• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Muting a mute!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Muting a mute! Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a real beginner, been playing only 3 months. I got the Yamaha silent brass system when I first bought my trumpet (Yamaha YTR2335)but have since sold it because I really didn't like wearing headphones whilst playing, or the resistance that it gave. I still need to consider the poor neighbours though as I struggle with the 'high' notes (that's a third space C for me folks).
I also have a Denis Wick straight mute - has anyone got any ideas on further reducing the volume using this mute. I found the resistance given by the silent brass quite difficult as a beginner whereas I don't have problems with the straight mute, presumably all practice mutes give a similar resistance. Is it a good or a bad thing for a beginner to practice with such a mute.
So many questions, I'm glad I found the Trumpet Herald!

Cheers, Steve
hilgenboogie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Muting a mute! Reply with quote

sjd wrote:
I also have a Denis Wick straight mute - has anyone got any ideas on further reducing the volume using this mute.

Try a cup mute instead. I use a Shastock cup for practicing in hotel rooms, and, although it's not quite as silent as the silent brass, it's still pretty good, and doesn't tire you out as quickly. The trick is getting a cup mute with an adjustable cup, so you can get it right next to the bell of the horn.
Matt
bearkatrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a BrasSpa practice mute. It gets it really quiet without too much back pressure.

--Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: