• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: DB Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, Dave...let's just stay away from valve guide material and cryo freezing

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't all those categories logically fall into aready existing forums?
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Pro and Con forum?

Nah, I´m against it...

dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hotlipsporter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, To say that all the best jazz has already been played is like saying that it is dead, or at least that it can no longer progress. I think that this is an ephitat far too soon for an art form far too young to be dead. This all depends on what you consider the "best" jazz though. If your are looking to hear another Armstrong, Berrigan, Parker, or Gillespie, then you are right. But it is quite certain that no one will ever play like Louis Armstrong, Harry James, Clark Terry, Clifford Brown, etc... but who is to say what the future holds. How can you imply that no great jazz exist today or tommorow. I would argue on behalf of Wynton, however I really believe his music speaks much more clearly for itself than I could, especially when you relate it to where Duke and Mingus were going with their music. (please, I would rather not argue about this, just stating my opinion). However, Wynton aside, what about great contemporary artists like Gonzalo Rubalakaba (cant spell that), Mark Whitfield, Keith Jarret, Elvin Jones (Jazz Machine), Joshua Redman, etc...

I am of the opinion that the best Jazz contains that spirit which is timeless. Two recordings off the top of my head: Louis Armstrong playing Potatoe Head Blues (1927), and John Coltrane playing Crecent (1964), both of these are truly amazing and you can't deny that the 37 years between them make any difference in their appeal to us today (can you?). I recently heard Ahmad Jamal live and I could easily place that amazing performance next to the two previous, and its the year 2002. I think that a statement such as yours is really unfair to the many great Jazz musicians out there making the best music they can in this day and age. Among them, there are great artists surely emerging. Check out Greg Osby, Jeremy Pelt, Mike Rodriguez, etc...

Please, for your own sake, have an open mind of what is out there and what is to come and dont (if you do) base what is great on what was great.

I don't think that a pro/con forum would be anything entirely new. Debate certainly exists already so you might as well try and make something positive out of it. So when two trumpeters start going at it, and others start jumping in on either side (which can get pretty ugly sometimes), they can just move it to a debate-pro/con room where that kind of stuff wouldnt be looked down upon but rather encouraged. Just my thoughts.

Charles P.

P.S. Where do you live?- Im in NYC, so maybe I have a slight advantage to you (in terms of hearing what is out there), since I live in the Jazz capitol of the world.

[ This Message was edited by: Hotlipsporter on 2002-04-17 01:45 ]
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-26 11:24, dbacon wrote:
All the best Jazz has been played, for example. I happen to believe that ...

You might as well say something as assinine and unfounded as 'I believe the best jazz will be played in the year 2384'. If that's your attitude about jazz, then why the heck do you play it? The overwhelming majority of people I have talked to play jazz (rather than classical, or old-dead-guy-music) because of it's ever expanding possibilities and the ability to move both forward and laterally at the same time. If you're approaching jazz with your attitude, you may as well quit and start digging ditches, because the best ditches are yet to be dug!!!! Maybe you're just a paycheck player though... hey that's fine too.

[ This Message was edited by: nicholas dyson on 2002-08-13 03:23 ]
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-26 11:24, dbacon wrote:
The format would be different and allow for you to see the arguments lined up on both sides like a balance sheet and develop the logic or ill-logic to the reader. Left column Pro, right column Con. As it is we have opinions but it would be good to have resolutions develop from a proposition. All the best Jazz has been played, for example. I happen to believe that and would give recorded examples of that. Some one else might think Wynton is recording the best Jazz ever and challenge me. Just a different format.

Dave Bacon

Hey Dave,

First of all you want to list arguments on both sides. We have, in my opinion way to many arguments already.

If you want a resolution from different opinions I'm not sure that is not going to happen. Just because you or someone else has a recording that you/they think is the best, doesn't mean that is the definetive answer.

It will be interesting.
Best of luck,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-06-28 14:37 ]
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another great idea that is sadly not followed through on. Yes, these types of things can be discussed within existing forums.
But if you like this type of discussion(I would like to read about the pros and cons of every horn and technique approach) you dont have to weed this type of discussion out.

Boys and girls, if you talk the same talk, you'll end up always talking to the same people(for the most part). That aint good from a number of standpoints.

I have no absolutely no doubt that this would get many more views(=interest!) than several others which now exist. No doubt

PS: You guys turned a very simple suggestion in to this debate that's so boring, I cant even bear to read it.

Topic one:

The Bach strad 37.

Pros:Beautiful sounding, well respected name brand horn in most cases etc...

Cons: Stuffy in high register. Production inconsistencies etc...

[ This Message was edited by: jgadvert on 2002-08-13 01:49 ]
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doesn't someone start a debate in the debating forum regarding the Pros and Cons forum? Seems like there is some support. I don't know who will debate you, but I'm willing to bet Charly is game! weeeeee! fun times!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: