• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DEBATING FORUM

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to jump in here..but if you don't mind my making a point best served on a "hardball forum"

I like to look at the positives and negatives of every individual I encounter and respect their methods of operation whether I agree with them or not.

Having said that(hope I can make this point clearly):

There are a number of people on here who have hiden or blatently obvious business commerce concerns. To date, I have received more free information (than having to pay for it) from some of the folks mentioned here...and I appreciate it.
A fellow was mentioned in this thread who is being taken to task more than he may deserve(or is neccesary).

I certainly have no hidden agenda.
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there has been alot of information given to me free of charge including a few free face to face lesson with Lee Adams. Another member who comes to mind is Bruce Lee, while he does advertise on the trumpet herald he does so with ads he has paid for which help support this site. Bruce is also very free with information that is very helpful. As far as someone getting more attention than is warranted all I can say is he gets what he asks for. That is free also.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Jake,

Haven't spoken to you in a loooong time! Can you email me your current address? A month ago I tried the one listed, but no luck.

Yes, there's nothing like a debate about the value of debate, on a thread about debating the merits of a debate forum.

Ah, smell that clean air!

Jeff
http://www.trumpetteacher.net
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All,

We're already on page 4 on this topic debating on how to have a debate forum. Now that's Cool. And also some posts have completely gotten of the topic of this forum except to debate one another. Good Start!

Maybe It's just me but I can see nothing but success coming out of this. Yeah Right!

I still say if we respect each others opinions for what they are and respect each other like we would like to be respected, cut out the BS, we would all be better off.

Good Luck,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-08 11:03, Lee Adams wrote:
Redface

The physical mechanics required of playing the trumpet are certainly something that I can not disclaim.
In some areas of the physical aspects of trumpet playing mechanics very little research, logical thought or clarity exist in proving some theories,opinions and teachings. Players deserve to know if what authors in this forum offer as advice is solid in a "real debate"
I say this because for years I was misled by opinions of certain teachers about the physical mechanics of playing and my ability to play "music" suffered as a result.
I see those same opinions being offered even today with few people benefiting from them.

For a player who has had a breakdown in their playing (chops crashed and burned) to the degree of quiting the instrument. Charly and I and many others have suffered from this similar condition, and thats why we appreciate clarity and truth in teachings. We have gone down some dead end streets and want other players to have a better chance at improving with solid teachings.
Therefore backable teachings and ideas are very important. At least I have found that I can do a much better job as a teacher if I seek and share quality advice. I find great joy in a student only needing to see me once or twice and with the proper evaluation and advice applied to the physical mechanics often they can exceed years of being held back with a glass ceiling over them something that may have hindered them for years like, poor endurance, limited range etc....
Then their ability of playing music reaches an even more enjoyable level.

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Lee Adams on 2002-07-08 11:44 ]</font>

Lee,
I think you may be assuming too much about me - i too have had chop problems, resulting in a complete embouchure change (starting with 2 weeks of just buzzing with no mpiece or trumpet). This chop change was necessitated by poor teaching from previous teachers who had given me false information. I wholeheartedly understand and appreciate the need for accurate and truthful teachings - However,I believe that there are many different ways to achieve the end musical result : to change pitch you can use tongue level, embouchure tension, changing the size of the aperture, change in air speed, pressure or (usually) any combination of the above. many people use different embouchure styles, superchops, maggio, the pivot system etc. but all of them work for some people and not for others. Just as different people have different musical tastes, the widely varying physical characteristics of the human species will always mean that not all of the "truths of trumpet playing" hold for everyone. I am well aware of the need to share knowledge in order for us all to progress and learn as trumpeters, but i think it is all too easy to lose sight of the ultimate goal, in the jungle of technical knowlegde that is out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: