• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

COPPER JORAL-V/S ALUM.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Dyson and I swapped Joral mutes yesterday also...
Nick was looking for less harshness and more musicality and I couldn't handle that HEAVY WEIGHTED COPPER MONSTER==STICKIN' WAAAY OUT THERE...on the end of my bell.

NOW I KNOW HOW MUCH EFFORT IT MUST TAKE TO LIVE WITH A MONETTE RAJA-RAMA-DING-DONG DAY HORN.

Also the copper sound, though beautiful and voice like...without a mic, I found myself SCREAMIN' AND BLOWIN' MY CHOPS OFF TO BE HEARD. ( and it kept falling out unless I CRAMMMMMED IT IN...USING SPIT OR SNOT FROM MY SNOTVALVE...UH! WATER VALVE.

Nick, Enjoy the trade...you are young and have the chops and strong arms...but me, guess I feel fine using the lighter alum. Joral even though it plays a little harsher and metalic...but at least I can hear myself with out SHOUTING my azzzzski off through the mp.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm scarcely an authority, the JoRal copper bubble *wah-wah") mute is the best I've played -- great, rich sound, intonation is fine up and down my range, and it's the best armbuilding weight I've got!

Toodles - Don
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-09 22:16, Don Herman wrote:
While I'm scarcely an authority, the JoRal copper bubble *wah-wah") mute is the best I've played -- great, rich sound, intonation is fine up and down my range, and it's the best armbuilding weight I've got!

Toodles - Don

Hey, Nick! "HOW'S IT HANGIN' (Uhhh, I should have said...How's that heavy copper Joral...hangin out the end of your Callicchio?
I worked with your old alumn. Joral last night...all in all it sounds pretty much like my old beat up Harmon on steroids...but this one stays in pitch and plays far and away betta' below the staff..down in the "harmon-goose honk range and I don't have to blow my face off to hear myself when playing along with Miles...
You really should have kept both mutes for an accurate comparison, huh? Even though the copper bugga' does have such a mellow voice, huh?
Have fun on the Tula's gig tomorrow night. Weather forcast for downtown is in the 90's but the latent heat from all the glass buildings and concrete will assure that it will hit upper 90's for sure (AND IN SEATTLE YET!)
You and Seelyman and the Emerald City Jazz bro's...DRINK LOT'S OF FLUIDS...AND GO FOR THE TANK TOPS WITH BOW TIES..and all that hot jazz.
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lovin' the copper! Man, what a sound! I'm glad you're happy Badboy! I know I am!
BikeLawyer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you folks have intonation trouble with the heavy copper mutes? I love the sound on mine, but the tuning goes to hell as soon as I put it in... almost like I'm in a different key! Any thoughts on 'best' brands of harmon, wah wah's etc...

Steve
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intonation on mine is great. Flip modified the corks for my WT, and it is the most in-tune wah-wah I've played (small sample, though, of maybe 3-5).

Mutes generally come from the factories with corks that are either oversize, meaning you'll have to file/sand them down to get proper intonation and fit, or to fit an average horn (e.g., Bach37) in which case you may need to reduce or enlarge (by buying larger corks, or helper strips) the corks on the mute. I suspect a number of perfectly good mutes have been trashed because the player didn't know, or didn't want to, adjust the corks for tuning.

Usual numerous disclaimers - Don
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to do some slight adjusting to the cork for "fit" but my copper has always maintained good intonation. I think for larger ensemble playing or "electric" playing if you will, I may want to pick up an aluminum for the "cut". It seems, at least for me that in poor miking/monitor situations, I tend to overblow the copper and it backs up on me. Other than that type of situation, I absolutely LOVE the copper!!!
cybertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you played the harmon made by Best Brass of Japan?? It creams any mute out there in terms of tone and intonation. Flip is selling them now and let me tell you, with this mute, there is no need to pull out the tuning slide and the tone is rich and warm. This mute is an instrument unto itself. Contact Flip Oakes, as he is now the US distributor for the Best Brass harmon mute called the "sound transformer"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: