• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need a recommendation for a digital recorder, please.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcbennett3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Need a recommendation for a digital recorder, please. Reply with quote

One that sounds GOOD. Integrated mic, all that. Give approx. prices, too, please.
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a sharp mini disc recorder with a sony mic. Works great and all together you can get it for under three bills
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a recommendation for a digital recorder, please. Reply with quote

Check out Trent Austin's posting of his playing in the Horns forum. He uses a Fostex MR-8 compact flash recorder and a Shure SM-57 mic. Probably a $400 combination if you shop around.

Your requirements of good sound and integrated mic are mutually exclusive. Pick which is more important to you and go from there.

wcbennett3 wrote:
One that sounds GOOD. Integrated mic, all that. Give approx. prices, too, please.

Electronic mayhem as Uncle Chrome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There...

you can check out new clips that I recorded with the Fostex's internal mic as well as read more about the little unit in my "sound clip of Eclipse Trumpet" post... I can't remember the title but I have at least 7 clips that I recorded on the Fostex. I was impressed on how well the internal mic worked. The only drawback is that it records on flash memory. If you're doing a bunch of multi-tracking (I haven't really done much, YET) you'll have to constantly "bump" tracks over, even with a bigger flash card. Last night I recorded a demo at a local church and just dumped each track onto my laptop after recording. If I was to record a small ensemble like trios and under the internal mic would be great.

I think it did a pretty good job on the tpt/organ stuff considering that's the first time I tried it (the organ is a little low in the mix but I can tweak that next time.

What initially turned into something to pass time has really become productive and extremely insightful.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31076

Even with that in mind this unit is WELL worth the $299 I spent.

Hope this helps!

Email me at trent@trentaustin.commmmmm (delete the mmms) for more specific questions that you might have.

Best,

Trent
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Webbsta78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archos used to make an mp3 player/recorder that will record to mp3 file.
It has an integrated stereo condenser mic, usb2 interface, and also works as a 20gb external hard drive.

The recording quality is fairly good, similar to minidisc, also you can plug a mic like the sony ecm907, that many people use on their mDiscs. The nice thing about this unit is that you're recording to mp3, just pull it on to the computer, and can burn to CD immediately, no transfer loss like on a mdisc. And with 20GB of storage, you will never run out of recording room. All this in a package slightly larger than an iPod.

Check eBay for Archos jukebox recorders.

J
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha--? I didn't know about these Archos recorders, but there seem to be plenty on ebay, and the 20-gig models go for cheap.

Can anyone whose used these for portable recording chime in? If the sound quality is at least minidisc-level, these would seem to be a perfect solution for documenting rehearsals, quick live recordings, etc. I've had my eyes on a MD recorder for the same purpose, but this looks better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: