• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:48 am    Post subject: DB Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I grasp the concept of acticulation using the fingers. Can you explain this?
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said this before, but what the heck...

Regarding articulation (with the tongue -- not sure how to articulate with my fingers -- are you talking about cleanly and quickly moving the valves?) my teacher and I developed an analogy to water from a faucet (or spigot, if you prefer). It goeth thusly:

The airflow is like the water from the faucet. When you tongue, it is like flicking your finger through the water -- the stream doesn't change, you just briefly interrupt it. Tonguing is NOT like turning the spigot (faucet) on and off!

FWIW - Don
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following Dave's post (good job, that!) I might note that a couple of times when I've had problems tonguing a passage I tended to back off the air, trying to play "gentler" or maybe softer. Death to articulation -- in every case, what I really needed to do was to blow harder to provide more air support for the chops and tongue.

Should this be in the Fundamental Forum, BTW?

Great topic! - Don
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I really needed to do was to blow harder to provide more air support for the chops and tongue.
=============================

Mr.Herman...may I suggest that you might like to think of it as not "blowing harder" [suggesting mass of air] but...

... "projecting a more focussed air-stream".

This may or may not be what you meant.

We are only typing after all...however I'm sure you managed to get the end result as you say.

Best Regards Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roddy,

No, this time I actually needed to blow more air. I was trying to focus the airstream into a neat little squirt, but just didn't have enough. In an effort to make my articulations dainty and fast, I cut down the wind. I thought less air would make it easier to tongue; the opposite was true. I find I need to blow a bit harder (as in "more air") to tongue cleanly, especially fast passages at medium or low (sonic) volume.

Good idea to think of focusing the airstream, regardless! And, may be just the thought for some of us. Just blowing away without thinking why and what may not help much. And as for my getting the end result, well, nothing's a given, including what the "end" was...

An interesting twist to this diatribe might be to ask what folks do when trying to tongue fast and clean in the upper register? Tonguing a little run in the staff seems easier than an octave over, at least for me.

All the Best! - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: