• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Good basic horn for comeback

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Good basic horn for comeback Reply with quote

I've been reading a lot on this forum about horns. It gets confusing after a while because everyone plays differently or has a different sound concept. You get a lot of different opinions on what horn sounds good and/or plays good. So, as a comeback player who probably couldn't tell the difference between playing a Winston and a Monette, what would be a good horn to start on. When I say good all I mean is a horn with good intonation so that I'm not playing out of tune and valves that are smooth enough to not get in the way. Additionally, I don't want a horn that just plain sounds bad. I figure it will be a horn I will keep until I'm accomplished enough to know what I want. Don't know how long that'll take so it can't be a cheap piece of crap that will fall apart. All that being said I was thinking that a Yamaha 2335 or a Getzen 300 series would fit the bill. Any opinions on these 2 horns? Other options? Oh, and I don't want an Ambassador. I have one and it's pretty worn out. Would like to go new.
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your budget? Might as well get the best equipment you can afford. If you stick to well-known brands, you won't lose much if you decide to sell down the road.

Not sure where you live, but the best thing is to go to a well-stocked store with a friend or teacher who's a good player and let the right horn reveal itself.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha and Getzen are both good beginner horns, and are well made equipment that fit the beginner motif quite well.

The very best thing you can do for your comeback is take some lessons right from day 1 to get off on the right foot. Talk with your instructor about who you like as far as pros go, and let them help you head in that direction with sound concept.

Start out on a 7C mouthpiece, and vow you will not change for the first year. Who knows, maybe you will stick to it!! (I didn't, and have a different 'piece for every trumpet).
still_fiddlin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a new Yamaha 4335G off eBay a couple years back for less than ww&bw's 2335 price - I think the eBay price is a bit more now (probably the dollar's decline). But, a good horn. Recently I briefly tried a Kanstul 700 and thought it was a super horn for the price. I think you can probably get a new one of those from PiCK for less than a new YTR-2335, based on prices I see online. (I'd get the Kanstul instead of the Yamaha even if it was the same price.) Good luck.
mototrmpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may also depend on your situation. How accomplished were you before you originally quit playing. You mentioned you're coming back. Are you planning on coming back for quite a while or just testing the water gain? The difference being a long term investment vs. a short term investment. What is your financial situation?

If you're more established financially, were once a very good player and plan on playing for many years to come, you may want to consider a professional level horn (new or used).
If you're still struggling financially or are not sure how committed to playing you are, a used student level horn may be good. There are a lot of varibles to consider.

I picked up a used UMI Benge off ebay for a good price for my daughter. It's an intermediate level horn and even if she quits, I know I can sell it for close to what I bought it for. The same can be said for most used horns off ebay. The horns sold on the TH are probably better quality since you have more serious players trying to sell their stuff, but they also seem to selling for slightly more.

-Lance
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been some good advice here so far.

One surprise I just discovered is that the Getzen 300 is actually more expensibe than their step-up Capri models. (Take a look at the Dillon's price list)

I'd also mull over the idea of renting, particularly if you think you will know what you want in a time scale measured in months and not years. In my area, renting a trumpet for 6 months will cost about $120. If you buy a new student horn and turn around and sell it, you could lose at least that month. Also, when renting, it's possible to play a couple of different student horns.
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a local music store has used pro trumpets like the Getzen 700, or whatever too....
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a Yamaha 7XX with good valves (look up posts involving "Yamalloy" to find out about difficulties some folks have had with older Yamaha valves), you're likely to find a very good, but older, pro level horn at a very reasonable price. Something to consider.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextbrass/Mheffernan,

He says he wants to go new. Not the choice I would make, but it's his decision.

Tom
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom LeCompte wrote:
Nextbrass/Mheffernan,

Tom

OK, I'll read more carefully next time!
Wise3028
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out student and intermediate Kanstul's - Depending on how much you want to spend. They're a great bargain and really nice horns.
Call PC at PICK Music. She usually has a few on hand.
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself an Olds Ambassador. You won't regret it. You can get a good one for $250 or less off ebay. Get one tho with a SN of 500XXX or less. These were the best. I haven't played a late model pro horn yet that is better.
_Kanstul-Krazy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As previously mentioned, definately check out the Kanstul Model 700!
This horn is a real nice horn for the money.

Check out this link, it will also link you over to the factory's website for some spec stuff. http://www.pickmusic.net/TPT%20pages/PTS.htm

BTW - Welcome aboard TrumpetHerald BobD! I think it's good that you're doing your homework and checking what others have to say. Please don't forget, the bottom line is .... how do you like the horn and how does it play for you.

Good Luck!
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of you mentioned used and one said he wouldn't go new. I'm wondering why someone wouldn't want go with a new horn? I talked to someone at Osmun music here in Boston and he said in trumpets, newer is better. Better valves, compression, better intonation, better build quality. Am I really missing something with the older horns? I know in the sax world older usually means MUCH better sound.
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Good used trumpets Reply with quote

Bob,
There are many pro level trumpets that you can purchase for less than the price of a new student trumpet. If you decide that trumpet playing isn't for you then you can always resell the horn and basically get back what you paid for it. If you decide that you want to stick with the comeback then you'll have a pro level instrument that you can grow into. I bought a Yamaha 6335H last year for $450. Kanstul made F. Besson Mehas and Brevettes can be generally had for very reasonable prices. LA Benges and Olds Supers are also very nice horns that can be bought for less than student trumpet money as can the French Besson Marvin Stamm trumpets. B&S Challenger makes a very good trumpet that can be had very reasonably also. Trumpet Herald has a search function. Do a little research and you can get a lot of bang for your buck. Newer does not always mean better. A good used pro level trumpet that hasn't been abused is more desireable than most student trumpets. I suspect a used Yamaha 6310Z will blow rings around any bright shiny new student trumpet. It would play easier with better intonation. Try out some new pro level horns at the music store. Find the one you like best and then get a pre-owned model in good condition and you will me much happier than if you brought home that pretty new student trumpet.

Regards,
Tim
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom LeCompte wrote:
Nextbrass/Mheffernen,

Tom
Sorry I overlooked it
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I actually bought an Olds Ambassador off Ebay today. The seller is ez4u2bcool. He seems to sell a lot of Olds stuff on Ebay and has good feedback. The one I bought is a 722xxx which puts it at 1970. He says it has been cleaned and is ready to play. The compression is good, slides all move freely and the valves are smooth and fast. He also has one in the same condition that is from 1963 422xxx serial. They are about the same price. I paid $165 for the 722. Did I get a good deal or should I go for the 422xxx model?
gmonteith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to get a 1950s or early 60s-era Ambassador and put a new leadpipe on it. I put a Pilzuk leadpipe on my 1961 Ambassador last year and it went from being a good horn to being a VERY good horn. My total investment was around $350.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: