• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is the right choice to protect my Trumpets?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acabaoglu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: What is the right choice to protect my Trumpets? Reply with quote

I need to have a good case to carry C,Bb,Eb and piccolo together!!
What do u suggest ? which one protects well and easy to use ? Which one I can use up to my death ? I need help because I will order one to Turkey !! I dont have possibility to try them ?
I have 1 chance!!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for Walt Johnson custom cases , very expensive but is for a lifetime.

Regards
music matters
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading threads on this subject trumpet heralders tend to recommend Wiseman, Walt Johnson or Marcus Bonna hard cases as the best so try doing a search to see what they have said about them all. I live in Dubai and was in a similar situation as you wanting a good quality hard case for a Flugel and Trumpet. After much research on this site I have ordered a Marcus Bonna triple from Slidebone. It hasn't arrived as yet, but should be with me shortly, so I can't comment on it.

Hope this helps and good luck,

MM
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Walt Johnson.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
brad333
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use one but I have seen and played with the Marcus Bonna. If I was doing the classical orchestral thing(Bb, C, Eb, picc) I would definatly buy one of these. They're very reasonably priced and look to be very strong and fairly light. I have a friend that uses one just for this purpose. He sold his Wiseman(because his cornet didn't fit in the wiseman) and I havn't heard and complaints yet.
jjohnson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious to know how the newer Marcus Bona cases are working out. I bought a triple about ten years ago. It is the model that you can reconfigure the interior with the extra walls and pads they include with it. Generally speaking it has been a great case but I'm not sure the model I have would last a lifetime. The synthetic fabric that lines the interior in my case began to tear in a few places years ago. The exterior is also starting to rip in some places and the zippers are failing.
In spite of these problems the case is still fairly solid and I still use it regularly. If they haven't addressed these issues I would look somewhere else for a case that would last a lifetime.
FWIW I have also heard that the Walt Johnson cases are pretty tough. Hope this helps!
Jason
Bill Scott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you'd better know what your horns measurements are! My Constellation will not fit into a Walt Johnson hard case--no way, no how. Pro-Tec cases work well if you don't absolutely have to have a hard case. It's what I use.
There are two sides to a Trumpeter's personality: There is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury. Then there's the Dark Side"
jjohnson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Which one I can use up to my death ?

This guy loves the trumpet!!
Cheers,
Jason
Blutch
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a marcus bonna triple and love it. Phenomenal case. Light and very protective. Quite flexible as well. It also won't cost you an arm and a leg.

MA
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, you'd better know what your horns measurements are! My Constellation will not fit into a Walt Johnson hard case--no way, no how.

This is probably the only drawback to my WJ single cases because my Olds Recording does not fit in it either; good thing I purchased it for my Schilke and Benge.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
Slidebone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: What is the right choice to protect my Trumpets? Reply with quote

acabaoglu wrote:
I need to have a good case to carry C,Bb,Eb and piccolo together!!
What do u suggest ? which one protects well and easy to use ? Which one I can use up to my death ? I need help because I will order one to Turkey !! I dont have possibility to try them ?
I have 1 chance!!

IMO there are 2 choices:

Walt Johnson
Marcus Bonna

I spoke with Walt a few days ago. Cases are AVAILABLE and can be obtained within a couple of weeks.

A couple of months ago I had the pleasure of speaking with Marcus Bonna. His cases too are available. There are many colors to choose from either in Leather or Cordura. Each case is hand made to order.

Marcus starts 2005 production next week and cases have been ordered for SlideBone.

Both MB and Walt Johnson cases are availalble.

"Swing in the New Year" with year round savings at SlideBone.com

Happy New Year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blutch
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus Bonna cases and mutes are also available from Thompson Music. They have great prices and service.

http://www.thompsonmusic.com or give them a call at: 402-573-1339. I am not affiliated with them.. I just have had great luck with their service.

MA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: