• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece & Receiver gap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece & Receiver gap Reply with quote

I cannot seem to find it, but I do remember reading something at one time that told 'us' what the main differences, pros & cons of various Mouthpiece/receiver gaps

Can anyone explain ...

Large gap =
Smaller gap =
Ideal gap should be =

** or at least point me to the thread from AWHILE back or the webpage it is on ...

Thanks!
Joel
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok first off this is an extremely debatable topic. I do not think there is any consistent answer. And there are benefits (supposedly) to both. I still have not formulated any opinion since I understand the benefits to both. On the Schilke Loyalist there is an article in favor of no gaps. I have also found people and makers that say the stream interruption caused by the gap allows for better slotting. Personally I haven't tried enough horns to look into it.

Gary Radke (GR Technologies) is in favor ot the gap from what I've read. http://www.grmouthpieces.com/questions17.htm

Warburton is also in favor of the gap. http://www.warburton-usa.com/gapcheck.htm

There is also an article in the May 1979 ITG Journal on this as well.http://www.warburton-usa.com/gapcheck.htm[/url]

Last edited by hazmat on Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazmat wrote:
Ok first off this is an extremely debatable topic. I do not think there is any consistent answer.

There's no doubt that gap has an impact on the response of a trumpet. If you have access to Reeve's mpcs with the various shank sleeve, you can easily feel the difference that only a mm change will make.

Dave
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcstep wrote:
There's no doubt that gap has an impact on the response of a trumpet. If you have access to Reeve's mpcs with the various shank sleeve, you can easily feel the difference that only a mm change will make.

I didn't say it didn't make a difference. I'm sure it does. I just never looked into it. From what I've heard different people say, some like the feel better with and some without it. And a millimeter is a huge difference in size so I can understand it feeling different.

Matt
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the endlessly intruiging topics...

Apparently many cornets--esp. older ones--are built with no gap, or to be more accurate, no "ledge" where the receiver meets the leadpipe. It's possible to infer something about "no-gap" playing characteristics from this, given the more slippery feel of some cornets.

Also, I have learned recently that many, if not most, vintage trumpets--for example, 1920s-era Conns--were designed with no gap. One easy way to make these very old trumpets have a modern blow and sound is to put on a modern receiver.

Despite what that Dr. Schilke article says, Schilkes are built to have an optimal, specific gap (when using Schilke mps). GR pieces also seem ideal on Schilkes. The S22 is built to have a larger gap than the B series. One bit of conventional wisdom is that a smaller gap is better for "jazz", and larger is better for "classical"--though these terms are to be taken with a grain of salt. Charlie Melk uses .145" as an all-around, decent gap.

It's likely that one aspect of the modern trumpet is the necessity of a built-in gap. Given the gap's importance, makers should be very rigorous about the way they affix the receiver to the leadpipe. And players should be aware that some mouthpieces may not provide the optimal gap for them.

Receiver adjustments are quick and inexpensive.

https://vectortrio.bandcamp.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: