• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

diagonal pivot??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are pivots always vertical. I have watched myself when I play and the mouthpiece moves upward and to the left as I ascend. Above high C the horn points far off to the left. Are these issues dealt with in the pivot books or are they issues at all?

J. Freedman
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-14 21:39, Jerry Freedman wrote:
Are pivots always vertical. I have watched myself when I play and the mouthpiece moves upward and to the left as I ascend. Above high C the horn points far off to the left. Are these issues dealt with in the pivot books or are they issues at all?

J. Freedman

Generally speaking, we all have what Doc called the angle of your pivot (in other words, I believe we all have a "diagonal" pivot). Sounds to me like you're probably a Type IIIA, however, the direction that your horn points has me confused. The pivot really isn't about which way the horn points, but which way the mouthpiece and lips move (as one unit) along the track of the inner embouchure.

Maybe it would be a good idea for you to get the Encyclopedia of the Pivot System if you're interested in finding out more and reading it (from cover to cover) and see if some of your misconceptions are cleared up with that. After that, you may be able to get more specific answers.

Now, we're definitely not here to sell Doc's book(s), because he's not making any money off them anymore, and it doesn't benefit any of us former Reinhardt students monetarily. It will, however, help us to all use the same terminology so that we can better understand what we're talking about or asking.

The word "pivot" is so frequently misused that many people think that it's exactly the opposite of what Doc called a "pivot."

Jerry, if one of us could watch you play, we could probably help you, but without the benefit of seeing what you're doing I'm pretty much at a loss here.

Did any of that help?

Rich
hairy james

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-09-15 02:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-10-02 13:31 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: