• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul 1525 and ProTec VAX Case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Car

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Kanstul 1525 and ProTec VAX Case Reply with quote

(Apologies if this is posted elsewhere ... most postings were several months ago, and I wanted current opinions specific to my Kanstul 1525)

I recently purchased a ProTec PB-301VAX Case, and have some questions.

There is a rivet that is exposed on the bottom inside of the case (centered), and looks like it should have been covered by a rectangular pad glued to the bottom of the case ... but the pad missed the mark. When the adjustable partition is in place, it covers the area where the rivet is exposed, but should it shift, as it might under normal transport conditions, the rivet, which is fairly jagged in areas, would scratch my horns. (There is also another rivet in view towards the left inside edge.

There is also a smear of dried glue in the area where the larger end of the partition adheres to the case, next to the velcro patch - it too is covered by the partition, but makes for a sloppy look otherwise.

Is this normal, or an assembly problem?

I have also discovered that my Kanstul 1525 will only fit if I remove the detacheable partition ... sort of feel like I paid for a combo case, but that the Kanstul took up all the room. Although, it does fit nicely, by itself.

I've tried making room for a trumpet (which I don't have yet), but the third valve trigger on the flugel gets pressed too hard against the floor of the case). So without the partition, the Kanstul 1525 flugel rests naturally on the case's trumpet supports.

Any comments? Wondering if I should look for another case.
Sibelius * Live * Reason
artsite:http://mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio/
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get home tonight I'll look at my Vax case. I don't think there are any exposed rivet heads in it, even under where the velcro goes, but I'll get confirmation for you.

You say there is one right in the bottom where the trumpet/flugel divider goes? Right about where the trumpet valve bottom caps would sit? And another where the "end" of that same divider goes... mouthpiece storage area or the "left side"
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that there should be anything exposed like that.
I have pictures here http://www.pickmusic.net/TPT%20pages/Vax%20case.htm of the 1525 in that case with a trumpet.
You're right, the 1525 flugel takes up room in the trumpet 'spot' . To make it work the divider has to be moved to a more horizontal position, and the trumpet sits on top of that padding. I'm not entirely comfortable with it either. but as long as the divider doesn't shift - and I don't see how it would - the horns should be ok.
There are other pictures on that page too, of what the case interior should look like.
Billy Car

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You say there is one right in the bottom where the trumpet/flugel divider goes? Right about where the trumpet valve bottom caps would sit? And another where the "end" of that same divider goes... mouthpiece storage area or the "left side"

Pretty much centered where the divider sits "naturally" ... they come through from where the extension arm is attached outside ... 4 of them ...

The other visually exposed one is at the bell end (opposite MP storage) ... makes me wonder if down inside where the bell slips down into, if there might be another hidden ... maybe just my paranoia.

Nope ... just looked ... the bell RESTS on the ragged exposed rivet ...

Thanks for the pics ... there really shouldn't be any exposed rivets ... can't see wht they'd use ones that aren't smooth either ... covered or uncovered.

It's going back to WWBW ...
Sibelius * Live * Reason
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, send it back. I checked my VAX out just now; poked and prodded and removed bits and pieces of velcroed stuff to check underneath. Can't find a bit of metal anywhere on the inside... all covered up with velvet/foam material. A couple of bits of hard glue in two spots but that's OK. Jammed fingers down beside the flugel support "block" where the bell goes ... nada. Deliberately tried to find rivets that hold the handle components on.... nada.

You must have got one of the "Friday" cases.
Billy Car

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday afternoon ... or Monday morning ...

I guess it's still the best case (for the money), and my Kanstul 1525 which takes up the whole area, will be all I need for now (currently without trumpet).

Thanks.
Sibelius * Live * Reason
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same situation here, except my flugel is the Lawler TLFL. Right now, I have a strip of funny foam covering the rivet, but eventually, I will cut a patch to size and glue it in. No big deal for me. Great case otherwise.

BTW, you know the pull-up handle makes a decent music stand in a pinch!
Electronic mayhem as Uncle Chrome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPauly wrote:
BTW, you know the pull-up handle makes a decent music stand in a pinch!

Or a great handle on which to hang a bag of mutes & music!
Billy Car

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a replacement VAX case ... very quick this time of year ...

This one is better in the covering of the rivets ... at least the one in the middle was covered. The other two won't touch the horn when fully in place, but I will probably cover them with my own materials, to avoid scratches when removing/inserting my Kanstul.

Unfortunately, one of the screws holding the cover to the hard case, protrudes a bit into the interior ... almost pricked my finger. A simple covering would correct that problem, or backing the phillips head screw out a hair or two would correct the issue.

The other problems are that the 4 feet on the side of the case, do not match the thickness of the wheels, so it won't store/sit flat on that side, and the feet on the same side as the wheels, don't match the wheels either. One of mine is a bit off making it seem unstable.

Any suggestions? (other than stop being such a perfectionist?)

It should be adequate for my single horn, but I would rate it an 8 out of 10 due to assembly/design problems that are present, and may return it for the older Gladstone Flugel/2 Trumpet case designed by DEG ... ~$75 more may be worth being able to use it with my Kanstul 1525 and a future trumpet - although it won't have the wheels.

Comments?
Sibelius * Live * Reason
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments....

1) 4 feet plus wheels? They've made some changes then. Mine only has two feet plus wheels.

2) It will be stable enough if you don't pack the outside pocket with heavy stuff. Remember that this case was deliberately designed to be the max alloweably "carry-on" size and it only fits that designation with the pocket empty! With 4 feet it should be more stable than the older models.

3) I thought that ProTec had received comments back when the case was introduced that it could be a bit unstable. They were planning on putting slightly taller "legs" on to match the "height" of the wheels.... sounds like this hasn't happened yet? Or maybe it put the size outside the carry-on template?

4) It is still the only "reasonably priced" case that holds my trumpet and Eterna 800 cornet (tall valves)... I didn't buy it for "airline travel" and I won't use gig bags so it meets my requirements and I'm happy with it.
Billy Car

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where it would satisfy very well. Basically, my flugelhorn is just too tall for this design ... and if I go for adding a trumpet down the road, it just wouldn't serve me well.

The 4 feet I was talking about are on one long side ... and they are too short to match the one wheel's thickness.

There are 2 feet on the same side as both wheels, and they are almost tall enough to match the wheel's height. Unfortunately, it looks like this case has been stressed up the front side's left ridge (the music pocket has a fold all the way up one side), and that is also the corner where the case tilt's off balance if set up on the 2 wheels and 2 legs.

My partner says "couldn't I just cover the rivets and screw with some felt, and just live with it". That may be an indication I'm being too fussy ...

I'm happy yours works for you - I expect I need to spend a little more for a larger design.
Sibelius * Live * Reason
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: the four feet on the long side... ahh, that explains it. Nope, mine is quite stable positioned on it's side... in fact that's the way I mostly use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: