• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

guy/girl question

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you agree with dominicano224?
yes
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
No
61%
 61%  [ 19 ]
On most things
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
a little
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 31

puppetmaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NTlead"]The contradictory statement is bolded. And Haney's story is a perfect example of how having an aura of invincibility has nothing to to with being invincible. He got his ass handed to him for being a jerk.[/quote]

Nice guys get it handed to them by jerks a lot more than this one example that shows the otherside. Jerks are not the way to go but nice guys are even worse. Take the best qualities of both spectrums and create your own character. Don't define yourself by either one or the other.

I don't understand the contradiction either I looked up the words and did some subsitution thus he has this quality of unconquerability surrounding him = aura of invincibility. That is a good quality but obviously you need other good qualities to keep your ego in check. This guy didn't have it.
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dominicano224 wrote:

Being yourself is bad advise. You have being yourself since the beginning of time and it's obviously not working. You should IMPROVE yourself first. Then be yourself. Improve your personality, looks, character, etc., if what you do doesn't work, then something needs to go. Staying the same makes no sense.

I've always been myself and it seemed to have worked. A rule of thumb is always be yourself. If you aren't, your true self will show through even if you don't want it to. It's better to have someone like you for who you are than to have someone like a fake you.

I do agree, however, that if you have a major personality flaw...like you like to beat people up and you get angry a little too easily, then you might want to work on that because it could potentially be dangerous to other people.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't pretend you're something that you aren't to make friends or get girls/guys. Be who you are, not what other people want you to be.

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
dominicano224
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had a boss that everyone was afraid of. He appeared powerful. He could get people fired in the blink of an eye. It just seemed like he was untouchable.

Ntlead read forthaneys post, I summed up what he wrote you idiot. He had an aura of invincibility, does that mean that he was invincible? What does that have to do with letting it get to your head? this is not opinion, it is what the guy said happened. This is a waste of time. Go study for your test because apparently your dumber then you think.

Lara, what I said has nothing to do with being fake. If you had a really bright sound and no range on any mouthpiece and somebody said "accept it, it's your style of playing" would you do it? Or improve? If you approach 3 girls a day and you only get 1 # a month, then being yourself is not working. you obviously need to improve something. That statement you made is a clutch, it is just a way to accept your flaws. along with the believe that somebody will love you for who you are. Always strive to improve. If a guy is abused all day should he just accept it and say "it's the way I am" or improve and stand up for himself? Most people haven't even found they're true self.
Comno6
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People this is a trumpet forum. I mean does it really matter? Mabye we should stick to the trumpet and not relationship issues.

Chris

If you Practice..... You can get better...

YES I KNOW.. Profound!!
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Go study for your test because apparently your dumber then you think.

It's usually not wise to type something about someone's intelligence while making basic grammatical errors. But then again, you probably don't see the error.

I wasn't relating his aura of invincibility to letting it get to his head, I was relating it to thinking he could do anything. I suppose you could make the case that despite his aura of invincibility, he still didn't think he was invincible. That would make sense.

Puppetmaster, I like where you're coming from saying that there is a middle ground to strive for, and I completely agree. Good Stuff.

And Dominicano: Way to bring up trumpet playing as a comparison. I'm being serious. It's what we all have in common and exhibits, dare I say it, maturity, often not seen in the Religion/Politics area.
Trumpet Dude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comno6 wrote:
People this is a trumpet forum. I mean does it really matter? Mabye we should stick to the trumpet and not relationship issues.

Chris

AMEN!
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look. That's why this so neatly divided into different topics. Anyone who comes into the Lounge or Religion/Politics section looking for insight on trumpet related matters needs to look elsewhere.
Comno6
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTlead wrote:
Look. That's why this so neatly divided into different topics. Anyone who comes into the Lounge or Religion/Politics section looking for insight on trumpet related matters needs to look elsewhere.

Yea I realize that, but when they mean talk about anything, they usually mean music or trumpet related things. Thus: the name of the site.

I would bet BIG bucks that the people/person who started this forum, didn't start it for people to argue about how to pick up chicks.

Chris

If you Practice..... You can get better...

YES I KNOW.. Profound!!
puppetmaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris: If you don't like it don't read it but if you have an opinion about it than share it.

NT: Thanks for acknowledging that there is a middle ground where the best qualities of both nice guy and jerk exist. Most people seem to think you have to advocate one or the other. I believe that is the rarest kind of man that exists today thus men who strive for that usually succeed in life first and success with women inevitably follows.

I also think that there's a reason that people say "Nice guys finish last"
Uncle Fester
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppetmaster wrote:
News flash to girly man:

Nice and sensitive = Friend (majority of the time), While being a man (but displaying nice and sensitivity when called upon) = girlfriend

Nice and senstive all the time will disgust a women.

You are confusing "nice and sensitive" with "fawning and subservient".
I did not say you should bow before every whim. Be yourself, but don't be weak. No one should let people walk all over them. Nor should anyone wander about like an ogre, smashing everything in it's path, completely oblivious to the feelings of people around them.

Nuff said. I'm outa here. Need to practice some more (and don't go "practice what?" ).
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I am with Lara on this one. Be yourself. Improving yourself, if you do it correctly, is still a way to be true to yourself. Then you will end up, where you need to be, as long as you are honest with yourself in the process. There are people out there for jerks, there are people out there for nice guys, and there are a lot of people out there for the diffrent combinations of the two.
Nice guys finish last, but in a race of fools who wants to come in first?

Easy life,
Kevin
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drboogenbroom wrote:

Nice guys finish last, but in a race of fools who wants to come in first?

So true....

You can build yourself up to be something you aren't to get a girl, but sooner or later she'll have to meet the real you.....
If she meets the real you up front, she either likes you or she doesn't and that's that....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: