• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

choice of horn for comback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billmountain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: choice of horn for comback Reply with quote

Wow..my eyes are bloodshot from reading so many of your posts over the past couple of weeks. I feel as if I've found an oasis in the desert with so many players sharing my attempt to recapture something I held so dear in my younger days but let slip through my fingers. Back in the early 70's I had attained what I believed at the time was the pinnacle when my parents assisted me in the purchase of a King Silver Flair. I sold it many many years ago and now that I'm trying to rekindle the old magic I kind of have my heart set on another. I have the opportunity to buy one that is about 7 years old...I've seen it and can attest to its fine, near new mint condition (bought for a student who quit) but I've also seen many posts here from learned players that suggest a recent Flair is certainly not what it used to be. Keeping in mind: 1- the age of the instrument, about 7 years old. 2 - its fine conditon and 3 - the opportunity to purchase it for $415.00....I guess my question is: Is this horn worth the money for a comebacker or should I direct my search elsewhere?? Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated and carefully considered. Thank you all.
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by B_Starry on Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
_Gene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DITTO to what Brian said!!

Wecome back! And have fun!!!!!!!

Getzen Custom 3051S
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another ditto to Brian. Like you I am nostalgic to the horn that I played on as a teenager--a getzen. But, there are a lot of good horns out there. I've learned a lot from reading the horn forum about some ranges of years being good/bad for some trumpet makers. But I digress...Like you I decided to try a comeback and just went on ebay and took a chance for $120. Got a Bach tr300 and it plays well enough. Then I saw a Yamaha 233oII cornet that I just had to have and it was in new condition for $330. Plays easy sounds beautiful--love it. Still I didn't have that Getzen, though. Just happened to mention one and got an Eterna Severinsen for $475--a little cosmetically challenged to quote from above. Just get a horn and get started. You'll be able to get your "dream horn" sooner or later.

Also, go for the BE book. I'm making progress with it and have been playing only 3 months. Best Regards!
Stan
Bob Fox

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 70's era Silver Flair and sold it to a friend when I quit playing. After 27 years off the horn I decided to come back, and was able to buy the horn back. I was so happy! It is a good horn, but I understand the newer flairs are good student horns at best. My trumpet teacher has a friend who owns a music store and is always getting new horns on consignment. I get to play them during my lessons. I do not like the Bachs as well, but the Yamaha Xeno's slot better than my flair. On the down side, they cost at least $1,600.
GR 65*C
LANSTARR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 1990 silver flair (at least that is what guy seller told me). So your telling me this is a student trumpet? Also is there a way to tell exact age from the serial?
Bob Fox

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should not have been so harsh. My understanding is it is considered an intermediate horn. The King brand has changed hands at least once, maybe more, and I hear the quality is not the same as the first horns. I'm not sure why. The serial number does correspond to the year it was made. You may be able to determine that from King's web sight.
GR 65*C
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I wouldn't go to King's website...those numbers have some errors. Do a Google search for King trumpet serial numbers...you'll get better data that way.

There has been more discussion on this topic...search for King Silver Flair, read the posts, and you'll find out a lot.

I have an older Flair. One of the ones from the "glory days" of the King Flair. I have never played the current horn of the same name. There are some design differences, and the present horn may not be quite as spectacular as the older ones. But, I am of the opinion that the present horn is still a very fine horn for the price.
bdev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'd put $415.00 into a used newer Silver Flair. You can get yourself a nice used Yamaha intermediate horn for 400 bucks. Then again that's my opinion. If you have a chance to play the King and you feel it's right for you, drop the $415 and buy it. King always made a fine horn and the Silver Flair is probably worth the $415 but the quality is not like the older Flairs. That doesn't mean the quality is bad...just not the same quality of the older Silver Flairs.
I bought my son a used King 600 made in 1968 for 100 bucks (ebay)and he uses it in school. The horn plays great and has great valve action. Very open sound. I always liked King horns.
Reynolds Emperor Trumpet (1961)
Bach Strad 37 Trumpet
Holton 25 Cornet / Bach 6
MDT Morrison Trumpet (wind controller)
billmountain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....keep the info flowing, I'm learning a lot. I'm actually kind've disappointed to find out ....well, let me explain.... its going to the 20 year high school reunion and finding out that the dream girl you were so in lust with back in the day turned out to be living in a trailer park with an unemployed KKK member, weighs 240 pounds and has 6 kids. Back when I was a young guy (more years ago then I care to think about) every young player in the school district who was ANY kind of player blew a Silver Flair. A shame to find out some of the shine has worn off. I'll give some serious second thoughts to making that purchase. Thanks....I guess<G>.
Trumpeter58
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Comeback horn Reply with quote

I started my comeback in July '03 on an Olds NA-100ZU "Special". Since then I've moved up to a Blessing ML-1S. I also still have the Holton Collegiate cornet that I started learning on in 1955, which I recently had completely restored. While I know that there is a definite difference in the way each of those horns play, I really think the key to making a satisfactory or "comfortable" comeback lies in finding the right mouthpiece. As I've been told, there are muscles in one's embouchere that worked well many years ago that "aren't coming back" no matter what you do, and that there are muscles you didn't use way back then that are going to take on the job now. I can believe that because when I first picked up my old cornet about 20 months ago, it just wasn't happening with the mouthpiece I used way back when. Then, when she got a little tired of listening to it my wife bought me the Olds which came with an Olds 7C, which seemed that it was going to be OK for a while. Then I started playing around with different cups until finding that a Blessing 10 1/2 C seemed to work a little better. Then, the Blessing horn came with a Blessing 7C mouthpiece which is a little different than the Olds 7C, but feels exactly the same as the new Holton 7C that I got for my cornet while it was being restored. The Olds 7C has a slightly sharper inner rim, which I find I can switch to and play comfortably for an hour or so after tiring lips start losing it on either the Blessing 10 1/2C or 7C. As you mention, there's is definitely an oasis of information to be had and shared here, which contributes to playing trumpet being a continual learning experience.

Blessing ML-1S
Olds Special NA 100ZU
Holton Collegiate cornet (circa 1953)
Olds NF13MRT Flugel
Monette STC1-B4S
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmountain,

Welcome!

I'm surprised I haven't seen this suggestion yet (maybe I missed it) -- go to ebay and search for "King Silver Flair." With a little diligence and a little patience, you should be able to find what you want, both in make and vintage.

I'm all for sentimental horns -- I'm still playing the Stad I used those many years ago, and I bought a Couesnon Lafayette that's a dead ringer for the one on which I learned to play.

Have fun!

Matthew 25:31-46
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Comeback horn Reply with quote

Trumpeter58 wrote:
I really think the key to making a satisfactory or "comfortable" comeback lies in finding the right mouthpiece. As I've been told, there are muscles in one's embouchere that worked well many years ago that "aren't coming back" no matter what you do, and that there are muscles you didn't use way back then that are going to take on the job now. I can believe that

Righto you are Trumpet 58. I've been back only 3 mo. and am trying to get the mp situation squared away.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:
billmountain,

Welcome!

I'm surprised I haven't seen this suggestion yet (maybe I missed it) -- go to ebay and search for "King Silver Flair." With a little diligence and a little patience, you should be able to find what you want, both in make and vintage.

I'm all for sentimental horns -- I'm still playing the Stad I used those many years ago, and I bought a Couesnon Lafayette that's a dead ringer for the one on which I learned to play.

Have fun!

My present King Silver Flair was purchased for that exact reason - a "sentimental" horn. I grew up many, many years ago playing a Silver Flair and some of my best musical memories were made with a Flair. Many years after selling my first Flair - dumb thing to do - I decided I must have another. Fortunately, a Flair from the vintage years came along(Mine dates from about late 1969, based on the serial number). Mine even has an original King case, with the H. N. White Company emblem on the outside and the name "KING" in the case handle. The case is a little bit worn, but it is still in good, solid, clean shape for its age.

I agree that with some diligence and patience you can probably find a Silver Flair from the pre-UMI period.

Last edited by DaveH on Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmountain wrote:
Wow....keep the info flowing, I'm learning a lot. I'm actually kind've disappointed to find out ....well, let me explain.... its going to the 20 year high school reunion and finding out that the dream girl you were so in lust with back in the day turned out to be living in a trailer park with an unemployed KKK member, weighs 240 pounds and has 6 kids. Back when I was a young guy (more years ago then I care to think about) every young player in the school district who was ANY kind of player blew a Silver Flair. A shame to find out some of the shine has worn off. I'll give some serious second thoughts to making that purchase. Thanks....I guess<G>.

Back when I was young, the Silver Flair was the top King trumpet. And, King trumpets were highly regarded instruments. It was definitely a big deal to have a Silver Flair back then.
surfhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using a King 600 that I had bought for my daughter when she was in school. i used it for a beater practice horn that I left out on a stand.

Because it is a student model, there is a lot of resistence for ease of playing (by a beginner). It was not a good thing for me due to the fact that I wasn't building and maintaing my lung power. But great valves.

On another comeback note, a woman who plays in my Monday symphonic rehearsal band, is a comeback player but when she went to the local music store, they sold her a Selmer Claude Gordon L bore trumpet. She was having a heck of a time with it and her sound sucked. So I pulled a mid 60's Bach 180 43 ML out of the locker and pur her on that. What a difference. She is out shopping for a Bach at this moment.

Oh, and that shop sold her the Selmer for $1,700.00 !!!
Olds Super, 1964 w/ C.M. Purviance 5*K4
Marcinkiewicz: E8.4 Shew 1.75
Schilke Flugel; Kanstul Flugel
Kanstul Valve Bone
Surfboard quiver: 15
jadickson83
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play a horn that makes you happy!

Learning the trumpet is mostly psychological anyway, right? Getting a special horn that you love to play makes a huge difference. It just does. It makes you look forward to practicing, stuff like that. Don't compromise, get the horn you want!

Here are some internet resources to look for horns:
www.wwbw.com
www.giardinelli.com
www.ebay.com
www.dillonmusic.com
www.tulsaband.com
www.rayburnmusic.com
www.wmcworld.com

I hope this helps, good luck!
I will graduate in Spring 2006 and will be looking for a job as a band director or assistant band director, probably in North Carolina / Virginia. Any information about openings would really be appreciated! Thank you!
www.geocities.com/JADickson83
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: