• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Strad bell 43

View previous topic :: View next topic  
puukka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Bach Strad bell 43 Reply with quote

Since I´m toying around with trumpets to get a brighter sound and I could choose between three Bach bells for the first time of my life (37, 43 or 72)...
I wanted to ask you, if it a Bach Strad ML with a 43 bell would be a nice idea for Bigband lead playing.
At my last thread about the LT180 we figured out, that I might stay with my 3C mpc (no shallower cup) so this could be another alternative (somehow I´d also like to capitalize the weak dollar)
Herbert
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a 43* with the reversed leadpipe. It was a great big band horn. Had quite the sizzle and the upper register was very open. I was able to make it work as a lead horn; I wish I never got rid of it.

Kevin
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 43 will have more zing than the 37. Try a 72* with a 43 pipe if possible. The 3D mouthpiece is not only shallower but has a different backbore that also has more zing.
puukka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, friends!
Your opinion is of great value! Could be that you´d say "Oh, forget that horn" or something like that. So it´ll be worth the trip to the store.
Interesting also the idea about the 3D.
The problem is, that the shops in a country like Austria mostly only have 3C, 5C, 7C, 10 1/2C and Standard Strads, that´s it.
I´m very lucky that I´ll have the opportunity to choose between 3 different bells.
Herbert
splitz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

On the mouthpiece front, if it's difficult to try bachs where you are, consider the curry line. I tried these after trying to replace my bach 1 1/2C for about a year, and these currys are really great pieces that are virtually indistinguishable from bachs. Mark will send them to you, and I can promise that if you like bach,s you wont be dissapointed. http://www.currympc.com

Hope this helps
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a friends Bach Lightweight 43 reverse leadpipe on time. I thought it played great! I had too many horns at the time to buy one but still plan to order that model on a trial basis sometime. I own several 37s and what I liked about the 43 LR was it was so much more open than my 37. It was also very bright which I like in a lead horn. I prefer open blowing horns and presently play a Callet .472 for the lead and pop stuff but I did like the blow on the Bach 43 LR. I think it would be a good horn to consider for lead playing.
trumpet cat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the 2 lightweight 43 bell Bachs mentioned above in all likelihood have standard weight bells. The only way a Bach reverse leadpipe horn would have a lightweight bell is if it was specially ordered or if it was modified.
badiddley
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a bach 43 lr. it has the standard weight bell. but the body on the lr horns is lightweight. the horn has a broad sound and is bright. not overly bright...but it will cut. i wouldn't recommend a light weight 43 bell because the 43 is already bright.

i played a 43 lightweight with standard tuning slide and it was brighter than my horn. didn't like it.
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet cat wrote:
Note that the 2 lightweight 43 bell Bachs mentioned above in all likelihood have standard weight bells. The only way a Bach reverse leadpipe horn would have a lightweight bell is if it was specially ordered or if it was modified.

Mine was a lightweight bell. It was not special ordered, I got it when I was in middle school at the local music store. I had the horn for probably 10 years before I sold it, but it was a lightweight bell.

Kevin
trumpet cat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach offers many standard configurations for their trumpets. A lightweight bell on a reversed leadpipe trumpet is not a standard Bach configuration. If your horn was as you described, it must have been special ordered by the store that sold you the horn.

See the Bach LR180 and description here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: