• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Silver or Gold Finish?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnote678

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Silver or Gold Finish? Reply with quote

I am getting a Bach Strad custom made and I was wondering if anyone knows how much of a difference gold plating(24K, not laquer) will make over silver. Cost is not too much of a problem, $400 extra for me. If anyone knows anything about this, please write
Thanks
thatleadguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: silver and gold decoratoins - on every christmas tree Reply with quote

Sorry, the song was stuck in my head for a second...

Gold will have a tendency to hold together at louder volume levels than silver will. The sound may feel or sound "darker," but in the end, you will benifet from it more. The sound will be much smoother than just silver. Think of the difference between raw brass and silver - if you like going that direction, gold helps it go even further.

Other benifets are: Gold requires less cleaning and polishing, especially brushed gold. You will not go through the gold as quickly as you would silver, thus prolonging the life of the horn. Gold is always cool looking. Gold warms up to temperature very quickly.

Playing on gold is a totally different experience. Enjoy it. I'm one of those that actually prefers a brass horn. I kinda believe that a brass instrument should be just that - a brass instrument. It's a personal choice.

Enjoy your new horn!
M. Anklan
thatleadguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that first comment about the gold is poorly written. I ment that when you are playing at a louder volume, having a gold plated horn will help the sound to hold together, rather than spreading apart.

Enjoy
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many threads on this very subject in the "Horns" section. Just do a search.

Kevin
Yoder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to htp://www.co-bw.com a link to the article "The Physics of Inner Brass and the Acoustical Effects of Various Materials andTheir Treatment" can be found on the upper right hand corner of the homepage.
cnote678

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice on the plating. I also have the option of getting the bell in gold brass, yellow brass or 99.9% sterling silver, and three different bell weights. I was planning on getting the bell in gold brass and standard weight. If anyone has any info on the difference the bell material or weight makes, it would be greatly appreciated.
Yoder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here: go to http://www.co-bw.com/SiteMap.htm and check under the brass section. If this doesn't help then goto the main links page and check out the "General Brass" links. I know I have the stuff you want, I just can't remember where I put it. Memory degradation!
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnote678,

If you are having the Bach Strad custom made then I would talk to whoever is making the horn.

As far as gold plating effecting the playability of the horn it is a non-issue.

My horns are gold plated which was done for ease of maintainance over silver plate and appearance.

Enjoy your new horn.
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
cnote678

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Colorado Brass link, there was some very useful information there!
Yoder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are Welcome! I am doing a major overhaul on the Home Recording page and should have it up in a few days. Found some great stuff on recording brass instruments. Check out the "Exercises and Health for Musicians" page, there are a lot of links just for brass players that I just added last week.

I have discovered that building a web site is a job that is never completed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: