• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I'm selling a Getzen "Canadian Brass" Eb Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: I'm selling a Getzen "Canadian Brass" Eb Trumpet Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have a “Canadian Brass” Eb Trumpet (made by Getzen) that I’ve listed on eBay. The Buy-It-Now price is $595 and the Reserve is $400.

I now have a Schilke E3L-4, so it’s time for this little Eb Trumpet to help another player develop his or her ability on Eb Trumpet.

The “Canadian Brass” line of instruments was a collaborative effort between the Getzen Company and the Canadian Brass Quintet. At the time of the collaboration the Canadian Brass used these instruments exclusively, which should give you an idea of the inherent quality of these instruments.

No Dents or Dings, Gold-Colored Lacquer is at about 90%.

Valves and slides move effortlessly and perfectly.

Doesn’t play as well as the Schilke (and doesn’t cost $3,000 either). Plays quite nicely though, about on the level of a current Bach Eb.

Takes a Trumpet Mouthpiece.

Note that whoever wins the auction gets as a bonus a free two hour private lesson with me (normally $120) or two free phone lessons if they can't travel to Chicago.

Here’s the auction URL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3765820007

Good luck with your bidding!

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This belongs in the Marketplace.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, thanks for your unsolicited opinion.

I'm sorry but it seems to me I've seen LOTS of people mentioning items they are selling on eBay here on the Herald. And it seems to me that possibly there may be someone out there who might be in need of an instrument like what I'm selling. I'll put their needs ahead of your internet policing any day.

And it seems to me that given the fact that I've devoted hundreds of hours helping people on the Herald with their playing problems without any compensation, maybe just once I could get something back without undue comments.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoting a famous (?) American : "...cain't we'all just get along...?" (Rodney King)

John -- I understand.
You have a very interesting little horn!
Do you have any idea when (approx will do) this horn may have been made? Beside the endorsement deal, what do you know about the Canadian Brass / Getzen collaboration?

Robert Rowe
Soontir2432
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

I'm sorry but it seems to me I've seen LOTS of people mentioning items they are selling on eBay here on the Herald.

Appeal to popularity fallacy.
That doesn't excuse from where it should really be and that's the marketplace not here in the forum. If everyone decided to take your reasoning then the entire equipment forum would be flooded with ads.
Brazen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

The Canadian Brass instruments manufactured by Getzen were made around 1992 or 1993. They are extraordinary instruments. I have a 24k gold plated Bb. It's a .460" with a 5 1/16" yellow brass bell. The valves of course have a lifetime warranty as with all Getzen valves. The valves are the absolute best I have ever played.

I believe it retailed for $2200+ originally so I would imagine an Eb (even with lacquer) would have sold for nearly the same. Not many years after their design the group switched to Yamaha, which they use now. However, be it known the Getzen instruments aren't lacking in anyway. I am sure an Eclipse would probably top it but very unlikely to get one at that price. Sounds to me to be a really good deal on an excellent instrument. Hope this helps.

Jonathan
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soontir2432 wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

I'm sorry but it seems to me I've seen LOTS of people mentioning items they are selling on eBay here on the Herald.

Appeal to popularity fallacy.
That doesn't excuse from where it should really be and that's the marketplace not here in the forum. If everyone decided to take your reasoning then the entire equipment forum would be flooded with ads.

I beg to differ. I don't think the "Horns" section will be "flooded" if everyone who's selling a horn lists here. In fact, I imagine the majority of active Herald participants do post notices here if and when they decide to occasionally sell a horn.

If you don't want to read it, don't click on it. I find it amusing that people will take the time to write complaints instead of merely moving on to a topic of interest to them. Perhaps it is complaining that is the topic of interest to them.

I certainly have never been bothered by seeing announcements of horns for sale. I welcome these announcements. And incidently, this is the first time I've sold a horn and therefore the first time I've listed such a post on the Herald so my opinion is not hypocritical - I've sat here and read many, many similar announcements to mine.

And given all the scamming and trouble I read about on eBay, I think people (most people) are quite happy to know that a given horn they see on eBay is being sold by an upstanding person with a good reputation on the Herald and other trumpet forums. In fact, the gentleman that won the auction (he used the Buy-It-Now feature) told me that one of the reasons he was willing to buy this horn on eBay was because he knew of me from the Herald and TPIN so he felt comfortable sending me a check for a horn he's never seen from a person he's never met.

I didn't receive any complaints from the TPIN crowd when I placed the exact same announcement there. Typically, it was only the Herald that generated any complaints.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
Quoting a famous (?) American : "...cain't we'all just get along...?" (Rodney King)

John -- I understand.
You have a very interesting little horn!
Do you have any idea when (approx will do) this horn may have been made? Beside the endorsement deal, what do you know about the Canadian Brass / Getzen collaboration?

Robert Rowe

Hi Robert,

It seems Jonathon has already answered your question and he was able to do it with more information than I could have. Thank you for taking the time Jonathon! If I had known how expensive these horns originally were I would have had a higher Buy-It-Now price in the auction.

Cheers,

John
Dr. Stu
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything wrong with listing a horn this way in this forum. Nobody complains when someone starts a thread saying "look at this thing someone else is selling on e-bay" and then posts the link. It's just basically to call attention to an interesting horn that you might not see unless you live on eBay all the time.

I think the marketplace is great for a more bare-bones classified ads-type listing (I just bought a beautiful Wiseman case there), but if someone wants to announce an interesting or special horn and is willing to talk about it in the horn forum, well why not.

John basically just said "look at this horn I'm selling, I'll talk about this Eb Canadian Brass collaboration horn in the forum if you want to". If you don't want to, just read the thread and move on. Mentioning an interesting horn here, I think, is nice and probably benefits everyone on this forum.

I guess to sum it up... You can tell me in this forum if you're selling your pimped out gold-plated Kanbassador conversion wherever it's listed (especially if you want to talk about who did what and for how much ), but don't tell me about your 1972 Bundy beater.

And not for nothing... SHS_Trumpet started a thread here called "Somebody Buy My Horns" http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28500
and no one suggested he be banished to the marketplace.

just my 2 sense

-Stu
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My statement that this post belonged in the Marketplace was not my "opinion". See link here.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18974&highlight=marketplace

Furthermore, the folks who post horns for sale here in the Horns forum all think it is OK. One seller came right out and stated that he was doing it because it got more exposure and he had a better chance of selling it.

Well that's great... but TH and the moderators have stated it is not OK. They protect this site for me and the others who value it and they want "for sale" items placed in the Marketplace for the good of the site and its users.

Perhaps the fact that some members think there is nothing wrong with doing it is the essence of the problem. Why not PM the moderators and ask them if it is OK and in line with the TH guidlines and post the response here. Probably be good for all.

Finally.... a few days ago I came on to see what info was newly posted that would feed my trumpet info hunger and I scrolled through two pages. On two pages there were 4 or 5 posts about horns for sale and a similar number of posts about various forms of eBay scams.

I was not comfortable. I did not post on any of these, but that was not because I was pleased that there were so many posts that really had little relationship with the stated purpose of this forum which is to provide a place to discuss trumpets and share trumpet information.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Dr. Stu
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Moderators can certainly enforce their rule that items for sale should be listed in the Marketplace- harshly- if they want to. They can end the threads and PM the posters notifying them of their actions. My point is that some (many, most) of the horns that do get listed in this forum do seem to generate some discussion. Perhaps that's why the Moderators don't seem too upset.

Don't get me wrong, I do not want to see this forum degenerate to a glorified classified ads section/eBay annex either. I'm a newcomer to the Forum and have alot more I want to learn. Maybe there should be something like a "Marketplace Forum"- a section where it's OK to post eBay links and Marketplace items for discussion. That would keep this section clear of those postings. Oh, and I too have read enough about the eBay scams.

-Stu
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when is it the public's place to enforce the rules of a forum? He had it right when he said:

[quote="John Mohan"][quote="Soontir2432"]
John Mohan wrote:

If you don't want to read it, don't click on it. I find it amusing that people will take the time to write complaints instead of merely moving on to a topic of interest to them. Perhaps it is complaining that is the topic of interest to them.

I guess it would be like a bunch of trumpet players to stick their opinions in places they don't belong. I'm sure if there is a problem, the Mods will deal with it. I don't think though that he is actually breaking a rule. He's not necessarily selling the horn through the forum, he's selling it through eBay and telling people the facts from the auction while giving a link so people can purchase it on eBay.

My .000037 sense(cents...)

Yay for anal people!
Aaron
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a category in the Marketplace specifically designated "Internet Auctions". It is there for items that TH members who are selling horns on eBay.

This also is not an opinion.

ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally don't have much of a problem with these sale posts, I just move on to the next thread if I don't want to read it; but if it became more frequent I think I'd grow tired of seeing them and would want the Moderators to enforce the TH rules.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last words on this:

First off, yes if it became a problem - meaning if the Horn Forum was rendered unuseable because of people placing ads for horns in it - then yes, I'd feel that something would have to be done. But that is not the case.

And as for complaining about the recent number of "eBay scam" posts, I would beg to differ with anyone who didn't want that information here. My God, we have con artists trying to take advantage of trumpet players, and you would want that information censored from a public trumpet player oriented internet forum? Stupid is as stupid does.

As a result of my announcing the auction here and on TPIN (where no one complained), that horn has a happy new owner and won't sit in a closet any longer. I think that is a good thing.

And finally: I have contributed 815 posts to the Trumpet Herald in the last 4 or so years. The vast majority of them were writings of mine in response to players who were having trouble with their playing and had sought help. I've done this for free. Of the 815 posts I've contributed, one and only one involved my announcing that I had a horn for sale on eBay. And yet, as usual, I've been jumped on. Tell me, have you posted similar replies to all the other people who have placed information about horns they were selling in an eBay or other auction? Then why me?

I'm tired of this,

John
Ex LA Studio Musician
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

player oriented internet forum? Stupid is as stupid does.

As a result of my announcing the auction here and on TPIN (where no one complained), that horn has a happy new owner and won't sit in a closet any longer. I think that is a good thing.

And finally: I have contributed 815 posts to the Trumpet Herald in the last 4 or so years. The vast majority of them were writings of mine in response to players who were having trouble with their playing and had sought help. I've done this for free. Of the 815 posts I've contributed, one and only one involved my announcing that I had a horn for sale on eBay. And yet, as usual, I've been jumped on. Tell me, have you posted similar replies to all the other people who have placed information about horns they were selling in an eBay or other auction?

Then why me?

John

John,

Lots of folks do NOT use the Horn forum to plug a sale. A few others ignore the rule and do it anyway. Sometimes folks object . . . and sometimes they let it ride. That's life.

However, you're the only one smug enough to advertise yourself along with your horn for free lessons.

Lots of folks are offended by such a pompous show, and sometimes someone even writes in protest. The fact that you are surprised simply means you aren't aware how you come off to others. Don't sweat it, its not the end of the world.

I'm glad you sold your horn though, and I wish you and Anne a very happy holiday season!

Sincerely,

Tom
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at my signature. That's how you do it without pissing people off but still getting the point across.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John... in the hopes of smoothing things out a little... I chose your thread for two reasons. 1) There had been 4 or 5 in a couple of days that directly advertised horns for sale, or horns for sale on ebay, by the poster. And 2) the title of your thread was so directly intended to sell here on the Horns forum that I felt it was a good and clear example. It was not personal, but words on a screen can't show that I was very simply stating a fact and hoping that it would serve as a reminder that the purpose of the forum is discussion and the Marketplace does provide the appropriate location for items for sale or for sale on ebay.

All the folks that choose to post "for sale" threads in the forum probably feel that thier one post is not a problem and that it should only be a concern if several posts appear. Well multiple TH members who think that way add up to several posts and therefore the problem arises.

I appreciate the number of fine posts that you and the others provide here on the Forum. Great stuff. However, not relavent to this particular post or the issue at hand.

I too am pleased that you sold the horn and that a new owner will enjoy it. I believe he would have enjoyed it if it were bought from an add in the Marketplace too. That you got more exposure here in the Horns Forum and that it may have allowed you to sell the horn or sell it for a higher price is really only important if the primary concern is to sell without regard for guidelines that have been stated on TH repeatedly by other members and by the Moderators.

Which brings us full circle to the issue at hand. Should we all now disregard the guidelines that are suggested for the well being of the site and its participents because it better serves our individual agendas? I have sold trumpets in the Marketplace and wished that I could be sure that everyone who finds thier way to TH would see the add. But.... well like I said... I knew it belonged in the Marketplace because I have been on this site long enough to know. You really can't participate for as long as you or I and not know that posting stuff for sale in the Forum is frowned upon.

A lot of the above is my opinion.... but not the original post. Items for saledo belong in the Marketplace. Don't shoot the messanger.

As for the ebay fraud posts... perhaps a separate Forum, but TH has to be very careful to not appear to be participating in what may or may not be accurate condemnation of adds placed on ebay. I would think that the act of creating a forum designed for that would be a possible approval of the content. Tricky. I just felt that there were an awful lot of posts about "ebay frauds". Opinion.

Sorry if I offended you personally. I just am too lazy to compose several posts and I am not a moderator..... Perhaps the moderators could show up and help just a bit here... if they think it is appropriate. Enough from me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: