• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reinhardt drills and concepts that have really helped me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I know about Reinhardt I got initially from "Hairy James" (Chris) and from reading Reinhardts' books, articles, and lesson notes.. A little background. I was playing by age 5 (reading music too) by age 12 I was quite good by age 35 I was shot. Studied with Stevens, Isador Blank, Ray Crisara, and Carmine of those you might have heard of. My mentor was Kenny Dorham who I had lessons with too on a continual basis. By the time I was in my 20's I was working steadily sometimes 6 nights a week with an afternoon or two thrown in here and there. Sore swollen chops, head aches, body pains, these were all the things I associated with playing. Alchohol and drugs helped to ease the pain. Well one night the pain became so intense in my top lip that no sound would come out and I was literally afraid to put the horn back on my face for fear of splitting my top lip. I was in my mid or late 30's. Tried changing my chops (higher placement) on my own then too long with a bad teacher (Stevens) trying to fix my battered chops and lots of frustration. I must have tried every spot on my face (and some off of) over a period of a few years...............total frustration I only mention all of this to set up what I have to say. I am 55 now. .
It seems to me now in retrospect that the things I went through were due to starting way too young and developing a totally wrong concept of the physical sensations involved in correct trumpet playing very early on. Dry set, twisting, pressing, using my considerable physical strength (I was a big strong kid) instead of compression, air, and touch. When things started to unravel I probably would have avoided a lot of frustration and wasted time had I went back to Carmine but I felt then and still do today that to a degree his approach was in a way at least partly the cause of my problems. Ces la vie. I think because my physical playing sensations were so wrong that regardless of what approach I took then they would have been futile. One thing I did start to glimpse form my time with Roy Stevens however was that playing could be physically easier...although trying to play on his upstream set was only torture for me a true iiiB type.
Ok the things about Reinhardt that have really helped me. first and foremost, the concept of "4 legs" for the downstream player 3 for up streamers. Thinking about a firm 4-legged set helps me immeasureably, it also seems to encourage or actually leads me into a more centered placement. Let me explain. My learned set is lop sided, my left corners are firm but my right side corners are always want to be loose. Thinking about establishing a good "4 legs set" I then tend to firm both sides equally and my lips can then come together corner to corner which increases my compression. To follow this through, when I do get this good 4 legged set feel and just the right amount of air I find that by using just the right amount of pivot I can do climbs to notes never before in my range. Practicing the Pivot Stabilizer, Track Routine, Putty Ball Routine, and using the A+D Ointment also does wonders to bring back the correct playing sensations. The tongue Placement and Breath Focus drills 1 - 14 also tend to bring me around when things seem to be disintegrated. (the feel) My point is this, it seems that thinking about and employing these various drills and concepts actually initiates change in my set. So in effect while Reinhardt may be, as has been stated here many times, finding the best way to play the way one plays, I do think it also is a very subtle approach to initiating actual physical change. Any thoughts?
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: walter on 2002-09-20 10:47 ]
hairy james

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Paul and Walter, What can I say, absolutely excellent posts! Even though I am not the moderator of this forum I have very strong feelings about keeping Doc's teaching's alive. I check here every day to see whats happening, and sometimes it looks as if no one is interested. So I personally would like to thank you bolth for two great posts. This is what we need more of, a real give and take about DOC"S teaching's. Not pedal pushers or people who THINK they know what pivoting really is! Thanks again and keep 'em coming. Chris
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm interested. i just don't know much about it. i'm going to meet with rich in a week and maybe that will shed more light on the subject. of course, as big as rich is, it might not get any light at all .

i tried to type myself and foundout that i was in error. but i'm definitely interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: