• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Does valve oil evaporate?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Does valve oil evaporate? Reply with quote

Been so many threads on valve oil..and this has been indirectly touched on.

I'm using Blue Juice on one of my horns and although I oil pretty much every day, I am sometimes surprised to pull the valve out (Getzen valves BTW)and find it to be almost dry as a bone. I mean..there is maybe the smallest amount of oil residue left but I am alway's surprised to see how little. You would think I had'nt oiled in weeks! Petroleum evaporates?
Might just be Blue Juice as it is so thin. I guess understanding exactly what is chemically contained in valve oil would help me to understand.
ianewhall
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes valve oil evaporates...it's one of the most perplexing things a trumpet player can go through...

There are people who are oil fanatics and can tell you all sorts of stuff...not me. Alls I know is that if it feels slow, oil it. It'slike your car....if it sounds funny, or that little light is on, you are doing damage...oil it.
_FELIX C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Oil evaporates, and Blue Juice Its one of the quikest evaporating one. It have great lubrication, and cleaning effect, but you have to retouch the the valves every 2 days.
Benge 3X+
Benge 3 Flugelhorn
Schilke 14F4
I use my Personal Blend of Valve Oil
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Yeah Getzen valves are so cool that you don't even get the tell-tale sticking that tells you it's time for a touch-up. So I am alway's bummed to pull the valves out and find them so dry. As it's bad to use any valves without oil..I worry I might do some damage.
Well...I will just have to stay on top of it or maybe switch to Al Cass or something.
trptStudent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recnently switched to Zaja. I have the scented oil kind right now (Strawberry ) but I think I'll test out the pro and the blue version later on. I was constantly oiling my valves with Al Cass, but still they would stick. I oiled them with Zaja the day I bought some, and didn't have to oil 'em again for 2 weeks of constant playing/practicing (I practice 1+ hour(s) a day). It's the best stuff I've used, but I'm still going to experiment with other stuff before I decide to pick one brand exclusively, though.
modularwill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Cheeky valve oil plug Reply with quote

Call this being forward but I manufacture Snake Oil here in UK.
It is now being used in most of our major orchestras because it last for ages.
Like Zaja Blue (Which is getting harder to get hold of) it contains teflon which produces ice/ice friction, dry!
If you are in the Chicago area the brass bow will have some in a week or so.

OR take the plunge and order it on line at www.willspencer.org

Will
Yamie Long Model Bb/A picc
Yamie tuning bell D/Eb with Schilke leadpipe & Xeno C bell
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheeky valve oil plug Reply with quote

modularwill wrote:
It is now being used in most of our major orchestras because it last for ages.

Call this being predictable ( ) but it is also being used in Surrey Brass (Will is far too modest to say this) and on all the instruments in the Trumpetmike collection. The Spencer Snake Oil is simply the finest oil I have yet tried (I have posted about this before), it lasts for ages and works fantastically.
AceTrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have come to prefer Holton, for a few reasons. My teacher uses it, and his valves are damn sexy. Also, it's cheaper. Also, unlike when I was using Al Cass, I no longer find black buildup on the valves. Just my take on it.
dcjacobson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil does evaporate, so oil your valvles often. Oil is cheap; trumpets are expensive. BTW, after reading about the PDQ oil from Warburton here on TH, I tried it and I can tell you it is amazing stuff.

Regards,
Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: