• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Arban's lesson plan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: Arban's lesson plan Reply with quote

Last edited by B_Starry on Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've several, but usually make one up for the student based upon the sequences I've got and the student's level. Where to start really depends upon the level of the student. Generally, my idea is to pick a bit from each major section (e.g., scales, articulation, phrasing, etc.) and assign a page or two, or just a few lines (since the student likely has other stuff to work on and has somewhat less than infinite practice time), spanning his/her abilities. That is, if the student is starting out but has a few weeks on the horn, I may assign a C major scale study just straight plus one with a rhythmic figure, then perhaps one or two others, plus say the E major scale (in quarter notes) and/or a minor scale to get some fingering work in. For rhythm, maybe a simple figure s/he can readily do plus some with a bit trickier figures to work on. Same with intervals, an easy one or two well within the student's abilities, plus another one or two to help push him along.

While I've had a few pages assigned to myself (by Jim Donaldson -- great guy, great teacher) I've recently been revisiting Arban's and finding out just what a wealth of stuff is in their, and just how durn much of it is way beyond me yet. (Darn Characteristics Studies, anyway! )

HTH - Don
CBTrpt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check out Michael Sachs' Daily Fundamentals for Trumpet. It's Clarke and Arban with great commentary, variations for working out difficulties and different applications, as well as detailed advice on how to put together a routine using these and other materials. A great book for use with a young student as well as to accompany a professional through his or her career.
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by B_Starry on Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the basic idea is to break it up into different sections. Like you can do a little bit of long tones from the beggining then some lip slurs followed by scales and multiple tounguing and ending with a sight reading song or by playing a duet.

It varies depending on what you're trying to achieve.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Schilke B3Lb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

It may be out of print now, but at one time there was an Arban's study outline known as The Prescott Study Series. I know that I've benefited from Prescott, as it breaks the Arban's book down into a week by week study plan which covers all (or most) areas of the book. I believe that I have Prescott 1 and 2, which covers years 1 through 4 and 5 through 8, respectively.

Best wishes in your search!

John MacGregor
Waukesha, WI
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that Clyde Hunt has a thing where he teaches you how to play/learn Arbans..

http://www.bflatmusic.com/hunt.html

I don't know anyone that has used it but i am sure someone will chime in...

I usually try to just incorporate a part of a difffernt section everyday (just a few minutes) to brush up on the skills..

have fun!

My Schilke X3Lb in Satin Gold
[img]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/3f4577e3_1283/bc/X/__hr_x.jpg?BCoZaR_ARis3g4PD[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: