• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My Quiet Box Design

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: My Quiet Box Design Reply with quote

Out of necessity (to not disturb others in the household with my playing) I have developed a few designs to reduce my volume without having to use some form of mute. My Quiet Box is one of them. The box is around 2-2 ˝ feet all around and tapered at the bottom so you can get up close. I altered an adjustable speaker stand as a base. Adjustable hinged panels are built-in to deflect sound if you are playing in to the box at an angle. In short, much thought went in to the structural design.

The folks at Quiet Solution Inc. (QuietSoluton.com) in California have been generous and open-minded to provide me with a great product called Quiet Foam to test for my prototype. QuietFoam, composed of lightweight, closed cell, extruded polyethylene foam, is acoustically engineered to isolate sound vibrations and impact noises. It was specifically designed for use as part of a floor-ceiling assembly/system using other products called QuietWood and QuietRock. Although the product is listed(and tested) specifically as underlayment for flooring, other applications are possible at the users discretion. Note that QuietFoam is “only” available in 5X200 rolls listed at $795 each on they’re website. The company made a rare exception for my application test.

Upon testing, “I” find the QuiteFoam almost completely contains/isolates the sound(almost throws it right back at me) with some minimal absorption as well. My volume is significantly reduced; yet I can play open and I can hear myself really well. I plan on adding a layer of that commonly used sound absorbing, puffy, spongy foam over the QuietFoam and together this should be very effective. I welcome all ideas, suggestions from the many knowledgeable people on TH!

Please check out the photos!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/jgadvert/ba7735c4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/jgadvert/43b417b5.jpg
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really interesting. Not as practical as a practice mute as far as portability, but if you're going to be in one area for prolonged periods, I guess it would work, especially for those living in an apartment.

I used to practice with my horn pointing into my closet in the college dorm rooms and it seemed to work rather well. The only drawback was trying to read music off my stand. I ended up just practicing memorized jazz tunes, orch excerpts and exercises.

Kurt Z
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg, is that foam the stuff that has a thin layer of lead or lead-based material affixed to one side? I saw something like that being sold to line the covers and isolate the sound from boat motors etc. Seems to me it also had a mylar (oil resistant) coating on the opposite side from the lead.

Jus' wonderin'
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tootsal:

No..the same exact foam surface on each identical side. Very easy material to use.

BTW: I designed the hinged panel "specifically" so you can read off a stand and still get some significant volume control as you probably end up blowing in to the box from an angle(as you try to read the music and blow in to the box).

BTW(Part 2): My other design is some sort of long hose/tube(approximately the diameter of a trumpet bell) that you can attach to the bell. The sound in the tube would flow to a sound receiver which you could hear through earphones(ala Silent Brass). This way you could move around the room and still hear yourself. The Silent Brass is a pain cause I frequently rip the box off the table every time I move as the cord/wires are so short.
jjohnson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh that's a good gadget!
Here's my question: can you make it durable, closable, and can it double as a suitcase? That would be AWESOME for hotel rooms on the road!
If your answer is yes, yes, and yes...I want one!
Jason
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double as a suitcase! That is such a great idea! You could probably have more hinges to make it collapse to a size suitable for some sort of storage space, with a handle to lug it around.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a suitcase? hmmmm...Here is a shot of the box with the hinged panels retracted partially. With the panels fully retracted, the box is about one foot deep. I could put additional hinges on so that the panels retract inward.

BTW: I used 3/8 inch accoustic plywood so the box would be a bit lighter.
Only the base is 1/2 inch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/jgadvert/NewShot.jpg
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kzem wrote:
Double as a suitcase! That is such a great idea! You could probably have more hinges to make it collapse to a size suitable for some sort of storage space, with a handle to lug it around.

Forget suitcase.... make it so that it doubles as a trumpet case!!!
jjohnson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who'll be the first one to the patent office? I thought about the trumpet case idea also. That would be a pretty big project, it's an interesting idea though. The case would have to be big enough so the air wouldn't back up on you. It would be great to have something like that on the road, or even to give the family a break once in a while. I can't practice in a mute!
Nice idea jg!
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JG,

That's a great idea! When will you start taking orders?

-Atom
Gurukid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjohnson wrote:
Who'll be the first one to the patent office? I thought about the trumpet case idea also.

And I'm sure you thought of the clapper too, but you never thought to get a patent

I want one of these! How about it doubles as a trumpet case and a suitcase (like have a removable compartment, with quietfoam and two boards separating the two compartments)?

Keep with it!
jjohnson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet was my idea as well, Al Gore stole it from ME!
Blutch
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't imagine what its like to play into this thing. I'm sure its better than a practice mute, but how much better? I think that playing into this box for a long period of time would have some negative affects on your playing. Your chops and respiratory system constantly respond to the feedback you get through the horn and ears... I don't know about you, but I always enjoy playing and practicing in a bigger, resonant room becuase everything works better. I just hope you aren't in a situation where you have to do the majority of your practicing in this or with a mute. That would be a drag!

MA
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...nothing beats playing open, unhindered, in a nice accoustical room. There was recently a post about a pre-fab little practice room that you could set up within your home...although probably less costly to build yourself. I don't feel any type of feeling changing, blow altering resistence with the box.

I know that other alternatives to practice mutes and Silent Brass are in the works from a number of sources. In consulting with my well known professional audio company; I understand that another local designer has his own alternative product (sounds really "off the hook"!) patent pending. I have made efforts to "protect" my various ideas...as best as possible. This is my first prototype and am sure design changes will be made. For now, I'm glad to have this box (as is) because I needed something just like it. Thanks so much to those providing feedback.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone would argue that open practice is the optimum condition, but when you live in hotels and apartments, it just is not practical. And while practice with a SB or mute is better than no practice at all, it still isn't 'the real thing'.

Put me down for one when you get the patent applied for. If you can design one that folds completely flat, then can be 'tabbed' back into a box, you will sell a million of them. Or at least one, anyway.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to quash any dreams, but one of the common ways of preventing good ideas from being patented by someone else is to publish them on a public forum.

I would guess that this forum would qualify as such a forum.

So it would be hard to patent this idea now, due to prior art.
Soontir2432
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick! Ask Todd to delete this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: