• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can anyone help identify my trumpet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
strawman37

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Can anyone help identify my trumpet? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I just recently became the owner of a silver Yamaha trumpet that belonged to my Grandfather. I know very little about it and was hoping that someone out there could point me in the right direction to find out more information. The trumpet has YTR-732 stamped on the middle cylinder. I don't know when or where it was made or how valuable it is. I have no clue if it is a student trumpet or a professional model. Any information you can provide would be most appretiated. Thanks for your help in advance.
Sincerely,
Scott
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a step-bore design horn that was replaced by the Shew YTR-6310Z. I believe it was a Schilke B6 copy. Definately professional.

According to this website it was made from 69-78. My only concern would be that it might have the yamalloy valves that had a sticking problem.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,6373,CNTID%253D24450%2526CTID%253D241400%2526LGFL%253DY,00.html
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that´s one of the forefathers (-mothers?) of the Z. The lineage goes something like this: 732 - 636 - 6310(B) - 6310Z. All variations of the same theme, i. e. medium bore, large bell. I have the 6310 (no letter), and it´s a great horn. TH top poster trumpetmike recently raved about a 636 he came across, so yours should be a fine instrument.

It could be indeed affected by the infamous Yamalloy curse, but there´s a cure for that. Jim Donaldson has everything you need to know:

http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke/Miscellaneous.html#Yamalloy%20Valves

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: