• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

No bids????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tooslick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: No bids???? Reply with quote

I can't believe it! C'mon people! It's one of a kind!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3765387491&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious or kidding? I mean it's a nice horn, but $2000?! You have got to be kidding me. I think everyone can find a better use of their money.
tooslick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm...I was kidding. It looks to be a below average condition Getzen Super Deluxe, probably early 60's. I have 2 of them(so much for 1 of a kind). The seller has zero feedback and is trying to make a killing on a pretty common horn by misrepresenting it. These horns are going on ebay for $150-$250.
Dano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Getzen Super Deluxe Model #92 Reply with quote

A beautiful horn indeed!! Don't think is one of a kind though!
Right now proudly displayed in the Getzen lobby is a large sales poster from the 1950's Super Deluxe line.
The Super Deluxe line includes Trumpets, Cornets, Harold Trumpets, Baritones, Trombones, Valve Trombones ect......

The Trumpet line had 3 models
All three of these horns were built pretty much the same except for the different bell stem materials used.
Model #90 is the most common and can be found on ebay just about any day of the week. These had a Yellow Brass bell.

Model #91 was considered the Artist Model of the line. It came with a Sterling Silver Bell. Definitely not as common as the #90 but was considered top of the line. Last week a fully restored #91 had a buy it now of $875. Don't think it sold?

Model #92 is the Copra-Temp version of the horn. All copper bell. Like the Artist Model, the Copra-Temp wasn't as common as the #90

Looking at the pictures of the bell you can see a knurled line over the 2 piece seam near the end of the bell. The words Compra-Temp can also be seen. All these horns were absolutely beautiful in the day! All had three color combinations covered in clear laq.

Last summer Tom Getzen showed me his newly rehabed Compra-Temp Cornet. I now have one being restored as well!! I payed about $130 for mine in need of restoration. I would guess the Cornets may be harder to find than the Trumpets??? I don't think the resto. will cost me $1870!!

Instead of buying the listed horn for $2000. I'll wait for a diamond in the rough for $150 and throw a rehab job by a quality shop for far less money.

The listed horn may be more valueable for a collector if in super clean original condition?? Doesn't appear to be the case as no one has bid?

I will have one of these Horns some day because I have the matching Cornet!
I've got more patience than Money!!!! Ha Ha Ha!!

Dano
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought...

Wouldn't copper turn your hands green after a while> especially if the coating wore down an you played a lot?

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
JSTpt1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that this has much relevance to this post but YES! Copper does turn your hands green where you touch the horn. For the most part it washes off, excpept the part of the thumb that touches the lead pipe...that now has a semi-permanantly discolored patch... Its not pretty...

Monette B1-1, B1-5L, C1-1 mpc
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverstar wrote:
Just a thought...

Wouldn't copper turn your hands green after a while> especially if the coating wore down an you played a lot?

Lara

Because of the sweat from your body being acidic in nature, it will cause the raw copper to corrode, thus releasing copper salts like Copper Sulfate and Copper Acetate. The green you would find on your hands is a direct result of those salts. In general they wash off with out a problem. If the copper is covered with a lacquer or silver, you would not experience this problem.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
Dano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: It ain't easy being green!! Reply with quote

When both Tom Getzen's and my Copra-Temp belled horns came in the mail, neither had any sign of the big green going on. Maybe we were just lucky to get horns that were seldom played?? Or 60 year old Getzen Quality still shines through!!!

Dano
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4 digit Getzen that Brett has told me is about 1948 or 49. This is a 5 digit which puts it in the mid 1950's. I don't think Getzen started in business till the mid 1940's.

Bob
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it was a pretty horn when new. Check out this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3765880644&rd=1
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad for $100:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3766649769&rd=1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: