• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

naive buyer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmcgarry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: naive buyer Reply with quote

I have immersed myself in opinions and prices on trumpets in the last several days. I’m looking to buy a trumpet for my wife. She was a pretty good player, but her horn was lost/stolen in the moving process. I’m looking for some advice and you guys seem to be quite honest and knowledgeable. I’m looking to spend $400-$500 for a decent used horn. I know she has always wanted a silver horn so that is what is what I’m looking for. I found a Holton T602S Silver plated Bb trumpet for $395. It comes with a Pro Tec case, Bach 7C mouthpiece, valve oil, etc…

Is this a decent horn? Is the price reasonable? I appreciate any input.
karlose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Holton T602S is just a silver plated Student line horn. For the amount you are wiling to spend, you can definitly find a pro horn. I have NEVER spent more than $600 on a PRO horn and I have had many! Take a look at pawn shops and ebay. Also here at the TH there are sometimes good deals on horns.

The Price for that Holton is a little high I think...being that it is a student horn. Hope this helps and good luch in your search!

Marcinkiewicz™ Rembrandt™ "MIC GILLETTE" Model: SC3X.351L RLP Trumpet

F.E. Olds & Son "Clark Terry" Flugelhorn

"SHUT UP AND PLAY!!"
Yoder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, being a ZeuS dealer may I recommend the ZTR 250?

Here is are some reviews and quick stats: http://www.trumpetreview.com/showproduct.php?product=148&sort=8&cat=71&page=1

And here is where you can get one" http://www.co-bw.com

Granted I am a ZeuS dealer, but it is a lot of horn for the money and is why the band directory at the school where I work is endorsing it for the beginners over all other horns.
Gilligan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second that on the skip the 602 horn. It is a basic student model.

For about 600 I'll bet you could find an LA Ambassador, send it to Kanstul, have them add a new 43 lead pipe, amado water keys, a round tuning slide and scratch lacquered finish.

DO a search on Ambassador modifications. There are some great posts on this.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $400-$500 I would aim on getting a nice used Yamaha intermediate model ... either the 4335GS or the 5335G Allegro model. They play better than some pro line horns today and they are very consistently made also.

If not that, you may find a Getzen Eterna used in that price range as well ... outstanding horns for the money!!
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_Ford850
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, what Josh said.... The Getzen 700 is a wonderful horn, it is on the bright side but really sings and has a personality, a great horn for the price. Another great and undervalued horn is the B&S 3137/2, it is essentially a Bach 37 but less expensive. Good luck, are you sure you want to do this without her "help"?
Getzen Renaissance
Conn V One C
Getzen 3850S cornet
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find a Getzen Eterna 700 or 900 for around $500, silverplated, both wonderful playing horns with great valves. If you get lucky, you might be able to find a Benge 3X, I bought one silverplated for $550 and it was a terrific pro horn. I would steer clear of a Holton 600 series horn, they are very undistinguished student horns. If you can find a Holton Symphony T-101 - that is an outstanding horn. A Bach Mercedes can be a great horn and is the same as a Bach Stradivarius except for the two piece bell. You might also find a Blessing ML-1, a very underated horn. There's a lot out there. I wouldn't spend money on an Olds Ambassador when you can get an Olds Special or Studio for around $500, both superior horns. The best playing trumpet I ever bought for $400 was a Donald E. Getzen (DEG) "signature 2000", absolutely incredible valves and bright, vibrant sound. You can do better than you may think for $500.
bdev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich G mentioned the Olds Studio. I have an Olds Studio that I am about to list on ebay....rmcgarry...if you are interested please send me a personal message and I'll send you info on this horn. It is nickle-silver and was made circa 1968.
Reynolds Emperor Trumpet (1961)
Bach Strad 37 Trumpet
Holton 25 Cornet / Bach 6
MDT Morrison Trumpet (wind controller)
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For just a little more money you may want to look at this. Disclaimer: I don't know the seller but his feedback looks good.

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3766390510&rd=1
old geezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: new horn Reply with quote

First and formost your wife should play the horn before you buy it, it is her horn. My wife and I both play,[she is the good one-I am just average]
and we do not like the same horn. I was going to sell my L.A. Benge ML because it plays too stuffy she picked it up this week and it plays very open for her. My L.A. Benge MLP plays great for me but she thinks it plays stuffy. What I am saying is that there is no right horn that fits everybody, so take her with you and each play the horn( you can listen to the tone and guide each other besides getting a little one on one. Good luck and happy hunting. old geezer Dave
Yamaha Mike Vax 450573
Yamaha 231 Flugel 15383
Olds Amb. Cornet 50734
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$400-$500 would get a Olds Super, which is more of a pro horn than the Olds Studio. I would look for a good Super.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: