• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Accompaniment/performance CD's and music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a forum to discuss CD accompaniment/performance literature which is available for purchase would be helpful to those of us who perform primarily in this fashion. Jim
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

What type of playing would you be using these for?

Tom
Buzz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Tom! A thought on how to use an accompaniment cd...A couple of weeks ago we had my hmmmm can't remember what year high school reunion, and one of my friends played his trumpet with a rhythm section on an accompaniment cd. (That was hard to say... cut me some slack on the description!) He was a hit. The accompaniment cd was in the key of c, so he had an easy time.

Also... I think it would be nice to have one to practice improvisation.
Meg
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Meg,

Yes, practicing and/or performing with accompaniment CDs and cassette tapes is really nice. Additionally, using them while recording your practice sessions will really show a person, upon playback, a lot about their individual horns and their own strengths and weaknesses. Its a great way to practice.

As a contemporary Christian soloist, my accompaniment "library" stands at somewhere a little over 150 songs on tape and/or CD.

I also have a real "workout" of a CD for jazz practice: Volume 67 "Tune Up" by Jamey Aebersold. This stereo CD, w/accompianing book, has seven jazz songs on it with piano, bass and drums to back you up.

The neat thing about the Volume 67 CD is that it takes all seven songs and modulates through all twelve keys before the song finishes! One selection is almost twelve minutes long and all are quite a workout! Again, recording your practices will not lie to you . . . you'll really determine your performance limits (range, aggressiveness and endurance-wise)!

Some days I use these songs to build endurance--trying not to take more than a beat or two of rest at a time and really jumping all over the horns upper and lower registers.

This helps prepare me for some of the brutal music ministry worship seminars I perform in when we play for as long as four and a half hours non-stop. Building up chops this way makes a four hour lead job with a big band a snap!

The order number for the Aebersold CD is JA 1296D.

Warmest regards,

Tom
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tom,

since you brought up the subject, is the only way to give your chops endurance by practicing for long periods?? also, can you recommend some of the worship accompany cd's you use. something upbeat??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: