• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hindemith Sonata for Trumpet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
impaulm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Hindemith Sonata for Trumpet? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a really great recording of the Hindemith sonata for trumpet?

Last edited by impaulm on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Charlie Schleuter's. It's great. Huge sound, excellent interpretation.
1B
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes for Tom Stevens' recording on Crystal. That CD is not easy to find but is really worth hunting down. I hope that in his retirement perhaps there might be more solo recordings from Mr. Stevens to look forward to.

John Urness
thaxterj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. I have heard many recordings, and the Stevens recording is the best, IMHO.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-06 09:22, johntpt wrote:
My vote goes for Tom Stevens' recording on Crystal. That CD is not easy to find but is really worth hunting down.
John Urness

Actually the Stevens' recording of the Hindemith is as easy to find as a couple clicks. Go to
http://www.crystalrecords.com
You can buy it online and even sample each of the movements.
Larry Smithee
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to hear Charlie Schluter's recording, but another good one to add to the list is Raymond Mase's recording on Summit records. It is on the 2CD set of "Paul Hindemtih - Complete Brass Works". The set has other works on there as well, such as the trombone and horn sonatas and other brass pieces.
pbtrpt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Stevens gets my vote. Perfect piece for his style and playing. Also, if you can find it, Mark Gould did it on a private CD for Yamaha and it's also an outstanding performance.
pbtrpt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Stevens gets my vote. Perfect piece for his style and playing. Also, if you can find it, Mark Gould did it on a private CD for Yamaha and it's also an outstanding performance.
gb1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also really like Rheinhold Friedrich's recording on his "Modern Trumpet" CD (Capriccio Records).
That's a great CD in general, by the way.
If you don't know about this guy, he's really worth checking out!

Ray Mase has a really nice rendition on Summit Records also.
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the longest time, I really thought Hakan Hardenberger's was my favorite. Then I heard Reinhold Freidrich's version. His playing was so powerful.

No one mentioned Tony Plog's version. I really like the sound and power he gets also.

For me, it's pretty much a tie between Freidrich, Plog and Stevens. They each play differently, but each is done extremely well.
I guess it's one of those pieces which you really can't own too many versions of.

Kurt Z
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hakan Hardenberger has an excellent recorded version of the Hindemith. It's on the CD Mysteries of the Macabre. It's not very recent, 1989, but still a good source for interpretation of this seminal work. Alot of other good things on this disc as well.
jotrpt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the mentioned recordings from
the US scene except for Marsalis', but the one by R. Friedrich is certainly very good.
Another very convincing interpretaion in my
opinion is by Richard Steuart (who joined
some leading German orchestras as principal and also German Brass for some time).
He plays it on a Monke rotary B trumpet, which is one of the favourite instruments used in German orchestras and that stands much in the tradition of the sound of the brass sections in those. Hence it's also quite probable that Hindemith was thinking of the sound of such a rotary trumpet when he composed the work... So it's certainly worth to hear this recording but I don't know whether it's available in the US.

Btw, there's also a M. Andre recording (on LP) from early times, which however, as far as I know, has never reappeared on CD.
I don't remember the interpretation in detail, but Andre's modern trumpet literature interpretations are presumably somewhat "plain" compared to others...

Ciao, jotrpt
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard 4 recordings of the Hindemith, one by Marsalis which is good, one by Edward Tarr which is great, one by Hakan Hardenberger which is fantastic.
The 4th one I heard is by the legendary Canadian pianist Glenn Gould, he uses Gilbert Johnson on trumpet. It is a brilliantly musical performance, although the trumpet playing is somewhat lacking - it does show that you need a MONSTER piano player to really pull it off. Gould uses a really effective trick at the end in the `all men must die' chorale. The trumpet plays at a quiet dynamic throughout (ignoring the written crescendo) while the piano does a huge crescendo, this makes the chorale seem like a distant afterthought while the thumping piano part sounds like it is being pounded by the hand of God - fantastic playing. The Gould recording is on Sony Classical, titled complete hindemith brass sonatas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
budfan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Tom Stevens here!
njp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the brand new cd of all the Hindemith brass sonatas. It features former Manhattan School of Music and Indiana Univeristy trumpet professor Stephen Burns!!!
_latin_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Vosburgh (spelling?) recorded the Hindemith. I think the name of the record is Trumpet Masterworks or something like that. I'll double check and let you know.

"There is no substitute for practice".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: