• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What makes an Olds Ambassador NOT a pro horn?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
forthaney
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forthaney wrote:
musicmork wrote:
Why not try and loosen those 2 short straight braces (NOT "S" BRACES) that attach to the valve casing? It will open the horn up a LOT!!!
On one of my Ambassador's it is like that and the horn is much open and free blowing.

I know this is an old post but can someone give some detail about this?

If you take off these braces, do you need to add any? Like a brace on the middle valve casing connecting to the leadpipe and bell (you know the standard)

Or are we talking about no bracing at all on the valve casings?

This is supposed to improve the sound but how exactly? I'm thinking projection. Will if soften or mellow the sound or brighten it up?

I got an email from steve at doctor valve, and he mentiond that removing the bracing is vital to improving the character of the ambassador. He will then install Bach braces on the second valve baluster, the top section of the casing. and may even replace the S or Z braces as well. He mentioned that the results are good with improved response. Not to mention the complete valve job, new lead pipe, and silver plating. I am very close to sending him my horn. very very close.
laurie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday
I know that the Ambassador thread was about trumpets, but I thought some of you may be interested in this..........I have an Ambassador cornet that I bought new in 1979. Its a shepherds crook short model in bright silver plate,. with 1st and 3rd slide triggers rather than throw rings. This model(A6ST) I believe was one of 300 made mostly for the British brass band market. I dont know how many made it to Australia (and possibly New Zealand?) but in the 26 or so years Ive had it I have not come accross another player with one the same. It is a pro cornet in every respect and has served me well. Have a look at the Nick DeCarlis website for Photos and info on this "Pro" Ambassador. (Thanks Nick for the info)
Laurie
NSW Australia
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie -

Both Happy Canuck and I won your same cornet this summer on ebay. Mine is (was?) in better shape, but his was much cheaper. Can't speak for him, but mine is a great player, with a really rich, warm tone. Of all the cornets in my stable, this one, with the right mouthpice, has what I would consider the quintessential cornet tone.

I would be curious what your serial number is - is your horn older or newer than mine? According to the tables, I guesstimate that mine was one of the last Olds made before they closed up shop. A sad loss for the musical instrument world.

Hope you get many more years of pleasure from your A6ST. Since there are so few out there, we ought to form a club or something!

laurie wrote:
Gday
I know that the Ambassador thread was about trumpets, but I thought some of you may be interested in this..........I have an Ambassador cornet that I bought new in 1979. Its a shepherds crook short model in bright silver plate,. with 1st and 3rd slide triggers rather than throw rings. This model(A6ST) I believe was one of 300 made mostly for the British brass band market. I dont know how many made it to Australia (and possibly New Zealand?) but in the 26 or so years Ive had it I have not come accross another player with one the same. It is a pro cornet in every respect and has served me well. Have a look at the Nick DeCarlis website for Photos and info on this "Pro" Ambassador. (Thanks Nick for the info)
Laurie
NSW Australia

Electronic mayhem as Uncle Chrome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
_Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie, Hello from Canada,

Paul is right about the A6, it's a fantastic player. Some previous owner had the 3rd trigger on mine removed so I've just gone through the process to get it replaced!

And I'm also interested in the serial number, the one Paul has is only 11 different from mine. Really interesting when you consider that you almost never see an A6 on eBay and the two that did come up were so close in serials!

Another fellow just a few miles from me also bought what looks like an A6 on eBay, but I haven't seen it yet. The serial looks correct but he can't see an 'A' before the number?! His is an A6 vs an A6ST so no triggers on it at all. I'll be seeing it shortly to compare.

I assume you looked here http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds77/amba6s.htm from the catalog and here http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds78/olds78price2.htm for the price list in '78.

Enjoy!

Olds Mendez, Recording, Super, Special & Ambassador trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds Opera, Ambassador Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds L-12 Flug/GR Butcher 65.6FL
Schilke MII trumpet/GR Butcher 65.6M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: