• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet or Flugel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Cornet or Flugel? Reply with quote

Can you get a cornet to sound like a flugelhorn? I know there are some great cornet mouthpieces out there now and it would kill two birds with one stone.
Thanks for your insight.
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
Gilligan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it with my LA Olds Ambassador. The reciever of these old horns actually accept a flugel mouthpiece (pre serial numbers 186,500 or so). I use a Denis Wicks 4FL for normal cornet and drop to a 2FL to get a really rich flugel sound. This change does sacrafice some range however.

I realize that this means buying a horn but you can get one off of eBay so cheap that you may spend less this way then looking into those highend mouthpieces.I see you are in Northern Florida. I'm in Jacksonville. Drop me a PM if you might want to try my setup.
StevenPSparks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, use a Bach flugel MP in my '35 Olds Super Recording; As close to flugel as flugel gets. I've also got a Monette B2FL 'piece that'll flugelize most any cornet (cornet MP w/ a flugel cup). As Gilligan said, though, don't plan to go much above the staff with either of 'em.
btw: As long as I've got north Florida on the line, I've been entertaining the thought of having some infrequent trumpet ensemble get togethers over here once in a while. Maybe doing some cornet & flugel ensemble stuff, as well. Would you guys be into a drive this way once every other month, or so, for such a thing??? You can respond here, or eMail is fine (StevenPSparks@Yahoo.com).

"I'm older now, so don't be a blowhard"
¦\___oTTT_____
¦/ (__o¦¦¦o__)
music matters
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to disagree with you both on this one, but it maybe because I am of the British Brass Band style. My flugel has a deep funnel V shaped piece and sounds like a flugel. My Cornet has a deep funnel V shaped mouthpiece that is nearly as big as my flugel (there is little in it) and it sounds like a Cornet still - not like a flugel at all.

However I know that lots of American Cornet mouthpieces are more like trumpet mouthpieces compared to the ones I play now, and have played on in the past, so I can see that switching to a large funnel V shaped mouthpiece will give you a much warmer richer bigger sound than you are used to on a Cornet. This is the sort of sound a British Brass band cornet will sound like. Still very much a cornet though in my opinion!

MM
alanbach
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with music matters....you will never make a cornet sound like a flugel....however I recall playing in a contest back in the '70s when one of the solo cornet players played the flugel solo with the cornet close to his knee ....it must have convinced the adjudicator because we had 2nd prize that day
doclev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: cornet or flugel Reply with quote

Cornet sound like flugel? Use a flugel mp. I have an adapter that allows me to use my Warburton 5fl mp in my trumpet, and it sounds for all the world like a flugel. In fact, a symphony player suggested some duct tape to adapt the mp to trumpet. It works very well, and is a lot smaller to carry to gigs than a flugelhorn.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can make a cornet sound like a good flugel with a good flugel mpc. You can make one sound "flugle-ish", but not the real thing.

Dave
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you would ever get the same timbre of sound of a flugelhorn on a cornet, but you can use a ridiculously large mouthpiece on a cornet to get the darkest sound possible.

You can try using a larger Denis Wick cornet mouthpiece and see how that works. It may sound more like a trombone though. The more of a V-Cup you get, the closer you will get to it. It won't ever be exact though. The flugel bells are just so much larger.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bmjcook
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday
Ahhh, maybe if you adapt a Tuba maouthpiece to a cornet you will get it to sound like a Tuba? Buy a flugel if you want a flugel sound!!!!
Cookie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: