• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet players that smoke?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many of you smoke?
yes
11%
 11%  [ 12 ]
no
68%
 68%  [ 71 ]
i used to but i quit
12%
 12%  [ 13 ]
i am mainly a social smoker
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 104

trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richiebee wrote:
Yoder wrote:

Maybe if we had more liberal laws regarding marijuana people would not have to sneak around and do it.

Such a simplistic approach. You really haven't thought about the possible consequences have you?

acutally, one country i believe it may be sweden has no crug laws and the usage there is down VERY low

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb
Schilke c from experimental period with CSO
Blessing Artist Series Flugel

I'll ognore you anyday baby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lara, FYI... Earlier in this thread you mentioned that your started to feel dizzy...

First time pot smokers RARELY get high the first time that they smoke it. Why you ask? I don't exactly know. This I have been told by a friend who counsels drug addicts. So, VERY RARELY do people get a "contact high" from pot. It would have to be a MASSIVE amount way more than what you were smelling to get high. So worry not, you weren't getting woozy from the pot. The smell was probably nauseating more than anything.

Also, if someone tries to beat you up for telling on them then just remember one thing.... They are probably high so open up that can of whoopa$$ on them!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDJ,

The reasoning does not necessarily fit. What happens to a first time smoker does not apply to second hand smoke.

Assuming it did apply, what happens in the majority of cases probably does not apply to someone in the minority.

IMHO, it is never advisable to rely on statistics to make a point as general as this.

BTW, she did mention that she is allergic to smoke. Perhaps that was why?
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i am allergic to smoke and i too get dizzy if i am near ppl smoking pot bc of my allergy...'
thats prolly all Lara

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BrassArranger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoder wrote:

Not all laws are just laws. As a citizen of a democratic state you should question all laws that infringe upon individual rights--the current drug prohibition infringes upon individual rights. .

The law says I'm not allowed to kill anybody ... but surely that infringes my individual rights to do what I want

Brass-Forum.co.uk

Bach Strad Bb ML 43 - Bach 3C
Schilke D/Eb E2 - Gold Plate - Bach 3C
Schilke Picc P5-4 - Silver plate - Bach 3C
Besson & Co Class A Prototype Flugel
Youri le god
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrassArranger wrote:
Richiebee wrote:
the smokey atmosphere is gross... club gigs are gross. The cost is massive. I've helped (in a very tiny way) support a ban of smoking in bars, and it's finally coming to Newfoundland...

Passive smoking as a trumpet player in bar gigs is the worst. Some UK players will have heard of my half-uncle, the one and only Roy Castle. He was a none smoker, but died of lung cancer which was attributed to doing gigs in smokey clubs.

HI Adrian,

Wow, Roy was one of my childhood heroes!!!! I met him by chance in Manchester when I was about 15 and he talked to me for ages about trumpet playing and tap dancing (unfortunately, the tap dancing has fallen by the way side). I really nice guy and great trumpet player.
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetgirl612 wrote:

acutally, one country i believe it may be sweden has no crug laws and the usage there is down VERY low

Yeah, but if you meet Swedish people you will understand that those guys don't need weed! They are wierd enough without it!

But seriously, Sweden has a 100% literacy rate. I would surmise that Sweden's drug use level is more due to the fact that they all know how bad drugs are for you. Unlike a lot of people in the UK and US who believe that weed is not as bad for you as tobacco (when in fact it is worse!) and even that weed can be good for you!

As for smoking, I quit years ago, but most of my friends still smoke, and I hate it. I have lost more than one family member to cancer, and really do not like watching my friends go down the same route.

Mike, if I were you, I would tell the students that the smoking asthmatic trumpet teacher is an idiot, and that they should go elsewhere for lessons. He is setting a terrible example.
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good points clarino.
Also in sweden, they have lower teen pregnancy and STD rates possibly bc they have condoms available free everywhere, and they are accessible to everyone.....

in any case....it could too be b/c they can read

and yes, they are kinbda weird w/o the drugs

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb

Yoder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrassArranger wrote:
Yoder wrote:

Not all laws are just laws. As a citizen of a democratic state you should question all laws that infringe upon individual rights--the current drug prohibition infringes upon individual rights. .

The law says I'm not allowed to kill anybody ... but surely that infringes my individual rights to do what I want

No it does not, because you are violating the individual rights of others. Such an attitude shows a lack of self-responsiblity and a lack of understanding what individual rights are. Your remark is so absurd in the dialog of individual rights that it really doesn't warrant a response--but I gave you one anyway.
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetgirl612 wrote:
good points clarino.
Also in sweden, they have lower teen pregnancy and STD rates possibly bc they have condoms available free everywhere, and they are accessible to everyone.....

in any case....it could too be b/c they can read

and yes, they are kinbda weird w/o the drugs

Education, education, education!

I'm sure I read that somewhere a few years ago. I wonder what happened!

Last edited by Clarino on Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im almost postive he was being sarcastic

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb

Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoder wrote:
BrassArranger wrote:
Yoder wrote:

No it does not, because you are violating the individual rights of others. Such an attitude shows a lack of self-responsiblity and a lack of understanding what individual rights are. Your remark is so absurd in the dialog of individual rights that it really doesn't warrant a response--but I gave you one anyway.

If someone is sitting next to me in a park and starts to smoke, they are infringing on my right to breathe fresh air. Adrian was being ironic to make a point.
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and how true he is

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb

Yoder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverstar wrote:
You, my friend, are a believer in grey areas when it comes to laws...moral relativism I believe is what it's called.

The law is the law. It is black and white. There is good and there is bad.

Since when is smoking pot a right? Just because you choose to do something doesn't make it ok or legal Using your logic, it's my right to kill someone if I want to. It's my right to steal something I want.

Pot is an illegal substance and to smoke it you are breaking the law. Smoking cigarettes in public, though very rude and inconsiderate, is perfectly fine because tobacco is a legal substance and you aren't breaking the law if you smoke it.

Lara

You know nothing of my moral believes and my understanding of the law. It is not a gray area as you erroneously say.

Laws are made to fit the will of the people. If you have a sick society, then you get sick laws. A ban on Pot smoking does deny the individual the right to choose what he or she chooses to do in the pursuit of happiness. It does not inflict harm or deny the individual rights of anyone else or upon the state. There is no logical reason for the banning of pot. Except a bunch of old prudes who are consiously constipated think that pot smoking will lead to the moral decay of our country, or the real ignornant ones who say pot is a gateway drug (sorry: sugar and caffeine beat pot to it.)

You go on playing the good little girl of society, and assume your role of surrogate mother as assumed in your signature. Maybe you will grow up to be a modern day June Cleaver!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarino wrote:
Yoder wrote:
BrassArranger wrote:
Yoder wrote:

If someone is sitting next to me in a park and starts to smoke, they are infringing on my right to breathe fresh air. Adrian was being ironic to make a point.

The reason we have laws is to define what the rights are and how they are protected.

You cannot simply choose to say I don't believe this hurts anyone so I will ignore this law, since anyone else can claim the same about any law they choose.

It is very clear from the point that started all of this, Lara's going into the room full of pot smoke, that the smokers in that bathroom were infringing on her rights.

The right to expect others in the society to obey and uphold the law, the right to not be nauseous due to the smoke, the right to not live a life in fear of being beat up.

I really don't care if you smoke pot or not. I don't care if you get the laws changed. Just don't keep handing out that tired old line that it doesn't hurt anyone so I choose to ignore the law.
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoder wrote:
There is no logical reason for the banning of pot. Except a bunch of old prudes who are consiously constipated think that pot smoking will lead to the moral decay of our country, or the real ignornant ones who say pot is a gateway drug (sorry: sugar and caffeine beat pot to it.)

How abou the fact that smoking weed is bad for you? Seems like a pretty good reason to me. It is extremely detrimental to your health. Also a lot of young people try smoking weed becausethey want to do something that might get them into trouble if they get caught. Yes folks young people arethat dumb! I know I was when I was young. If weed was made legal, they would be more inclined to try something harder.

Last edited by Clarino on Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most kids i know are already using harder durgs
most kids in my hs are beyond weed to the point that they hardly touch the stuff anymore
honestly, especially the older ones <jrs and srs>

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb

LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoder wrote:
silverstar wrote:
You, my friend, are a believer in grey areas when it comes to laws...moral relativism I believe is what it's called.

The law is the law. It is black and white. There is good and there is bad.

Since when is smoking pot a right? Just because you choose to do something doesn't make it ok or legal Using your logic, it's my right to kill someone if I want to. It's my right to steal something I want.

Pot is an illegal substance and to smoke it you are breaking the law. Smoking cigarettes in public, though very rude and inconsiderate, is perfectly fine because tobacco is a legal substance and you aren't breaking the law if you smoke it.

Lara

You know nothing of my moral believes and my understanding of the law. It is not a gray area as you erroneously say.

Laws are made to fit the will of the people. If you have a sick society, then you get sick laws. A ban on Pot smoking does deny the individual the right to choose what he or she chooses to do in the pursuit of happiness. It does not inflict harm or deny the individual rights of anyone else or upon the state. There is no logical reason for the banning of pot. Except a bunch of old prudes who are consiously constipated think that pot smoking will lead to the moral decay of our country, or the real ignornant ones who say pot is a gateway drug (sorry: sugar and caffeine beat pot to it.)

You go on playing the good little girl of society, and assume your role of surrogate mother as assumed in your signature. Maybe you will grow up to be a modern day June Cleaver!

Possibly you do get sick laws from a sick society, however sick societies are caused by sick people choosing to ignore the laws of the land. It starts small and gets bigger.

This "I don't like the rules so I'm not going to play" is a little rediculous.
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. but then most laws and lawmakers are somewhat rediculous

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb

trptStudent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oook...

This thread went from survey to political, but I guess that's not too be expected when we can turn the Ignorers' thread into an "I can make innuedoes"-a-thon.

First and foremost, people obey laws due to both psychological and sociological factors. To maintain one over the other is to maintain that the width contributes more to the area than the length in a rectangle. (Think about that one because when I heard it, it was quite a profound statement.) For people to obey laws people not only have to developed internalized models of control but society has to impose formal and informal methods of control in terms of socialization and education.

Good example that education and socialization does work is the rise in the rate of sexually active teens (no, this is not an attempt to sexafy the post; an attempt would be much more blantant ). Though this rate (for teens under 20, I think; if someone actually wants the reference to the stats I'll look them up) has risen, the rate of teen pregnancy has fallen. This is due to not only a wider availability of contraceptives but of better health education in that respect as well.

In Toronto and Ottawa (and probably other places, but these are the only two I know off the top of my head), it is illegal to smoke in bars and pool halls. (Great news for me since I'm an avid pool player.) The city has taken action against second hand smoke and have sent the smokers outside.

As long as people have problems that stem from both society and psychological circumstances, they will look for an outlet. Some will choose healthy outlets but not all. If we were to educate people more on how to better deal with stress and pressure from their surroundings, I believe rates of smoking would go down. I'm speaking about those who are execessive users here and not just the occassional ones.

I don't think personal use of marijuana should be banned, but I don't have all the facts in front of me. I don't know everything there is to know about the subject. If I did I'd be in a much better position to make a decision. All I know is that I have never and will never smoke marijuana and use of it is banned in the Canadian Armed Forces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: