• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rotary Bb vs C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Rotary Bb vs C Reply with quote

This question was posed on another thread, but it was going in several directions so I'd like to reiterate it here. Would you (you being the professional trumpet players in general ) recommend getting a rotary Bb or C first, and how high would you place getting a rotary horn on the priority list (C first, Picc second, Eb/D third, etc.)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what you'll be using it for. If you play 1st trumpet in orchestra and you normally use a C trumpet, I'd go with a C rotary. But if you play 2nd or 3rd a lot you'll need a Bb. Many of the standard pieces where you would want to use a rotary have low concert F's and sometimes even lower. A few that come to mind include Beethoven 4, Brahms 3, Brahms 2nd Piano, Schumann 1 & 3, Schumann Manfred Overture, and many others that I can't think of right now.

JU
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, dr -- I was going to get around to this as well...it wasn't addressed in the other thread, and it was off the original topic anyway...

Paul Poovey
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, dr -- I was going to get around to this as well...it wasn't addressed in the other thread, and it was off the original topic anyway...

John -- for audition purposes, does the same apply? For instance, when auditioning a principal part, you would be asked to play 1st part excerpts (C rotary), and while auditioning for 2nd/3rd, you would likely be required to play the lower parts (Bb for lower notes)? As a seasoned vet to the audition process, what would you recommend based on your observations?

Everyone else with an opinion:

I already own a Bach C rotary. I have so little experience with rotaries that I have no reference point to speak of. Is this horn decent to use as a starting horn?

Also, I play a 1.5C on my piston horns. Any recommendations as a starting point for a rotary mpce (don't have one yet)?

Thanks

Paul Poovey
WAKeele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to find a C first but found a deal on Bb I couldn't pass up so I ended up with a Bb first. I used it right off the bat so I made it work for me. It all comes down to what you want to do. If playing in a high pro-level is it, I'd get a rotary. I'd just about say get one before an Eb/D, but it comes down to what you'd play most or a good deal.

I've got just about everything I could possible need, including a tuba and trombone, except a flugel. That and a C cornet are at the top of my list right now, along with an Eb cornet and an old Conn Wonder are horns I'd like to have. But once again it comes down to what you need and ACTUALLY have a use for. I know too many people that have bought a Schilke or some other Eb/D and never play that darn thing. My Stomvi Eb/D was on my face at least twice a week or more when I got it, plus it actually won me $500. So just make sure you're actually going to play what you buy and you'll never go wrong.
Handguard once believed to be used by Arban
$10,000 Stoneline mute bought on eBay
disabled account
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a C first. I had a Monke for a while and just purchased a Ricco Kuehn. The Kuehn is MUCH better than anything else I've played. Anyway, the only thing German players use a rotary Bb on is the Haydn and some players play it on Hindemith. Get a C...you can use it on all of the classical and some romantic literature. Beethoven and Brahms has never been so fun to play! Don't settle on something...get one that you love to play!
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-

For auditions I would say you'd want a C. Or at least I wouldn't want to play the standard rotary excerpts on a Bb - Academic Festival, Brahms 2, Schumann 2, etc.

How does your Bach play? Probably the most important thing would be intonation. Check the C-G fifth that is so important for the Academic Festival and the Schumann 2. That interval is out on a lot of C trumpets. If those notes are ok then you're in good shape! My only experience with the Bach rotaries was when I tried out 2 that Dillon Music was selling for Dave Bilger about 4 years ago. They were both pretty bad so I sent them back.

For a more German type of sound and attack try the JK mouthpieces. I use the 4C and 4B which are close in size to a Bach 1C but with deeper cups and a different shape to the rim.

JU
Blutch
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right about the Bb/C deal. apparently european orchestras use rotaries a great deal usually put first on C and all the others on Bb. Its not just about range, its also about keeping what they call the "brass pyramid" in tact.

Personally, I would buy a C first, but I think there is need for an orchestra to have both.

MA
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, John. I will check those areas of the horn with a tuner and see how managable they are with my current equipment. I'll also check into the JK mouthpieces.

Paul Poovey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: