• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should I switch to a size 6 mp?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soontir2432
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Should I switch to a size 6 mp? Reply with quote

A couple months ago, I switched to the Bach 5C and I really like how the rim felt and the sound that I am getting from it. The only thing is that I think it is a bit too big for me as I tried my old 7C and I felt more comfortable with it.

Could I compromise it by playing a size 6C to get the best of both worlds?
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of things could happen if you switch the a 6C. You may love or hate it. My advice though, for what it's worth, would be to find the rim you find most comfortable and try to decide upon a mouthpiece based on that. If you felt more comfortable on the 7C but felt the sound wasn't what it could be, why not try a 7B? Or even a 7?
_londonhusker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commit to your playing your 7c until you can clearly articulate a good reason to change. Then if you do eventually change, do it slowly and in small stages.
so55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody compare 7, 7A and 7B? Is it still a "trumpet sound" that you get with 7A?
Soontir2432
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

londonhusker wrote:
Commit to your playing your 7c until you can clearly articulate a good reason to change. Then if you do eventually change, do it slowly and in small stages.

Well the main thing about this 7C (it's unmarked too) is that I really don't like the rim but I like the cup diameter. There is an inner rim to it where it descends from the main rim before the cup and I really don't like that.

I am using an almost plateless chip off shank Blessing 7C and it's rim is close to the 5C but I'd like something a bit flatter.

Edit:
blasticore wrote:
If you felt more comfortable on the 7C but felt the sound wasn't what it could be, why not try a 7B? Or even a 7?

I will try them and see what happens. I'm contemplating about the the 6B and BM too as they seem to have the same diameter.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like a flatter rim - you might give the Bach 6 a try - with an enlarged throat you can get a sound that is close to a much larger mouthpiece. (The rim shape feels similar to the Schilke 13a4a and Yamaha 14c4 rims.) It also plays well with a 24 style backbore. The 6B also has a better rim (if you don't like the 7C). The 6B is also available as the 6BM - #26 throat and #24 backbore as stock - no additional charge.
jjohnson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

londonhusker wrote:

That really hits the mark! Years ago I fell into the trap of rushing to the next size bigger when I was nowhere near ready for it. I have now come full circle and have been on a 7C for a few years now. This is one of those "if I could start again" issues for me. I've resisted a change for the bigger but this conversation has thrown the switch.
jazzr69
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second the bach 6 suggestion. no letter, just "bach 6". it has a flatter rim that you will probably like, based on your impressions above. i played on one for a few years in high school when i thought bach's were the only mouthpieces available! the deep cup makes it tough to cut through, but fairly easy to get a full "darker" sound, if you're into that kind of thing. i even had the rim cut off and threaded to a stork c and d cups for some more versatility. that was years ago, but it worked well for me back then. good luck!
Soontir2432
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzr69 wrote:
i second the bach 6 suggestion. no letter, just "bach 6". it has a flatter rim that you will probably like, based on your impressions above.

I just got the 6 today and you're right, it's perfect!

Thanks for all the input.

(Whoo hooo!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: