• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Handel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are playing Music for the Royal Fireworks by Handel in our Youth Symphony in Savannah, GA. I'm principal but my range isn't that well developed, and nobody else in the section has much, if anything, above high C. Thats a problem in this piece cause its around concert A the whole time and goes up to Concert D fairly often...and it does all this without that many rests. Are there any tips for playing stuff like this that is at the top of my range for long periods of time?

Stuart
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all you need to have the notes in your range in order to play them comfortably. However you can work on the piece while still developing the range.

Start by playing the piece down 1 octave so that the rhythm and flows become automatic. Then as your range increases you can play the piece as it is written in a musical style.

Also listen to the piece played well so that you have a concept of the sound that you want to achieve.

[ This Message was edited by: pedaltonekid on 2002-09-15 14:04 ]
Webbsta78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, which trumpet are you using? Bb?
Most people I know would play that particular piece on a Piccolo trumpet in A, or on a D or C trumpet(in order of preference). You may be limited in you're choice of horns though. Maybe you have a real nice college friend who will loan you a smaller horn?

Jason
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkNiehaus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That piece is usually played on a piccolo trumpet in A. (Putting you in F) Find a piccolo mouthpiece that is good for you. Try several and use finesse not force.

It is not unusual for the first player to use an assistant. The overture is almost constant playing and it is nice to switch off with someone else. Also, Handel originally intended for all the parts to be tripled. The trumpets need not play all the repeats in the dance movements where the 1st tpt, 1st horn, 1st oboe, and 1st vln, all have the same music. Ask your conductor about it.

good luck

-mark niehaus
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive handed off some of the stuff in the overture to the second chair...it made her day:) Im playing on a C (which i bought last year and have had to repeatedly justify since we hardly play stuff in C or D or anything in orchestra and never in band). I dont ahve a D or a Picc, but the associate conductor is gonna ask our music store really nice-like if i can borrow. Im also gonna ask my teacher today.

I have the notes in my range, usually...theyre right at the top (except for the D), its mostly the endurance thing...it sounds really nice though!

thnx for the tips

Stuart
RockyM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuart,

I wish you the very best on this...it ain't an easy piece, especially on a C.

In all honesty, I have to wonder why your conductor would choose a piece with such a difficult trumpet part. It's one thing to stretch a person, but is this too much of a stretch??? I say this not to slam you in any way or question your abilities, but I wouldn't want to play it on a C...and I'm a pretty good player with lots of experience!

This piece IS usually played on piccolo...I've never heard/seen the first part played on anything else. Professionals all have one (or more), younger guys typically don't. So, through no fault of your own, it's really making your life a lot tougher than it needs to be.

It's the conductor's responsibility to know the instruments required for a given work as well as the difficulty involved and choose the music accordingly.

I would absolutely have two on the first part, and maybe the second too, just to keep the chops fresh. Playing most things in rehearsal is far different than a concert, particularly when it's at the edge of your range, endourance, or whatever.

This type of piece shouldn't be programmed when special horns (piccolos) are needed, and your conductor should be made aware of this. A picc isn't a horn you just start playing well...it takes a little time to get used to them.

Again, please don't take this personally, as I'm on your side and speak from experience...when I was in H.S., Maynard Ferguson was in his prime, and as the lead player in our jazz band, was given some M.F. charts I probably shouldn't have been given. They usually went well (not always), and I guess the experience was fine, but I often felt like I was being set up to fail because my director wanted to play Maynard on a concert...lotsa pressure

At any rate, just my opinion. While they should be aware, your conductor may not know these things, and may appreciate you letting them know for future selections.

Anyway, here's wishing you the very best, and let us know how it turns out!
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no way to get a picc. So I'll play it on a C...My director thinks i oughta play it on Bb to blend better, but i think im gonna stick to the C Thanks for all the advice:)
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no way to get a picc. So I'll play it on a C...My director thinks i oughta play it on Bb to blend better, but i think im gonna stick to the C Thanks for all the advice:)
Webbsta78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, and yeah stick with the C. And as far as justifying the C tpt, Most Pro orchestra trumpeters use C's most of the time!

Jason
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: