• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reynolds Emperor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzzer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reynolds Emperor Reply with quote

A friend gave me a Reynolds Emperor trumpet that probably dates from the late '50's. Serial number 31722. I know nil about Reynolds generally so would appreciate comments about the horn from those in the know. Seems to be in good playing condition but physically typical worn laquer etc.
Thanks
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information I have would put your horn made in 1958-59.It originally sold for about $100-$125. I have a picture of an old one that was brass and nickel silver, but I have no information about the quality of this instrument. I can tell you that in 1959 an Olds Ambassador sold for $149 ($164 in silver) if that helps you out at all in comparing price to another horn that we all know more about. I wish I could tell you more!
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
buzzer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reynolds Emperor Reply with quote

That sounds about right, date wise. It is brass/nickle combo also. Probably similar in characteristics to the Ambassador.
thanks -
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,

The Emperor was Reynolds answer to the Olds Ambassador, and when I was in Jr. High and High School in the 1960's it served many a player well . . . including yours truly.

I started in the fifth grade in 1961, and my band director insisted that I upgrade to a better cornet than my '61 Conn Director when I hit high school. A neighbor's son had quit cornet for baritone and we got the Emperor from him.

I was shocked my senior year when I had a chance to play an INCREDIBLE cornet . . . a Reynolds Argenta large bore. It was then that I realized just how much difference there was between the Director, the Emperor and that wonderful Argenta!

Sadly, I couldn't swing the money to purchase the Argenta and remembered how good it made me sound for years.

In 2000, at age 49, a nice Argenta LB came up on eBay. I didn't care what I had to pay for it . . . and I won the bid. It's as good as I remember . . . a big, rich sound and a super-easy upper register that locks in well past Double C.

The Emperor is no Argenta, but neither is the oft-seen Ambassador. However, the Emperor IS a solidly-built horn that took many a kid to all-state! It has no quirky notes.

I think much less of the lower-priced Reynolds Medalist.

Insight from one who knows the Emperor . . .

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
buzzer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reynolds Emperor Reply with quote

Thanks Tom for the info. Will play the horn later on and see how it goes. Don't know if I will wind up with it or not - if I do it is a candidate for restoration. Two slides will not pull out one does (loud pop which is good) and valves are fine. Now going to wait for the 1939 Holton Collegiate I got off of eBay. Looks like an interesting horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: