• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso on holiday?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Young Man with a Horn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been using Caruso for a number of weeks but have found it to be extremely beneficial to my playing. The main aspect of improvement has been my endurance which has never been particularly great up til now.

I am, however, going away on holiday for a week fairly soon and have a number of important jobs awaiting me on my return.

Are there any (fairly short) exercises you could recommend (Caruso or otherwise) to help keep my lips in trim while I am away?

I almost forgot to mention, while it is possible for my mouthpiece to travel away with me, taking the trumpet is not an option!

Thanks
gfpstudios

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tough problem. You might go to a local music store and "try out" some of their wares. I had this problem once but was at a summer camp but I was able to at least play bugle calls three times a day to keep from losing the edge totally. You could also check out local garage sales for old horns...even an old straight bugle with a sock stuffed into it should suffice to give you your pressure fix.

Greg
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmine never recommended buzzing the mouthpiece unless you immediately followed that by playing something on the trumpet. Everything was to relate to playing the horn. Therefore, from a Caruso point of view you might be out of luck if you can't play the open (unmuted) horn on your holiday.

From a non-Caruso point of view, I find playing on the mouthpiece/leadpipe combination to be very helpful. This is a Bill Adam thing, and Charly is a recent convert

Maybe you can get the leadpipe from an old horn and take that along with the mouthpiece?
B6L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off a 2 week vacation in St. Martin, one day at home then starting monday a bunch of one nighters playing lead. during vacation I was able to get my Caruso routine (week 1 in every day on the silent brass, been playing today and it feels as if I didn't take a break!!......every thing is normal!!!
Don't make a big deal out of the trumpet or it will REALLY mess with your head! This is why I really love the Caruso approach to music .....play the exercises, dont think just do
work on music and really sing and make music......get your self a silent brass or anything else that will allow you to play the horn witout bothering anyone do Caruso and enjoy vacation and focus on your family!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nate
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate,

You sound like you're moving along very well. Have you started the Clarke Tech Studies a la Caruso, yet?

I've never used the silent brass equipment. Does it create any additional resistence in the horn and/or weight on the end of the trumpet?
B6L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Raymond,
Caruso is going GREAT!!! the improvement in my playing is not out of this world but it is steady, the biggest improvement is in my head, before I made such a big deal out of the mechanical part of playing the trumpet I was paralized, I had to do a set warmup, then Clark,Irons,Colin,,etc etc etc ,I had to do every method ie.37 weeks, DHC in 10 min,systematic approach to daily practice,Daily trumpet routines,Sail the 7 C's etc. etc. etc ...I've done them all. Caruso for me is perfect , I just pick up the horn play the 6 notes,2nds then work on what ever week I am on in "getting started" rest ,go to work, reherse ,work on etudes whatever , have fun and make music . Simply put Caruso works!!
Now about the Silent Brass, I bought one when they first came out, played on it and wasn't really moved by it ,but I really liked the mute. We went on a short cruise ( I'm in the Navy band stationed in Italy) for about 10 days, I brought the mute but not the rest of the stuff thinking I will be cool...........well not, the mute is very good in lowering the sound of the horn,but without the little amp and ear phones you can't really hear your self as well as you think you can,so you end up over blowing which makes the mute feel much more stuffy and in my case really messed up my chops, so to make a long story not too much longer I gave up on the practice mute thing ,bad mouthed slient brass etc. ....Along comes Caruso explained with out all the mystery taken out (Trp. Herald) and I feel it is far more importian to practice and get the routine in every day then anything else, I travel ALOT and I dont want to miss a day......... so I use the mute......but you HAVE to use the ear phones!!!!!!!! when playing with the phones the mute dosen't feel as stuffy, also when I'm on the road the only thing I play on the mute is Caruso and every thing is fine.
I just want thank you again for all your help and when I get back to the states next year I would like to get together for a lesson if possible.
Nate
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate,

You have a great story to tell and it sounds like you have adapted perfectly to the Caruso mind set.

Progress as you describe it, slow and steady, believe me is the best way. If it comes in spurts, as it does with some students, it can be disheartening when there is no improvement.

But you sound like you are headed for major improvement and great success as a trumpet player.

I will put up a new thread today which will refer to Clarke. Be sure to check it out.

Sure, let's get together for a session when you get Stateside!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: