• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

calicchio

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaser
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marktrumpet wrote:
Bob Reeves

Beat me to it.
hotcornet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: calicchio Reply with quote

kingofswing881 wrote:
does anybody own/play a calicchio horn? i'm thinking on buying one (when i get the money) and i'm wondering if anybody has any experience with these horns.

I have 2 callicchios that are wonderful....
however they were made by Domenick a long time ago....
They are extremely light, bright horns that record well...
occaisionally you see them on EBAY...if you ever do you have to act fast
because they go quickly and be prepared to pay $$$ for them....
but I can honestly say that they're the best commercial horns I've ever played...
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trptbenge wrote:
Someone mentioned earlier that Calicchio have the best valves that they had ever played. That has not been the experience that I have had. My 1S7 valves (made during Chris tenure) would occasionally catch. After having the valves lapped and worked with for a while they did become incredibly good valves. I have heard this same thing from other Calicchio players.Mike

My Calicchio did have the best valves I ever played, but my cousin's didn't. He is a good friend of Chuck Findley and may even have bought his horn the same time as Chuck. I know he and Chuck have talked about the problem. I played my cousin's horn. All three of his valves hung up. I don't know how he played it for the Sydney Olympics (he lives in Sydney, Australia), a Streisand concert, and with The James Last Orchestra in Europe. Yes, there was a period after Domenic where Calicchio's had problem valves. Anyone buying a used Calicchio should be aware of this and make sure they get to audition the horn before buying.

Just to clarify: My comment was not a generalization to all Calicchio's. I did not say "Calicchio's have the best valves...". I said "it had" in reference to the Calicchio I owned, period. I was not speaking for all Calicchio's.
robbie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i play on a 1s7 and just like trptbenge i have problems with the second valve catching.i've tried everything but it still happens.apart from this it is a beautiful sounding horn,very resonant and bright(sometimes too bright).it responds instantly and you can almost feel the air flowing through the horn.mine is the light weight model with the amado water keys,so it plays slightlydifferent to the studio models.

just a quick question to the other calicchio owners,i recently, when cleaning my horn,inadvertently, placed the second valve in the third valve casing and the third valve in where the second valve should have been.the horn played perfectly.i didn'nt notice until the third valve stuck,which never happens,and i took it out to examine it and found it was the second valve.has anyone else found this .maybe somebody will try this and let me know how they got on.i've tried it with other trumpets and they dont play if you have the valves in the wrong place.

robbie.
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaser wrote:
marktrumpet wrote:
Bob Reeves

Beat me to it.

CORRECT!!! Looks like I am going to have to get tough with you guys on the trivia!

Last edited by cjdjazztpt on Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here you guys go....

Round #2 of Name that Calicchio! Sponsored in part by.....well you get my drift!

I'll take Movies for $1000 Alex!

The question is......

For which movie did Dominick Calicchio design a specially made and stunningly visual pair of trumpets?

Bonus of $1,000.... Did the horns actually play?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is......

For which movie did Dominick Calicchio design a specially made and stunningly visual pair of trumpets?

Bonus of $1,000.... Did the horns actually play?

The movie : "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" The horns did not play. Duda has recently made a revised playable version for Paul Schaeffer's son

PM me for where to send my $1,000....
Pickett Mouthpieces
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm
Pickett Mouthpieces
Rick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just can't go wrong with a Calicchio!! The valves haven't been a problem for me. Just remember to keep them very clean and well oiled. The tolerances are sooooooooo close!!!

If the commercial sound isn't your bag, you can be sure they have at least one model that captures the sound you're after. John Duda and Dave Johnson are great guys to work with in selecting a horn.

I've had three so far -- a Hollywood Studio 2 (1s/2),a Tulsa 1sZ/3RL, and an Hollywood brass flugel. Now I'm looking forward to getting one of the new Tulsa flugels with the copper bell.

Now to convince the wife that I need another horn........

---<Rick
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 words: Freddie Hubbard 3/9!
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: