• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Non-trumpet trumpet comeback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbchriste

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Non-trumpet trumpet comeback Reply with quote

Greetings all. In 1969 I entered 7th grade and signed up for band because I needed an elective and the only other one left was home economics. My parents were adamantly opposed and refused to support this endeavor so I traded a beloved guitar for the worst-looking piece of pawn shop crap trumpet you've ever seen. The thing was dark brown with age and all the cross braces were broke. I literally held it together by taking the tuning slide out and slipping a rubber band over the lead pipe and bell tube to keep the thing from folding open like a book!

What a surprise that I never really did develop any skill on the trumpet. But one day I was just fooling around and I picked up one of the school's euphoniums and found I could play it pretty well. At that point I switched instruments and went into a very advanced high school band program, winning the first chair euphonium seat which I held for 4 years. During this time my band director asked me about my future plans and I expressed a desire to be able to play in an orchestra some day. Note to self - don't ever do that again! The next day I was playing French Horn. Now I found myself switching between euphonium in the marching season and french horn in the concert season. Needless to say I never got very good at French Horn either - although I could still kick butt on the low brass.

I entered college in 1975 playing french horn in the Florida State Marching Chiefs but life's circumstances took me away from college after a couple of years. Except for a brief stint as a horn player in a small community band back in 1991, I haven't touched a horn since except when some kid at our local high school lets me grab his horn and try to get a sound out of it.

Well, I'm now 48 years old, got all my kids graduated and/or grown, just finished my master's degree in software engineering, and am dying to play again. I've decided that I want to try to go back to my first "love" and give the trumpet another chance.

I have been prowling ebay for the last few days and have my eyes fixed on a two or three Bach Strad 37's in the $800-900 range. I'm hoping to be able to snag one of those. In new horns in the same price range (about my top limit), I've been also looking at the Yamaha 4335 or Getzen 700S, both of which I can get in that range either from overseas or through agressive U.S. discounters.

I don't want to make this a quest for the Holy Grail but having played on a number of different instruments of varying quality in those early years I appreciate the difference decent equipment can make and I want to make an investment that is a good musical choice but won't put me into bankruptcy.

Any thoughts?

I have already identified a teacher and once I have a horn in hand will definitly start out right with an experienced coach to keep me from heading down the wrong path and picking up bad habits that would just have to be unlearned later.

I just found this forum today and I've really enjoyed reading the posts. I look forward to some lively and informative discussion.

I'll let you all know how it goes!
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Gary! You'll get a lot of great ideas and help from the fine folks on this forum. I started back on a bach tr300 from ebay for $120. I've since sold it and moved up. FWIW, my recommendation would be to go for a good used horn first and then move on to something else after you gain more knowledge. I realize that there is a school of thought to start off with a new horn or a good used pro horn. It's somewhat of a judgment call. I bought a used pro horn the 2nd time but am selling it soon because it's a large bore and too much for me. Don't get hung up on equipment so much in the beginning. Just my 2 cents.

Stan
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan's advice is excellent. If you pursue one of those Strads look for one made in Elkhart in the 70s. Many players feel they're as well made as the legendary Mt. Vernons for a lot less money.

Another, much cheaper alternative, is to pick up a good condition Olds Ambassador. They abound on eBay for $100 or so. Might have to spend $50 having it cleaned up, but they're solid, good sounding horns that will carry you through the first couple years of comebackdom without letting you down.

One other suggestion: join a band right away. You'll progress faster and have a lot of fun as well.

Good luck!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
woo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Holton T101 that I might be willing to part with. It plays as good as any nice Bach Strad. To me it plays better than the 70's Strad I use to have. Email me if you are interested. Either way, I would definitely go with one of these if you want a Bach Strad 37 for much less. Much better than the student Bachs IMHO.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I entered college in 1975 playing french horn in the Florida State Marching Chiefs but life's circumstances took me away from college after a couple of years

Great story, Gary, and though we've never met I owe you one!

Fall of 1976 I was sitting in the Florida State ROTC building sweating the Air Force's Officer Qualifying test. This would determine whether or not I got a scholarship! I was nervous and not doing well on the first couple questions... until I heard the Chiefs warming up on their adjacent practice field. As those wonderful tunes came wafting through the open windows, I smiled, relaxed and nailed that exam.

One of my regrets is that I didn't continue playing trumpet in college -- especially with the Marching Chiefs -- but I was afraid of the time committment and how it would affect my studies.

Good to hear from a fellow '70s Nole and good luck on your comeback!
dcstep
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Noles!

I think you're on the right track. You can't go too far wrong with a Bach 37. If you stick with it you may move to something else in a few years, but it'll serve you well for a while.

Are you in the SouthEast or some other part of the country? No matter where, I'd suggest a good private teacher.

Good luck,

Dave (FSU class of '69)
Bach 229 C, with Blackburn leadpipe, Tanabe mods
Lawler TL cornet with Sparx mpc
TptPlayer88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also play the Euphonium and I was first chair all-state(i had to add that). I love the Euphonium and i think you should go with that!!!! But if the trumpet go for a early Elkhart Strad., some guy before said in an earlier post that they were made from old Mt. Vernon parts, and most are I've found out. Also if you can get a Yamaha Xeno for under $1000 go for it!!!! I got mine for an incredible deal and it was only six months old so...Good luck on the horn search!!!
Mouthpiece: 3C
TptPlayer88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also play the Euphonium and I was first chair all-state(i had to add that). I love the Euphonium and i think you should go with that!!!! But if the trumpet go for a early Elkhart Strad., some guy before said in an earlier post that they were made from old Mt. Vernon parts, and most are I've found out. Also if you can get a Yamaha Xeno for under $1000 go for it!!!! I got mine for an incredible deal and it was only six months old so...Good luck on the horn search!!!
TptPlayer88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbchriste

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest son went to Southern Miss on a euphonium scholarship. I laid down $5K for a brand new Willson that he played for one year, changed his major to speech communications, then sold the horn for rent money. Otherwise I'd probably be playing that!

I definitley want to go with trumpet though as it will give me more playing opportunity. The only "band" we have around here for adult/post high school players is a private organization called the "Christian Symphonic Band and Strings". I have no problem with the "Christian" part as I am one myself but the group is rather amateurish and the untrained founder/conducter insists doing literature that is way beyond this group's capability. She also includes a rather small and weak string section that gives the band an awfully strange sound. No other nearby community or college groups. So my main target is to be able to perform as part of the combo that plays in our church services. We are a blended/contemporary worship style congregation with a really good rhythm section, keyboards, acoustic/electric/bass guitars, vocalists, etc. I'd like to spice it up a little bit with some brass and I think trumpet is the way to go.

On the horn search, looks like the Strads I've been watching are probably going to slip away from me. One went yesterday for $910 and my latest bid on another was just exceeded up to $880. $850 is about as much as I'm going to be able to get away with on this boondoggle without earning the ire of the Mrs. Got two more prospects on ebay but if the current trend continues I don't expect to win on either of those and will have to set my sites a little lower.

The Yamaha in question was not a Xeno (if only!), but their intermediate YTR 4335 model. I've also read some decent reviews on the Getzen 700S and can get one new for as little as $650. Anyone have any comments on either of those?
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say to be patient with the Bach horns on ebay. You'll be able to get one in your price range. They might not be in Mint shape but you can always fix one up afterward. I personally would look to get a Strad or pro Xeno if possible if that's what you're holding out for.

Best,

T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
dcstep
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other very good options are 700-series Yamahas ($500- $700) and lightly used Getzens and Kanstuls ($600 to $900 depending).

A year or two you'll be wanting something new and specific, so I wouldn't get too hung up on a specific brand right now, just get a good pro horn in a medium-large bore. Bachs are fine, but not particularly special in this price range. Later, if you're still serious about Bach and get to know the right people, you can probably buy a very fine Bach for $1200 to $1500. However, at this stage of your development that'd be a crap shoot. Just get a fine, functional, good looking trumpet and a middle of the road mpc (since your a low brass guy, that'd be a Bach 3C to 1.5C).

Happy hunting,

Dave
Bach 229 C, with Blackburn leadpipe, Tanabe mods
Lawler TL cornet with Sparx mpc
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody named "Woo" posted above that he has a Holton T101 for sale. Those are supposed to be replicas of Mount Vernon Bachs. When Vincent Bach started designing his own horns he had them manufactured in the Holton plant before he had his own factory. So the Holton folks are supposed to have duplicated the original Bachs very closely with the T101 from the data records they had about Bach specifications. At least this is what I was told by one of their factory representatives a couple of years ago. So investigating how much he wants for the Holton may be worth your efforts. In any event with a little patience you should be able to obtain a fine trumpet in your price range. Welcome back to the trumpet playing world. I second the recommendation to find a good teacher as soon as possible.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
Mr. Semman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

First, let me congratulate you on your comeback. As you probably have noticed, there is a plethora of advice on the TH. Regardless of how good that advice may be, you will still be the person purchasing the horn. The Getzen 700S you mentioned is a fine horn to start your playing. The price is right, and you get a new instrument, which, if things go south, you will be able to recoup your investment.

Good luck,

Gary
Bach 5C
Bach 3C
BAA Bugler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: