• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLE HILL

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-21 02:28, bugleboy wrote:... I thought I had remembered correctly that the person posting under the screen name "pair of kings" (clever name) was a lady.

Thanks.
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The removal of John Mohan really comes as no surprise to me. He's been a real troublemaker ever since he got a modem. Always talkin' loud. Saying what he thought. Giving his opinions. They wanted to boot John from the internet long ago. That's right. "They".
You do not own or have any rights on the internet. The internet is not the USA and it's not your backyard. The only right you have is to go elsewhere.
Because I was a student of Claude, I've often been labeled one of "Mohan's minions". This label, which is demeaning and silly, really doesn't matter to me, but I feel a sadness for John, not so much because we studied with the same teacher, but because we share the same proffesion.
I can say what I want about John without even knowing him. He will not be offended. We are both pro players.
John Mohan is fanatical.
He is fanatical about the teachings of Claude to a point of overexuberance. He is also totally fanatical about trumpet playing in general. And this is what gets him in trouble.
Being a proffesional musician, I can tell you that many musicians are afflicted with the same disease or desire. I wake up and practice before eating or anything. I practice and play and write all day, every day. That's it. Many do not share my enthusiem and I am often resented because of it.
I know so many pros in the Bay Area that when the show ends do nothing, they just wait for the next show. John tells us that during his hiatus he's gonna try to get better at single tonguing by practicing Clarke Study 4 with a metronome.
I'll miss those little references. Of course John is still a member, but I feel sorry for myself and others here.
A recent thread was directed towards why more pro players don't contribute here. A pro player is no longer a pro player when he's not playing. If I play Jon Faddis in a game of pool, I'm his equal. When we play trumpets, I am not.
I will not really engage in "conversation" in trumpet forums unless people want my info.
For example, I've enjoyed responding to the very grateful folks in the jazz forum on TH.
I feel that I have been misunderstood in the past regarding the SuperChops method. I never meant any insults and I'm sorry if I hurt anyones feelings. I really have no idea what SC is, but I am interested.
Although this is unrelated, I am on my third lesson in Caruso. I'm taking a little more time, which I think is OK. I like the exercises.
I'm sure Charley will read this, so I'm just gonna go on.
I play all day, every day. I'm now doing the 6 notes, seconds and thirds. Questions:
I find myself doing breath attacks on the seconds but it doesn't say to. I seem to just fall into this.
Same on thirds. On thirds it doesn't say go as high as you can so I stop on D-F-D-
These exercises at first made my chops tired, but now I feel like I've been playing all day which is different.
Improving on trumpet is a constant thing for me, so I will point out that I'm more comfortable with the horn on my face for a longer period since I've been practicing Caruso. This may or may not be result of practicing Caruso and I could really care less.
This is the attitude Charley taught me. Don't look for results. Just do the exercises and live on.
Nevertheless, I am ready to play the circus again!

Eb

Hear our new CD at:
www.bolvinmusic.com

[ This Message was edited by: EBjazz on 2002-09-21 05:40 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Caruso forum.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

"If I had been contacted by the adminstrator on Saturday with a message asking me to either step down as moderator or remove or apologise for my recent posts, I would have without hesitation chosen to step down, and I would have been fine with that."

I think it is important to remember the above as John's understanding and perspective on the whole affair.

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-19 20:59, bugleboy wrote:
This is what the REACTION to this whole affair between the SA and John Mohan has become.
Is it clear to everyone that the only difference between being a moderator and just a member, is that the moderator has his name on the marquee and can edit posts in the dedicated forum? That's it folks.

Hi
It's not quite clear to me. If the moderator and a normal member have the same rights to post, then why is John Mohan removed from being a moderator? If he can post what he wants as a normal member (btw I support the right of anyone to post an opinion - even the folk who "put me in my place" from time to time), then why can't he post the same thing as a moderator?
That is, if as you say (and I have no reason to doubt you - you are a long standing moderator) the only difference is having his name on the marquee and the ability to edit posts in the dedicated forum.
yours
Brian Jones
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJ: If the moderator and a normal member have the same rights to post, then why is John Mohan removed from being a moderator?

CR: Why are you asking me. I didn't remove him.
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-21 13:35, bugleboy wrote:

BJ: If the moderator and a normal member have the same rights to post, then why is John Mohan removed from being a moderator?

CR: Why are you asking me. I didn't remove him.

hi
I was asking you why JM was removed as you (not the SA) stated that the rights of a member and moderator to post were the same. I don't know if the SA has ever said such a thing but recent events suggest to me that your statement is different to the postion of the SA.
As a member John Mohan can post what he likes. As a moderator those same posts, or more restrained ones, get him removed as moderator.
It seems to me that there is a difference in the positions of the statement you made and the actuality. Certainly there seems to be a conflict with the position as you laid it out and the actions of the SA who removed JM.
You said:
i.e. "Is it clear to everyone that the only difference between being a moderator and just a member, is that the moderator has his name on the marquee and can edit posts in the dedicated forum? That's it folks"
The fact that the SA removed JM is entirely within his rights, no arguement here, he can do what he likes - it just doesn't sit with what you stated (the rights being the same) - that's all.
yours
Brian Jones
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bj: I was asking you why JM was removed as you (not the SA) stated that the rights of a member and moderator to post were the same.

CR: OK. I see what you're asking about. Yes there is a difference. The privilege of posting is no different, which is what I was pointing out; but the decorum of a moderator must be at a higher level than the general membership. Members may choose to make ill tempered, bad mannered, mean spirited statements about another player or method. This type of behavior is considered improper for a moderator, since he is a representative of the forum as a whole.

When I was appointed to be the moderator of the Caruso forum the only stipulation by the SA was, "My only request from you is that you act professionally at all times,"

Now don't get the impression from that that anyone is getting paid for any of this! All topics are open equally to moderators and the general membership, but the moderators must behave professionally and, within reason, the general membership doesn't have to.

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-09-21 15:19 ]
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charley
Great. Now I understand. btw. judging by the posts by bachboy2 I think that you can lose the word generally as regards professional behaviour regarding members.
The membership don't have to behave in any manner that may be called professional judging by this chaps posts.
yours
Brian Jones
PS. I notice that he has drawn less complaints from complainers than John Mohan. Somewhat surprising given the tone of his posts.
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thought I'd clarify: the PC in my case stands for Pierre Cerasi, my initials.

About the topic discussed here: when writing posts, you had better been extra careful and re-read and edit, as you can easily be misunderstood/misconstrued on this medium, especially since this is an international forum.

Yes, basic decency is required, and yes, everyone should be able to express his/her opinion freely and no, even if you feel attacked by the contents of a post, the beauty of having to write to post is that you can calmly argument your way or just ignore the flames, so you don't need to be dragged into spiralling attack matches.

So, my feeling is that the SA should be able to intervene and decide about what goes on here, but (and TH already apologised for this, so the subject is in effect closed) the way it was done was certain to cause resentment (as I understand from JM's posting).

Actually, I think that Lee's attitude has always been the best in the SC vs. Others arguments: pleasant and polite answers referring you to the available SC materials. I interpret this as to imply: regardless of what is being said anywhere about SC, get informed by studying the facts, then if you don't like the method don't use it, but chances are that you may change your preconceived opinions before that.

By the way, my take on it is - judge by the results: get hold of someone having used method X, hear him and decide if you like the results. If you do, try the method - it might or might not work for you.

My impression is that neither SC nor CG are quick fix methods and both acknowledge that. I am sure that both work on some so there is no need to bash either one.

Pierre

[ This Message was edited by: PC on 2002-09-26 02:30 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: