• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Gap Reply with quote

How can one measure gap? I am interested what is my gap, but I don't know how to measure it. Thanks for help ;o)
UsedBits
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a poor man's method of measuring the gap. A stiff wire and a ruler are needed.

First, measure the mouthpiece from the insertion mark to the end. Next, insert the stiff wire into the trumpet's mouthpiece receiver. Keep the wire next to the inside edge and move it down until it hits the beginning of the lead pipe.

Mark the wire at the top of the mouthpiece receiver.

Measure the length of the wire from the mark to the end (which was inserted into the trumpet). This distance should be longer than the measurement of the mouthpiece from the insertion mark to the end. If it is not, go back and measure again.

Last, subtract the mouthpiece measurement from the wire's measurement. This will be the gap.
Benge Bb, 5x, ml #8162
Benge C, 2x+, mlp #7481
Benge D/Eb, ml #6579
Benge Flug, ml #17xxx
Stomvi piccolo, m15, #901885
Boston 3-Star 1 NE Plus Ultra LP #22019
Martin Committee #151322
Bach Strad (NY) 7-10-62, #2003
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always hear all of this talkl about gaps. What is the proper gap for a Bb, C, D, Eb....?

Kevin
trumpetguy99
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I've always heard that the most effiectent Gap is about an 1/8th of an inch for most people but haven't heard anyone talk about a different gap size for different pitched horns. I wonder what the optimum Gap is for flugels?
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in my humble experience the right gap is whatever works for you. Some people prefer the same gap on every horn they own, others use a different gap on every horn they own. Some use a large gap, others a small gap. I think mine are in the .140"-.150" category. If you want to learn more about the gap and what it can do for you, ask Charlie Melk.

www.charliesbrassworks.com
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the recent thread on Schilke gap for a lot of gap info.

FWIW, the true gap is not just the linear measurement from the end of the mouthpiece to the beginning of the receiver. It's a complex formula that calculates the volume of the "chamber" created in this space. I just got an email from Brian and Gary Radke at GR that goes into this--to put it simply, the thickness of the exit wall of the mouthpiece and the thickness of the leadpipe must be factored into the equation...you can have a linear gap of ".125 but a mouthpiece exit wall that is very thick and a thin leadpipe and the gap will be way off.

You can also likely go through life as a successful player and not think about gap at all. I prefer to think about it...

https://vectortrio.bandcamp.com/
music matters
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gap doesn't exist on a flugel.

MM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: