and there are no breaks when traveling from extreme highs to extreme lows. However, it took about three weeks to get used to it. But, I recommend it.

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: