• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best old horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Best old horn Reply with quote

Lets get a thread going for your thoughts on the best "older" - "vintage" Bb trumpets. Why you think it is the "best".
Thanks
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, I traded for an early 80s Bach. It is nothing to look at but has very smooth valves and the characteristic sound. I have picked up a few other horns over the years, nothing fancy, so I rotate horns from time to time, but for all around playing, this old Bach is so nice and dependable. It gets the usual round Bach sound and is pretty good for general playing. The sound is pleasing to me, records and carries well. I probably have 900 invested in it, some of which is taking out dents, a valve alignment, etc. I could have spent a lot of money on something else, but probably would not sound any better than I do on this horn.

Mike
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think very highly of my 35 year old King Silver Flair. It is in very nice condition, with great valves and excellent finish. Looks just about new, with a couple minor blemishes.

It is a nice, light, bright, powerful horn. Big tone. Interesting first valve trigger.

This is the second Flair I have owned.

I am not saying the Flair is the "best" for who's to say what is the "best?" But, it certainly is a classic trumpet, and would belong in any classic trumpet "hall of fame," IMO. It has a certain "character" all its own...
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn 22B's from the '20's and '30's. Great for recording and very happy with small church choirs.

Calicchios. Years? Well, all of them actually. The earlier horns were unpredictable but if you got a good one you never had a better friend on a big band gig.

Mt. Vernon and New York Bachs. (the Elkhart horns are very nice too but the earlier horns had a different character to the sound).

Chicago and Burbank Benges. I had a trombone player turn and tug her heart strings at me in the middle of Moonlight in Vermont one night. I was playing my early '50's Burbank at the time. Great sound on those lyrical tunes!

'60's and '70's Getzen Eternas. Lots of laughs on lead parts and big show off solos.

I still have a Schilke B1 from the "Yamalloy" days that will lead a band through a volcano if the need arises. I also keep it around for guys who tell me those Schilke-has are no good..........

Happily I still have all these trumpets laying around. Must be time to dust one off and see what it's got today!
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn you DaveH. I forgot how much fun those Silver Flairs were!

Time to go horn hunting again.......................
Bill Bryant
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-WWII Besson Meha should go on this list.
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Benge, Committees.
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so the old Besson Brevette is awaiting restoration and I forgot about the Committee (210xxx). It's on the wall next to the Committee flugelhorn, which never gets played anymore. (I rarely get called for those small jazz gigs any more. My friends say it's a lack of ability.)

(I can't believe I forgot the Committee!)

Man, there are so many of these great older trumpets out there this could get to be an obsession!

Too many of these old horns, you know?

Maybe I'll trade the whole bunch in on a new Strad........................?

Nahhhhhhh!
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAN get to be an obsession 2nd Chair? You know it! You didn't mention your gold plated Getzen Severinson. I'm really diggin' a 1941 Reynolds pro right now, really sweet tone and easy blow, extra fast and smooth valves. and dare I say it - Ambassadors?!

Bob
Bill Scott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't forget the Conn Constellations and Conn 10B's. The Connies have a sound that is unique and you can play just about anything with them. Dark or bright, they do it all!
There are two sides to a Trumpeter's personality: There is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury. Then there's the Dark Side"
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone want to mention some of the other Olds models - the Recording, Super Recording, Opera, Mendez, Special, Super... any of those?

OK, I will...
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone want to mention Olds; the Recording, Super Recording, Opera, Mendez, Special, Super... any of those?

You beat me to it; I knew it wouldn't take long for the Olds horns to come up.

I second the Olds Recording and Ambassador, build like a tank with beautiful fit and finish and the performance of the Recording is outstanding. I gave my Ambassador cornet to my 3 1/2 year old and he's having a ball with it and it's still holding up surprisingly well.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - I'm going to be obvious.......

I love my old Bach's. A Mt. Vernon and a 30XXX Elkhart. They may not be the best in the world, but there aren't many better!

Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for the KING 1055T Silver Flair. It has a great sound and streamlined styling with the most ingenius first valve trigger design. The sculpted valve casing and smooth top/bottom caps are unique. The heavy-duty woodshell case with the two-tone silver alligator/ black leather covering is IMO the most beautiful trumpet case ever made.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horns with CHARACTER ! -- that's what I hold dear .
"Connies", 22B, New York Strad, Courtois Phantom, '50's Buescher Super 400, Committees...so many others!!
Twenty-or-so of this ilk, or a Monette for the same $$ ?? NO BRAINER !!

Robert Rowe

"...you cain't polish a turd!..." (old Southern expression)
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn 38B, and my small bore Bach. The Conn is especially fun when you need to peel the paint off the walls.

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Now a synth junkie as well
archer49d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Best "old" horn Reply with quote

King Super 20... Harry James played a very similar horn (and as Much of an MF fan as I am Harry's sound I think is the best there ever was). Diz played one early in his career, but besides those who used it, the horn itself was being made in the 50s with a bore very similar to that of the Z-horn, it blows freely and like a Monette, in the way that I feel I'm not constricted by the horn. The horn is heavy compared to modern horns, but because of that it can take a MASSIVE amount of air and really scream, and I mean SCREAM, in rehearsals I'm known to get carried away and scream an ending high G so loud I'll cancel out the trombone and sax section, but whats more is that it's a full and clean high G. That is something I've never been able to even come close to recplicating on ANY Schilke, Kanstul or Bach... I do not even hesitate to say it is on par with the Monette Lightweight horns (with the exception of being a heavier instrument). For selling on eBay in the 300-500 dollar range they are sure worth it opposed to buying a Monette XLT for 6000.
buhdda316
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: horns Reply with quote

burbank benge, burbank benge, burbank benge, burbank benge, burbank benge, burbank benge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: