• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hummel concerto...help with a recording?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetchick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a student auditioning for a major scholarship (Fletcher Scholarhip in North Carolina) using the Hummel concerto in E flat, first movement only. the audition is in a couple weeks and i am polishing the piece, but find i am wanting to hear the inflections and other specifics put into the piece by other musicians.
if anyone can help me find an online recording (free of charge, since i am a student and trying to survive with the little money i have), i would much appreciate it.
thank you!
there is more to silence than the absence of sound. being a musician, you must always consider that, and not be afraid of the absence of sound. in doing so, you free yourself and allow yourself to hear the music in the silence.
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just jump on one of the file sharing programs (Morpheus, Kazaa, Imesh) and do a search, I think the Wynton version is pretty common out there in mp3 land.

ChopsMcgraw
EIN808

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what recordings you have listened to but these are the ones that I have and also enjoy listening to.
Armando Ghitalla "Trumpet Emeritus"--Hard to describe it's just really good.
Jouko Harjanne with the aptly named "Trumpet Concertos"--also good..amazing sound, I think.
Guy Touvron--I think i have it...I might have the haydn but i'm sure it's the hummel. but he also really good.
There are probably alot more recordings out there maybe one of maurice andre, etc, etc. but those are the ones i have and listened to.
FINALLY,
If you want, being a student myself i understand having no money, I can mp3 the first mvt of the recordings i have. email me at ein808@yahoo.com we can work out a way to get it too...icq maybe, file attachment, whatevers.
Mike Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi trumpetchick!

For Hummel in Eb listen to Wynton (don't you just love that rich pedal F on his Bb horn!!!).

My pick overall is Hakan Hardenberger on Philips: if you haven't heard this, it will blow your mind and ears! Hakan's recording is in E.

All the best with your Hummel,
Mike
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on Timofei Dokschitzer's _Trumpet Rhapsody_, which is budget-priced and probably his most widely available CD. It should be available at most of the popular online music vendors for around 10 bucks.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-23 13:40 ]
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, last time I checked, Wynton didn't play the hummel on a Bb. Were you being sarcastic about the pedal F??
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynton may at times play this on an Eb trumpet. If so the Pedal F on a Bb trumpet, would be merely a pedal C on the Eb trumpet. If he was using his Schilke E4L, this would be a breeze.
screamertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadruple C is right. Go listen to that right now! Urban is a fantastic player with a great sound.
Trevor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: