• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lacquer stripping? (opinions please)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.S.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Lacquer stripping? (opinions please) Reply with quote

Last week I stripped the lacquer off my Bach 37. A few trumpet players that I work with on occasions have done it so I like watching someone jump off a bridge did it too. I can definately notice a dramatic sound difference to the positive. But at the same time, I have alot of remorce as well. Questions roll through my head such as "did the metal stripper do any permanant damage to the metal that I am not aware of?" "Is the oxydation of the raw brass going to create red rot and problems that sometimes occur from the inside when inside oxydation happens"? "Can the salt from the sweat of my hands eat through the raw brass? If anyone has any thoughts let me know.
Marceau - C Trumpet
Olds Superstar - Flugelhorn
eb1ch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of people do it. i wouldn't worry much. Maybe use a vavle guard if you're real concerned. Maybe non corrosive brass polish on your horn would be good, sort of like waxing your car to protect the paint.

Last edited by eb1ch on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
thatleadguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will only run in to trouble if you constantly polish the brass. Letting it tarnish and turn brown will actually create a protective coat over the horn. The most protection you might want to consider is a LEATHER valve guard.

Enjoy your BRASS instrument!
S.S.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatleadguy wrote:
You will only run in to trouble if you constantly polish the brass. Letting it tarnish and turn brown will actually create a protective coat over the horn.

That's kind of what I thought which is why I'm not polishing it. Thanks for the imput.
Marceau - C Trumpet
Olds Superstar - Flugelhorn
tptscream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi S.S., (or anyone), what did you use to strip the horn?
Holton ST302 MF
Schilke B3
Olds Super (L.A.)
GR 64.7 mp (S/MS/M)
Getzen Signature Flugel- Stork 6FL
Kadams4458

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptscream wrote:

Very recently, I stripped my Besson. The lacquer was only about 50%, and the horn was really beginning to smell foul due to corrosion and grime that was forming beneath the finish.

I stripped it with 3711 Mar-Hyde Tal-Strip II aerosol aircraft finish remover. I misted the entire horn with the stuff and let it sit for about fifteen minutes, and then I washed it all off with a garden hose and a cheapy paint brush. The stripper removed every trace of lacquer. No elbow grease required!
tptscream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty high tech. Would a conventional paint/lacquer stripping solution work as well?
Holton ST302 MF
Schilke B3
Olds Super (L.A.)
GR 64.7 mp (S/MS/M)
Getzen Signature Flugel- Stork 6FL
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I love the "raw" deal. About 25% of my horns are lacquer-free ... very cool, and "organic" -- especially, the ones with copper parts.
I use conventional paint / lacquer stripper; and, I am not impressed. It's a lot of work, and an environmental disaster (not as bad as those awful styrofoam packaging "peanuts"). This aircraft aerosol stripper sounds interesting. I've read that spray-on "E-Z Off" oven cleaner works pretty well ... anyone want to confirm ??

Robert Rowe

"...you cain't polish a turd!..." (old Southern expression)
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lacquer stripping? (opinions please) Reply with quote

S.S. wrote:
Last week I stripped the lacquer off my Bach 37. A few trumpet players that I work with on occasions have done it so I like watching someone jump off a bridge did it too. I can definately notice a dramatic sound difference to the positive. But at the same time, I have alot of remorce as well. Questions roll through my head such as "did the metal stripper do any permanant damage to the metal that I am not aware of?" "Is the oxydation of the raw brass going to create red rot and problems that sometimes occur from the inside when inside oxydation happens"? "Can the salt from the sweat of my hands eat through the raw brass? If anyone has any thoughts let me know.

Worn lacquer is actually more of a risk to cause damage because the sweat from your hands will collect in the areas where the lacquer is worn. It will also find its way under the lacquer which will also cause more damage.

The suggestion to not polish it often is a really good one, but I would not suggest a valve guard as the sweat can pool under it and cause more damage to the horn.

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Now a synth junkie as well
eb1ch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said to polish it I only meant once, certainly not regular intervals or often. The one time polish should help protect the raw brass just a little, and not hurt it that much. Probably not at all necessary. Maybe I’ll shut up since I’ve never actually owned a raw horn for more than a month.

Last edited by eb1ch on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The laquer on Bach Strads will actually come off in a hot bath after a few hours soaking.
Tampahorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the aircraft stripper before and it works very well. I bought it at the auto parts store for about $5. There is an interesting product ive found for protecting brass, its called everbrite. It is a clear protective coating that is applied to brass and other metals to prevent oxidation. It leaves a beautiful finish on the horn. Once your horn is cleaned and polished, if you spray it with water that is basically the gloss you will get once the coating is applied. It is easily applied, you just wipe it on. The only down side is that it is not durable like a laquer coat and can be scratched more easily. On the other hand it is unique because it bonds to itself and you can touch up scratches very easy. Finally it is easily removed with denatured alcohol. The link is www.everbrite.net. A four ounce can will be enough for at least four trumpets.
Kadams4458

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptscream wrote:
Sounds pretty high tech. Would a conventional paint/lacquer stripping solution work as well?

Well, the Tal-Strip isn't hard to get, or high tech. I picked a can up from a national auto parts chain store for about 5 USD. You won't spend less on any other stripping product, or have an easier time finding it. Plus you can get it in an aerosol can, so applying it is a breeze!

Just remember to pick up a pair of rubber gloves if you decide to go through with it. You'll need them in order to handle the horn safely while removing the stripper.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Gotta tell y'all....
A number of years ago, I was on a yacht, the old presidential (USA) yacht, Sequoia, (de-commisioned by that moron, Jim-uh Carter). Below decks, the engine room simply gleamed -- lotsa brass. I figured, "what a nightmare polishing chore" ... the mate winked, and told me their secret : "just wipe with oily rag, now-and-then".
Since then, I have applied this technique to my raw brass (& copper, & silver) horns -- in subtle moderation -- and it works beautifully. I have an old T-shirt rag that I use to daub / wipe excess valve oil ... it does double-duty as the wiping rag on the raw metal. Mind you, this is not an oil-soaked rag. It leaves an almost inperceptible film, and does not transfer to my hands. Of course I don't rub my eyes or play with my
"binky" without washing my hands (you have heard of washing your hands occasionally, right?). Some of you guys will be skeptical, as usual. So, don't do it. Apathy is worse than ignorance.

Robert Rowe

TaylorBarnett80
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a stripped horn for years and my only problem with it was that it would turn my skin green where I touched the raw brass. The green would wash off but it did have a unique smell that I grew to hate. I used a leather guard and some electrical tape to keep my skin (on my left hand) from turning green and to protect the horn from wear from the acids in my skin.
My only caution health wise is that if you have an open sore or cut, I would protect that from too much contact with the raw brass (not that I ever had a problem with poisoning).
It sure looks cool though.
Taylor
thatleadguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptscream wrote:

laquer remover from sherwin williams
thatleadguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
Yeah, I love the "raw" deal. About 25% of my horns are lacquer-free ... very cool, and "organic" -- especially, the ones with copper parts.
I use conventional paint / lacquer stripper; and, I am not impressed. It's a lot of work, and an environmental disaster (not as bad as those awful styrofoam packaging "peanuts"). This aircraft aerosol stripper sounds interesting. I've read that spray-on "E-Z Off" oven cleaner works pretty well ... anyone want to confirm ??

Robert Rowe

EZ off does not work very well, however it will turn your horn a really cool metalic purple!

No...you're laughing, but I was being serious!
Kadams4458

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
...Gotta tell y'all....
A number of years ago, I was on a yacht, the old presidential (USA) yacht, Sequoia, (de-commisioned by that moron, Jim-uh Carter). Below decks, the engine room simply gleamed -- lotsa brass. I figured, "what a nightmare polishing chore" ... the mate winked, and told me their secret : "just wipe with oily rag, now-and-then".
Since then, I have applied this technique to my raw brass (& copper, & silver) horns -- in subtle moderation -- and it works beautifully. I have an old T-shirt rag that I use to daub / wipe excess valve oil ... it does double-duty as the wiping rag on the raw metal. Mind you, this is not an oil-soaked rag. It leaves an almost inperceptible film, and does not transfer to my hands. Of course I don't rub my eyes or play with my
"binky" without washing my hands (you have heard of washing your hands occasionally, right?). Some of you guys will be skeptical, as usual. So, don't do it. Apathy is worse than ignorance.

Robert Rowe

an oily rag does work wonders for keeping corrosion down to a minimum. My father, grandfather, and great grandfather used to keep all of their tools in pristine condition that way. Everything that was used was wiped down with a cloth dampened with kerosene at the end of the day. We have tools made from raw brass and bare steel that have been in the family for well over 100 years, and they are all as clean and shiny as the day they were made.
Bourbon City
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is for Kadams4458:

When you used the 3711 Mar-Hyde Tal-Strip II aerosol aircraft finish remover did you remove the valve slides before you applied the aerosol? Did you rub the parts? How long did it take to work? Where did you do it, inside in your bathtub or outside? Bad fumes? In other words, please tell me how you did it and tell me what you would do differently if you did it again.

This is great information.

Thank you,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: