• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Timing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Semman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Timing Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am a new registrant to the Trumpet Herald, and a Come Back Player. I started last January after a 35 year hiatus. I picked up a few no name instruments on e-bay, and rent a Bach student trumpet, which is the primary instrument of practice. Normally I practice about 30 min to 1 hour per day (usually 30 min in my truck during lunch on a LeVal pocket trumpet and 30 min at night on the Bach). I use both a Bach 3c and a Bach 5C and can reach high C regularly. While I would like to consider myself an intermediate player, my major fault lies in timing. I have an electronic metranone (somewhere), but it beats to seconds, etc. is there any formula that would translate the seconds to the beat, i.e. 2/4,3/4 6/8?

Thank you in advance for any info I can receive.

Gary L.
Jansu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cant change the tempo the metronome clicks to?! So its constantly beating at 60 beats per minute? Probably the best solution would be to get a better one, but I dont understand why such a metronome would exist...
Mr. Semman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Timing Reply with quote

My metronone can be adjusted to various beats. The problem is that the dial read in beats per minute, not in 2/4,3/4 etc. I was just looking for a simple formula that would show that 2/4 = x number of beats per minute, so that I could adjust the metronone to that, and play my piece.

Thanks for the reply.

Gary L.
KCWolfPck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Reply with quote

Mr. Semman wrote:
My metronone can be adjusted to various beats. The problem is that the dial read in beats per minute, not in 2/4,3/4 etc. I was just looking for a simple formula that would show that 2/4 = x number of beats per minute, so that I could adjust the metronone to that, and play my piece.

Thanks for the reply.

Gary L.

The beats per minute is the Tempo. Tempo is the same regardless of what time the piece is in (2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 6/. I think what you may be asking for is a metronome that accents the 1st beat? If not, I don't understand your question.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All metronomes can be adjusted for tempo (beats per minute). Most of the electronic ones can be adjusted to display the downbeat with various rythms (2/2, 4/4, 3/4 etc). Some of them will produce a different sound for the downbeat. Some of them will produce a different light color for the downbeat. Some of them can be adjusted to show the beat and the "and" only, others can subdivide by displaying a light sequence.

Remember that the tempo is the number of quarter notes per minute unless stated otherwise on the music. You do the math!

Some metronomes have built in tuners, others will produce a 'standard' A=440 tone to tune to. Many don't have any tuning function.

Metronomes are not expensive.

Check some of the big, online stores or your local music shop.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.
Mr. Semman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Timing Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.

Gary L.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: